+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: games: good or bad?

Newbie iNonLemon is off to a good start iNonLemon's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: games: good or bad?

For me, video games are almost imperitive to have in my house.... since I dont have a phone to communicate with my friends, I use XBox Live... and my bro has a Wii so he can be a health nut and I can shoot people in the head.

But in all fairness, yes, video games are good as long as parents buy games rated by the ESRB for their childs age group.... I'm sick and tired of 10 year olds playing CoD:4
    XBL GT: TFT NonLemon

Yes, I have brought Lemon back!!

Newbie Full Metal Paladin is off to a good start Full Metal Paladin's Avatar
    Thanks

Gaming is great. Although I still marvel at how many people still think it's this childish anti-social niche hobby. There are a lot of games that are just the opposite of this stereotype. The Metal Gear Solid series for example delivers some of the best storytelling I've ever seen. Topics such as the Cold War, nuclear deterrence, human morality are all included as well as other social commentary.

And games are one of the most social activities we do, much more than going to the movies. People are playing games and interacting with each other. The Wii (ugh) is a great example of how social gaming is. Although unfortunately it is also a good example of how a company can forgo quality just to rake in the profits (and what a profit that is).

On another note, people cannot blame video games when they get addicted just as it is wrong (and stupid) to blame fast food restaurants when they get fat. Video games give people a sense of pleasure and there are bound to be people who can't handle that pleasure in moderation. Just as there are people who are addicted to food, television, sex, drugs, alcohol, people can get addicted to video games. It is up to them (or if they can't, then get help) to enjoy video games without being addicted or just give it up.

There's also been a lot of controversy over violent and mature content in video games. Well, that would be your department parents. If you don't want your kids to blow off peoples head in a digital environment then don't buy them Grand Theft Auto. If you don't want them to fap off to 3d girls then don't buy them Sexy Beach 2. Parents are getting upset that kids can still get their hands on these types of games in some ways. Well guess what, kids can get their hands a lot of things their parents don't know about like playboys, alcohol, and drugs. They either get it from friends or get someone older to buy it for them. This isn't new folks!

If you really don't want your kids playing these games then actually pay attention to what your kid does; if little jimmy is taking pictures of the girls at the strip club and you don't remember buying Grand Theft Auto IV then take it away and ground the kid. Don't sue the game industry, because it's not their job to take care of your kids, it's yours.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Paladin View Post
    Well guess what, kids can get their hands a lot of things their parents don't know about like playboys, alcohol, and drugs. They either get it from friends or get someone older to buy it for them. This isn't new folks!
    No it isn't. What is new is society looking the other way while it happens because it just doesn't care.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

As a gamer myself I think gaming is bad. Games can be time consuming, addictive (even more than drugs to some people), and sometimes demoralizing

Today's youth is so easily grabbed by games and instead of doing something useful most people would rather sit around and waste time on games.

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Banned Blobber Champion, Spiffyspeud Champion, Knockturn Alley Champion, Feed Lindsay Lohan Champion, Satisfaction Champion, Narnia - Rapid Retreat Champion, Matrix Dock Defense Champion, Defend the Attack Champion, Uncover the Imposter Champion, Kong v/s New York Champion, Resident Evil Apocalypse Champion The Beatle is off to a good start
    Thanks

I love games and yes I would say the new systems (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Wii) are way more addicting then the ones we have had before . I wouldn't say the games are bad but I would't say they are good. It matters on how the indepented person uses them I know some kids play them every second and thats all that matters to them which I think is really bad. I know some kids that they just play now and then for fun (when I say fun I mean gamers who are hardcore but dont play it every second) which I think is good. You cant really say games are bad just cause some people use them in a bad way same with anything else. I would say they are good for the person that plays a couple of hours (even more) a day but doesnt spend their whole life playing games doing nothing else me I over play Im a serious hardcore gamer that is nuts but I dont spend every second on it I say Good if used right.

Otaku Noodles is off to a good start Noodles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    No it isn't. What is new is society looking the other way while it happens because it just doesn't care.
    I find that funny! Its true in the way that we are all exposed to alot more things then we would have in the past. The games just changed with the times!

Since I love shooting games I dont have to say how little I care about how people veiw game violence. All that seems to be happing, is that games are starting to become alot more realistic! As long as there is that gaming rating system, they tried there best to keep it steered towards the group they're aiming at.

And I think games are a good outlet for aggresion. My parents play halo or boxing when there mad at each other! This is way they can beat up and kill each other without actually doing it.
    Mr. Fangs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3