Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Engineering

Newbie Hana_Chann may be famous one day Hana_Chann may be famous one day Hana_Chann's Avatar
    Thanks

Genetic Engineering

We were talking about this in my Biology Lab class. It involves the isolation, manipulation and reintroduction of DNA into cells or model organisms, usually to express a protein; basically making plants and animals 'better'.

+It's been used to make fruits like Tomatoes have a stronger skin (implanting animal cells into its membrane) so bugs can't pentrate it and when shipping it won't be bruised.

+Humans-By taking out the DNA nesarcry to for example, give a human possibly Downs Syndrom. (Basically endoing the DNA process and creating a human fetus to be without disease)

+Some fear that scientists will take it too far so that parents can choose if their child will be tall, short, stupid, intelligent etc.

What are your views?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Genetic Engineering

I think that people who fear that don't understand just how difficult such a thing would be, not to mention expensive.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

In food I don't think it' necassary
    I heard that they actually use viruses to keep the gene in place
    or sumthing like that
    heard it from one of my very good lecturerers
    in Humans, only to elminated diseases

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Good question, I beleve over time yes they could go to far and if G.E. become comen thives could change the way they look alowing them to "disapeare".
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

Genetic Engineering is great but alot of people think its bad even thou they don't know what it is :/ it could help alot of people out ~ + make food tolerant to some places and grow faster, have immunities, etc. I think people should welcome Genetic Engineering

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    make food tolerant to some places and grow faster, have immunities, etc.
    hmm.. I guess I agree with you there, but what about turning foods different colours? like I think they turned cauliflower purple? I think that's un needed. Making tomatoe skin tougher? I don't think thats needed either, what's wrong with a bit of bruising on a tomatoe, it's not going to kill us.

This is probably far fetched, but we are destroy the natural genetic make up of species, once you have GMO, they are very hard to get rid of, they spreaad fast. Those farmers who want to label their crop organic, can't if there nighbour has GMO products ( in Aust anyways), it's a guareented cross contamination.

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

another good thing would be pervent birthing defects. Think about it knowing that your baby with be born complety norm.
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightboyz View Post
    another good thing would be pervent birthing defects. Think about it knowing that your baby with be born complety norm.
    When that happens we will just enhance the term "normal". This enhances the idea of trying to create "perfect" humans.

I think that people who fear that don't understand just how difficult such a thing would be, not to mention expensive.
    There are many people/organizations who'd be willing to take on the huge costs for that research and I think it is being researched at full speed at this very moment.

Just like I said in the stem cell research thread: I greatly dispise messing with genetics and genetic research. I think it's a real Pandora's Box.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast