+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 83

Thread: Give marriage rights to gays?

  1. #25
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256 View Post
    Do I think that homosexuals should be allowed to marry?

    Frankly speaking, no I don't believe they should be allowed to marry. Marriage originates from religion. That being said religion goes against homosexuality (I'm talking about real religion not any of the modern day bull crap where you can just make one for the heck of it).

    I also believe that homosexuality is wrong as well. Don't mistake this for hatred though. I'm nice to homosexuals whenever I meet them and I don't try to attack them. I will always give the warning though when entering into a conversation with one that I am Christian and do believe that their lifestyle is wrong. I do not preach. God allows us all to live the lives we want and if they are homosexual then I don't see any chance of one random stranger changing the whole way they live their life. That being said I think it should be obvious that I don't have any homosexual friends as they are not the type of people I choose to be around.

    Back to the subject of marriage though. I think that marriage should go back to being a religious only tact and instead there should be a jointing system that is government managed. This would solve the problem of controversy with gays being married and would also appease atheist who are unhappy with marriage being a part of the government. I'm not saying everyone will be happy, but homosexuals will be recognized as a joined couple and it would separate church and state. Also I would be happy with this as a Christian because I don't believe you should bring politics into church. Church is about God not what political party you are in and government should be about managing the country in a fair and just matter.

    These are my views and I think they are fair ones.
    Why does marriage have to be a religious thing? I mean, people get married in the courts all the time BECAUSE they don't want to get married in a church. Separation of church and state is a wonderful thing. I seriously don't see anything wrong with the "lifestyles" of homosexuals and respect them as equals. Because, they ARE equal. I've said this before (as have a countless amount of others), homosexuals are being treated as the new black people. Back in the day, I'm sure there were tons of others that would've told me, "I don't agree with your lifestyle, I think it's wrong. You need to whiten up, black guy or go back to your own country." Oh, I'm sorry, you mean the one I was stolen from???

    Gay people don't CHOSE to be gay! Why do they need to be treated like they just raped or murdered someone? Why must we cast them aside like people with leprosy? Homosexuality wasn't a problem when the Romans were havin' all kinds of gay sex and taking over countries such as Israel (Where Judaism and Christianity were pretty much founded) AND the Romans founded the Catholic church! So, why now, of all times should anybody have a religious issue with homosexuality when the Catholic church was practically founded by an empire of 60% gay people?


  2. #26
    Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    Why does marriage have to be a religious thing?
    Well considering I mentioned that I'm Christian that should have let you know that I believe that marriage is a gift from God. So of course it has to be a religious thing if I'm talking about it.

    Gay people don't CHOSE to be gay!
    Homosexuality is completely a choice. Who you do is up to you. I've meet people who have homosexual temptations but they don't give into them. Why? Because they realize that not everything that feels good is right. I also hold a lot of respect for them to make a choice like that and overcome those temptations.

    Why must we cast them aside like people with leprosy?
    I've never stated that I cast them aside in such a manner. You don't approach a leper for fear of disease. I will still talk with a homosexual but as I stated earlier they aren't the kind of people that I choose to surround myself with. Much like how I don't like to be around drunkards.

    Homosexuality wasn't a problem when the Romans were havin' all kinds of gay sex
    Are you talking about the fact that in Ancient Rome it was considered okay for a slave owner to have sex with his slave( considered as property and not a person) willing or not? Otherwise it was looked down upon. Which also to note in the Codex Theodosianus (collection of Roman laws) there was a law that punished same sex marriage, sometimes even by death. Yes, it sounds like the Romans were very accepting of homosexuality.

    the Romans founded the Catholic church!
    So, why now, of all times should anybody have a religious issue with homosexuality when the Catholic church was practically founded by an empire of 60% gay people?
    I don't agree with or believe in Catholicism. As noted above I said I am Christian not Catholic. If you think they are the same thing then you really need to do more research on the subject.
    98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. If you are part of the 2% that are not, copy and paste this into your sig

    Sig By Me
    "We're all sinners in the hands of the loving God"

  3. #27
    Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    Well I am gay and Yes I want to get married in the future. I'd rather it be legal in all us states so it isn't a burden to me to have to travel to California just to be wed. Further more if I were wed in a different state it wouldn't be a legal marriage here in Pennsylvania. Obviously my opinion would be yes give us rights to marry same as you gave the colored community.(not being a racist) It took a long time for blacks to have rights and it IS going to take a long time for the LGBT Community to have those equal rights as well.

  4. #28
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256 View Post
    Homosexuality is completely a choice. Who you do is up to you. I've meet people who have homosexual temptations but they don't give into them. Why? Because they realize that not everything that feels good is right. I also hold a lot of respect for them to make a choice like that and overcome those temptations.
    If your friend has "homosexual temptation", chances are he's waaay deep in the closet and is really gay. You don't just wake up one morning and CHOOSE to be gay. You're trippin' dude. Not a single gay person I've met an gotten to know on a personal basis has ever just woke up and said, "*yawn* I think I'm gonna go out and give another guy some oral lovin'." To even think that anybody has a choice in the matter is ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256
    I've never stated that I cast them aside in such a manner. You don't approach a leper for fear of disease. I will still talk with a homosexual but as I stated earlier they aren't the kind of people that I choose to surround myself with. Much like how I don't like to be around drunkards.
    Your choice dude. That doesn't make them any less equal for being that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256
    Are you talking about the fact that in Ancient Rome it was considered okay for a slave owner to have sex with his slave( considered as property and not a person) willing or not? Otherwise it was looked down upon. Which also to note in the Codex Theodosianus (collection of Roman laws) there was a law that punished same sex marriage, sometimes even by death. Yes, it sounds like the Romans were very accepting of homosexuality.
    You're overlooking the fact that it was a sign of masculinity until people actually started writing against it and shunning the practice all together. And that "masculine expression" lasted for a LONG, long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256
    I don't agree with or believe in Catholicism. As noted above I said I am Christian not Catholic. If you think they are the same thing then you really need to do more research on the subject.
    You DO realize that Catholocism is still Christianity, right? It was the ONLY organized form of Christianity for a great long while. Before then, it was Jews who either believed Christ was the Messiah and the Jews who were still waiting for the Messiah. Not much of an organized religion there. I think it's funny that Protestants try to act like Catholocism isn't Christian. Do they not believe in Christ? Either way, you've completely missed my point entirely. I think YOU need to research the subject, my friend. You may be Protestant (meaning any other form of Christian besides Catholic) but that doesn't mean Catholics aren't of the same cloth. You're both praising the same Jesus. You just have different practices. I've done my fair share of bible studies in the thirty years I've been alive. Have you? I read other scriptures too AND my brother is a theology major. So, let's not make this an "I know more about religion than you" debate.


  5. #29
    AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    467
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    My friend Sprout has done a great job of conveying my own beliefs on this subject. Simply, people are all created equally, and deserve to live with the same inalienable human rights. One specific thing I want to touch on was the statement "Homosexuality is entirely a choice; You choose who you want to do." That's manipulation of fact right there. Of course you choose who to do, but you do not choose who you love. The act of engaging in homosexual behavior is different from being a homosexual.

    Who are we to call one person wrong for living as they wish? We are all human beings, and should not view ourselves as deserving or fit to decide what is acceptable and unacceptable in regards to the lives of others. There should be no human authority, only self governing beliefs. No person is above another, and nobody has the right to deny anyone an equal stake in life. Abstaining from what you do not condone is one thing, but to assert yourself over another person, no matter what you use as an excuse (religion, politics) is just self righteous, intolerant, bullying. Equal rights to all people.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mega For This Useful Post:

    atomik_sprout (Oct 23, 2010)

  7. #30
    Newbie Nocturne is off to a good start Nocturne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hidin' in your windows, snatchn' your people up.
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?


    Homosexuality is completely a choice. Who you do is up to you. I've meet people who have homosexual temptations but they don't give into them. Why? Because they realize that not everything that feels good is right. I also hold a lot of respect for them to make a choice like that and overcome those temptations.

    I respect your religious beliefs and understand you do not accept civil unions. However, science has been dabbling into figuring if it is a choice, or if it's genetics. Scientists have been finding out that , in fact, homosexuality is based on genes and people are passing this gene throughout generations. If this is proven true it means, just like race and sex, it's all in the DNA.

    THE GENETICS OF HOMOSEXUALITY | Serendip's Exchange Granted, the essay written is two years old, but still stands firm with information and facts.
    Last edited by Nocturne; Oct 23, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

    Orochimaru Fangirl ♥ | MMO Junkie

  8. #31
    Newbie bluewolf is off to a good start bluewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kakariko Village
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    In my opinion I believe that this country was created for freedom and I believe that 28th Amendment should be allowing anyone to marry anyone that they want and however many people as they want (as long as everyone in the marriage is of legal age and wants to be married to whoever). I'm a Southern Baptist and even though in most religions it's a sin to marry more than one person or of the same sex it's also a sin to believe in other religions and no one has ever had a problem with freedom of religion.
    I suppose Santa Claus doesn't go around delivering semi-automatics, extra mags, and cans of tear gas.

  9. #32
    Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

    Re: Give marriage rights to gays?

    Homosexuality is completely a choice. Who you do is up to you. I've meet people who have homosexual temptations but they don't give into them. Why? Because they realize that not everything that feels good is right. I also hold a lot of respect for them to make a choice like that and overcome those temptations.
    You say that we choose to be gay? We choose to get harassed and beat up and murdered?

    I hate the face that you can assume it is a choice. You are saying, that since we choose to like and F**k people of the same gender, we also chose to be beat up, harassed, murdered.

    I do not CHOOSE to be gay! I do not CHOOSE to have sex with women. I DO NOT CHOOSE to have the urges and feelings I have when it comes to seeing a very attractive girl walk near me. You must be talking about all those teen girls who decide "I'll pretend to like girls and guys so that more guys will want to date me."

    I am so so so sure that if we knew that we were going to be murdered for being who we were, we would have never came out.

    Religion is a choice.

    People who are gay can CHOOSE to hide it. They can CHOOSE to ignore it and pretend to be straight but they do not CHOOSE to get aroused by members of the same sex, same as you do not CHOOSE to be aroused by members of the opposite sex.

    I guess since people kill other people for their religious choices it is okay to kill people for their apparent choice of sexual orientation.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to starfire1036 For This Useful Post:

    atomik_sprout (Oct 23, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gays
    By zoolivemonster in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 09, 2009, 08:36 AM
  2. Government speaking about Gays
    By FallenSpiral in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Apr 06, 2008, 07:11 PM
  3. Should gays go to hell?
    By KuwiRules145 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: Dec 01, 2007, 03:30 PM
  4. How many gays/ bi's/ and lesbians are here at AO?
    By Rook in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 07, 2007, 07:54 PM
  5. Are gays illegel
    By anime_8000 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 04, 2006, 07:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts