+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Gamers: Are they bad people??

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gamers: Are they bad people??

True. And that goes the same for things other than games. Several years ago, an old lady committed suicide because her favorite soap opera charcter died.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster331 View Post
    True. And that goes the same for things other than games. Several years ago, an old lady committed suicide because her favorite soap opera charcter died.

No ,that's another thing ,that's called "CWS" (stands for "Celebrity Worship Syndrome") a new identified psychological condition and those people who commit suicide when their targeted character dies think that they'll join them because of their special bond and similar ideas ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku Lenne may be famous one day Lenne may be famous one day Lenne's Avatar
    Thanks

Gamers are not bad people...
    but I do think some of them
    are losers .. only sometimes..
    But it's not like I go up to their
    face point at them and say I
    think you are a loser! Everyone
    has their own opinion! I play
    games sometimes but I don't
    play games very often.. In better
    terms I would say I collect games
    rather than play them! Most people
    say I'm wasting money but I don't
    really care what people think of me!

Otaku mere is off to a good start mere's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't believe that gamers are bad people. I mean everyone has gotten attatched to one game or another throughout their lifetime. That would be more or less saying that most people are bad people.
    Then again older people probably think that gamers are evil cuz they have no preconseption of them.. in there times they most likely didn't have video-games to play... and mayb they are somewhat jellous or something to that effect.
    Anyways they might also say this because it seemes as if in these times that video games and mp3s are takeing away our comunication lines. Considering half or more of the student population walk around with their headphones on and the conversations in the halls are limited because of this.. same with games but in home life.. but then again that is probably why they have created live internet games where you are playing and can talk to multiple people during this time.
    lol..i got a little off topic there but..ya..
    in conlusion the elderly are afraid of what they don't understand that is probably one of my main inquires for this action of calling all gamers bad people. Truely they are just regular people like myself and all others.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenne View Post
    Gamers are not bad people...
    but I do think some of them
    are losers .. only sometimes..
    But it's not like I go up to their
    face point at them and say I
    think you are a loser! Everyone
    has their own opinion! I play
    games sometimes but I don't
    play games very often.. In better
    terms I would say I collect games
    rather than play them! Most people
    say I'm wasting money but I don't
    really care what people think of me!
    Wow ,you remind me of someone!*looking at the mirror!!*
    i play half the games i actually buy ..
    and for a gamer to be a loser it depends ,to be honest a loser can be seen in any other side in this life.
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I don't believe that this really happened in such offensive black and white terms, so it's hard to comment.

Sounds like textbook imaginary persecution to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Yeah I agree, it sounds really iffy that an old man would walk up to you questioning whether you are a gamer instead of asking you if you were an immigrant.

If it did happen, just put him in a chokehold and put him to sleep.
    I agree with Tsurara and Legend. I find it highly implausable and improbable (not impossible) that an old man would just approcach you--out of a possible dozen others in the same section of the store--and just rant about gamers being "bums". It's never happened to me (at least not about gamers or gaming).

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    i love the fact that the Columbine incident was blamed on Doom and Wolfenstien. Do not blame the games. Blame the mental stability of the children, or the abiltity of the parent to keep an eye on their kids.
    I find it pretty hilarious too. Maybe if the kids were about five to eight and still HIGHLY impressionable and just suddenly decided to pull out daddy's gun and shoot up the school like he/she was in Vice City or San Andreas, THEN you could blame video games. You could probably even blame movies or music. But those so-called "kids" were in high school! All they did was made up an excuse to be crazy. I hate it when people like that give politicians ammunition to shoot down developers and publishers because of a damn game. Maybe if parents actually watched thier kids from time to time, we wouldn't have those kinds of situations. Lock up your weapons, buy games suitable for your children, keep them away from graphic movies and television, watch thier friends like a friggin' hawk!! Keep my entertainment out of it! What did I do to you? LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    A smack-talking 12-14 year old who's trying all his new cuss words that he just found on the TV? A never-leave-home nerd who talks down at you just because you just joined the game and trying things out for FUN? A bunch of immature children and men locked into a single room making fun of celebrities and pop singers when they've never really seen or heard more than 2 things from them? A little child who'd rather play an extremely complex game rather than find the joys in something as simple as a race or a pillow fight?

Oh yes, I do find something wrong with gamers.
    Y'know, you've pretty much listed people with serious behavioral or social disorders. Maybe even people who just make thier entertainment an obesssion. But that's not EVERY gamer. If that were the case, I'd have never worked a day in my life, I wouldn't have any friends outside of my various online friends lists, I wouldn't know how to carry myself in public and I probably would hate sunlight as much as vampires, cockroaches and prostitutes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai
    -but I find the shallowness, cockiness, and all-around uselessness in "ubergamers" or "hardcore gamers" or whatever they call themselves, rather... AGGRAVATING.
    I've separated myself from gamers for a damned-to-hell good reason.

I play games for fun, which is more than I can say for many gamers.
    RPG gamers play for story and character development...
    -while FF gamers play for the same damned-thing over and over again! JK! ...or am I?

Strategy gamers play for obvious things, FPS gamers play for THE MOMENT, Fighting gamers play for the skill, Racing gamers play to be #1, and etc etc etc...

..but rarely, OH SO RARELY, do I find gamers who actually play for FUN!
    No, people seem to misunderstand me, so let me simplify it with the biggest question of them all:

If you were in the spotlight, and thousands of people were cheering for you (or your opponent)... and let's say there was a big shiny trophy waiting for you...
    AND!
    IF YOU SAW THE PERFECT PLACE, TIME, AND WAY FOR YOU TO LOSE IN THE MOST DAZZLING WAY THAT COULD MAKE ALL THE CROWDS CHEER AND GENERATIONS OF PEOPLE WOULD REMEMBER SUCH A GLORIOUS MOMENT:
    Would you lose? Just for that moment.

If the answer is no, then you don't play games just for the FUN of it.
    ...the sad thing is, I've sacrificed my moment in the spotlight many times just so a dazzling moment like that could happen for a person... and the great thing is, I've destroyed many people by creating the most humiliating loss for them so that we all could get a great laugh or a strong handshake. ... and of course, I've also totally JUST missed the moment and did a rather "wtf?" suicide that killed the game.

...the fact is: It is just a game. And most of you gamers take yourself too seriously.
    Again, that's not every gamer!! I play competitively, yes. But it's mostly for fun. I'm competitive by nature, but I never talk trash (unless it's with a couple of my VERY good friends) and I'm never disrespectful. I DO, however, hate these so-called "elitists" who think that they're god's gift to the video game console and thier sh*t doesn't stink. Those people piss me off. But again... That's not EVERY gamer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Well, since we all seem to be on the same side, perhaps we should discuss the various possible reasons this hypothetical old man would think this way, then systematically shoot down the arguements?. EX:

- Gamers would rather game than spend time with their family!
    - Games are mindless, children waste their youth and teenage years on them to no gain!
    - Games are new fangled technology, and all new fangled technology is the devil!
    - Games these days are making this generaton slaves to electricity!
    - Gamers, they're all arrogant jerks! I met one once, and you should always judge people based off one encounter!
    - Gamers are lazy! Rather than learn an instrument, they are content to play their new Guitar Hero. Rather than learn to dance, they step on oversized direction buttons in DDR.

People who think gamers are bad people probably have a reason they think that way. For example, maybe the bad gamers are just the loudest and most apparent, despite being a minority.
    Those statements and others that are very similar can be used about damn near ANYBODY! And to me, that is friggin' hilarious!!!

-I don't like gamers! They're lazy good-for-nothin' leeches who like to use my hard earned money for their own habits.

-I don't like Black people! They're lazy good-for-nothin' leeches who like to use my hard earned money for their own habits.

-I don't like Mexicans! They're lazy good-for-nothin' leeches who like to use my hard earned money for their own habits.

LOL,!! Y'see what I'm sayin'?

Otaku katsoyori33 is off to a good start katsoyori33's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm... To me, calling ALL gamers bad is no different then RACISM. And y'know what? If any of you don't believe what I said about the old man calling me a bum that's fine with me. You don't have to. But anyway. The Elitists out there ARE jerks. But don't confuse them with the rest of us. What's the difference between movies and games? They are both forms of entertainment. And very similar. Games are like movies. You even hold a controller in your hand just like watching TV. In fact, a doctor did some research and said that people who play games are SMARTER than most people who DON'T play video games. He says also that games like Halo actually make people think more about what they're doing. It may sound like I'm making all this up, but I'm telling the truth. It was in one of IGNs 2007 issues.

Meow. :3

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Well, I've been out of the loop on this one for a little while it seems. I might just go off something that caught my eye. I'm not accusing Luminous of actually saying this stuff, just replying to them...

- Gamers would rather game than spend time with their family!
    - Games are mindless, children waste their youth and teenage years on them to no gain!
    Games have been proven to enhance hand/eye coordination, plus because you have to learn how to react in a new way, it trains the brain & extends the life of your memory, just as if you'd learned a second language.
    - Games are new fangled technology, and all new fangled technology is the devil!
    Two words-Pac Man. An oooold school game which has been around for ages. Popcorn is another. Then you've got your soccer, Aussie Rules, etc. Sports are games & they've been around for many a century. All that's happened is it's continuing in a form it transfered to decades ago.

As for the technology = devil part, let's just see how well Grampa goes without his pacemaker, put in during his micro-surgery...
    - Games these days are making this generaton slaves to electricity!
    Again, wanna try it without your pacemaker grampa...
    - Gamers, they're all arrogant jerks! I met one once, and you should always judge people based off one encounter!
    ...Just like all Asians are book nerds, all blacks are gangsters & so on. Generalizations tend to be way off target, from what I've seen.
    - Gamers are lazy! Rather than learn an instrument, they are content to play their new Guitar Hero. Rather than learn to dance, they step on oversized direction buttons in DDR.
    there probably are a good few who should spend a bit more lime doing laps of the block actually on foot rather in a game, but not all of them.

For example, maybe the bad gamers are just the loudest and most apparent, despite being a minority.
    Yeah, sounds very right to me. the ones that make the most noise spoil it for those who are nowhere near as bad as them, giving all gamers a bad name.

I'm a kinda involuntarily retired online gamer, my computer no longer able to handle it. Still, it was always for a bit of fun. I could never count the amount of times I blew myself up, especially while learning to Jihad-Jeep in BF2 & Bf2142.
    The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast