+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamers: Are they bad people??

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gamers: Are they bad people??

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous
    - Gamers would rather game than spend time with their family!
    - Games are mindless, children waste their youth and teenage years on them to no gain!
    - Games are new fangled technology, and all new fangled technology is the devil!
    - Games these days are making this generaton slaves to electricity!
    - Gamers, they're all arrogant jerks! I met one once, and you should always judge people based off one encounter!
    - Gamers are lazy! Rather than learn an instrument, they are content to play their new Guitar Hero. Rather than learn to dance, they step on oversized direction buttons in DDR
    thats not true at all. and i take offence to all of what you just said.
    I am a big gamer. yes i am. but i still have a life outside of it.
    -i love spending time with my family. Not with my lil bros all the time cause they can get annoying but love with them and the rest of my family
    -thats not true. Im not mindless. I have a mind. thats what i need to be able to work on those tough problems that you have to solve.
    -games are games. lil bits and bytes put together.
    -and i am not a slave to technology. i love going outdoors. I am a big camper. I spend over a week every summer out in the wilderness camping with no technology at all.
    -and gamers are not arogant. i am not. if you saw me you would't think of me as being one. I am loved by many people. and i have maybe like 5 gamer friends. out of like 40 or 50 friends or more that i have.
    -and you can't be lazy to RUN TRACK! specailly long distance. I do the mile run or 800. yea you cant be lazy for taht stuff. And i run 3 miles a day at practice.

so yea thats all a stariotype thats all it is. Just like you put stario types on anime people. I mean i can they are just as lazy too. i mean you watch tv. thats just as lazy. so you cant say that gamers are lazy. Oh and some people care more about watching anime than spending time with their family. i could say that too. but i cant cause its not true for everyone.
    Everyone is different.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness
    People probably want to escape their parents especially if they bring them down or argue a lot.
    I think that's a good point. From the other perspective though, I think some parents would like to blame the video games for such behavior, rather than themselves or something else. Games are an easy target for such things, I suppose.

That's a comment overly religious, ignorant, and most Southern people who don't like change would say. Trust me my dad's an engineer he has to deal with it everyday.
    Also a good point. But then again, what of the people who play World of Warcraft 10 hours a day, 7 days a week? Of course, not many people fit that bill, but when you watch news stories about gamers, people usually take the most extreme example and generalize. Could this be a possible reason for such stereotypes?

DDR is hard. You try playing "Drop the Bomb" on Challenge Mode in DDR Extreme. You will lose more pounds doing that than playing the Wii.
    I've read some stories about how DDR can be almost as beneficial fitness wise to using tread mills.

...but anyways. I think the point some are making is that DDR and such games aren't like ball room dancing. Basically, there are games that emulate a skill, but aren't skills themselves that are applicable to real life, and yet they sometimes replace those.

I read a story recently about certain bars(It might have been karaoke bars, specifically, can't quite remember), that rather than have live performers, installed Guitar Hero in the place, and everyone was playing that instead. From this, maybe the arguement is that gamers are content with emulations over the real thing because its easier.

I think people should stop whinning about gaming.
    Definately a true statement. Most movies and other media come under a minimal amount of scrutiny(When was the last time someone heard that people who watch movies are bad people?), but gamers take flak from a lot of people, developers don't really get the recognition that other creaters in media get(Everyone knows Speilberg, but would random passerbys know Miyamoto?), and most truths about gaming are misconstrued constantly by those who haven't played them. In this way, I think the games industry could do more to shape up its image(No number of "Wii is good for health!" news bits can combat the onslaught of "Someone got killed. We found a PS2 in the murderer's room, it was games!" as it is.).

Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes
    thats not true at all. and i take offence to all of what you just said.
    I hope I caused no misunderstandings, I'm currently playing the role of Devil's Advocate for the sake of discussion. I disagree with most, if not all of my points, after all.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous
    I hope I caused no misunderstandings, I'm currently playing the role of Devil's Advocate for the sake of discussion. I disagree with most, if not all of my points, after all.
    oh ok sorry it just seemed as if it had come directly from you.lol. XD sorry.
    but yea you made some really good points on how someone on the outside would think of gamers.
    so yea. sorry.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Otaku Redragon495 is off to a good start Redragon495's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell being a gamer doesn't make you a bad person. That old man was freaking rude though.
    I sEe YoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsoyori33 View Post
    About a month ago I was in the video games section at a shopping mall when an elderly man approached me and asked if I was a gamer. I said "Yes" and he gave me a look of utter and complete scorn and said "Figures. All gamers are bums." I said back to him "And what about your children, or your grandchildren? I guess they're all bums too?" He says to me "Well thats different." And then I said back "Whats different?? I guess all of kids are bad people." Then he just walked off. Still glaring at me. Well are all of us gamers 'Evil People'?? Or is it another example of how stupid alot of people have gotten.mad:

That conversation was very odd! i don't think gamers are bad people ,are we?! ... but older generations think we're "bad" from the point of view of utterly wasting our precious life time in things that won't back us up in real life or so they think and they're not very wrong you know ... but still the thing i couldn't understand is why would his kin be different from strangers in this comparison to him? i couldn't get it ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

It's another example of how stupid peopleare. I've been a role-player since 87 and a gamer for a long time. Heck, my family had an atari2600 when they came out. There were people at college, when I went, who didn't understand the terms. Many of those I explained it to just went something like "Oh, then I'm possibly a gamer too since i play video games on the computer." Others were those kinds of people that wouldn't understand because they don't want to understand.

Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Thanks

no i think this is another case of discrimination in every sense how can one gamer be different from one's kids or relative to another who is not related to you. this guy who thinks gamers are bad think like that coz he may be seeing something bad in his kids or grand kids he doesn't want to acknowledge. i am a gamer and proud to be one .

ps: that old geezer should get himself a psp and start learning lol
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

Otaku Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln's Avatar
    5 minutes past where the church used to be.
    Thanks

Fooie! All you trying to say you're ok people, you're ALL bums... you durn gamers

j/king people. I too am a gamer. I do nothing like taking "examples" of violence and using them on people around me. The people i hate don't get treated any worse the more i play crysis =D lol.
    Last edited by Kool2bchilln; May 02, 2008 at 12:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast