View Poll Results: Is global warming a lie? (please read post before answering)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It Is a Lie.

3 10.34%
  • No, It is not a Lie.

21 72.41%
  • Undecided.

5 17.24%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming is just a lie!

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

Re: Global Warming is just a lie!

I wouldn't say it's a lie. Of course, to a certain degree (literally) it is a normal thing which occurs on our planet from time to time. However, I'm sure that it goes way too fast at the moment. And I really see how it affects myself. Some years ago I noticed a picture at my granddad's place which is actually pretty similar to the one Abu was posting. It shows the same glaciers, one picture shot in 1991 and the other one in 2001 ... And the glacier was receding dramatically. That was the first time where I really was aware of the whole global warming thing.
    So I think it is real and we should just try to not make it worse ... Although it seems it's not taken that seriously at the moment.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaderabbit View Post
    Say lets all stop using oil, OK now what about all the people make their living from selling you oil. What about them, are we to let them starve, to let those countries just die off. Oh, they can just all become farmers or something huh, in the desert...
     click to show spoiler

^
    Nigeria has oil, but look at its people.

sadly, oil money goes into the hands of greedy merchants and business more often than not, leaving the people high-and-dry. taking business away will take money away from them more than it will the people...

but then again, global trading and blah-blah is long and complicated, so it'd be difficult for us to really know...

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Just little changes isn't going to help though, the majority of global warming is caused from solar radiation, how in the world do we stop something that is effecting every planet? That is such a insane ideal, yeah we could probably do something to help slow it down in our country, but that doesn't mean that it is going to stop, there is just too much money in dirty energy.
    That's presuming that solar radiation is causing the current climate - truth is - with the amount of debate that is going on, we don't know. All we can do is learn to adapt to it and live with it.

Say lets all stop using oil, OK now what about all the people make their living from selling you oil. What about them, are we to let them starve, to let those countries just die off. Oh, they can just all become farmers or something huh, in the desert...
    and enter the epic job of the environmental planner xD It can be done, slowly, shifting the job bases from oil to others. Everyone knows it's stupid to suddenly say stop using oil - we are so reliant on it, the idea is to be prepared for it (meaning other industries for jobs, other methods of transport etc etc) so that when it does happen, it doesn't effect us as much as people think it will. As I said oil ain't going to last forever, we need to do it eventually.

I admit that oil is adding a little to destroy our atmosphere, but when the majority of it being destroyed is coming from outside of the earth, how can we stop something that is effecting the entire galaxy. We can't do anything to stop the sun from emitting radiation.
    Maybe we could design a synthetic atmosphere an experiment on the mars atmosphere, and try to thicken it, and protect the planet from harmful rays, an then see what effects and eco changes happen. Because as we speak it is also experiencing global warming... I guess our burning oil has caused its ice caps to melt too lol.
    We can't do anything. That's why we should be adapting to it.

I mean we all know it's happening right? That the earths climate is changing? Isn't that enough for us to start doing something? Instead of all this bickering about who caused it, more time could be spent on debating how to best go about adapting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

This is one of the growing concerns of the modern technological world, is that the issues that are developing require higher and higher levels of education and intelligence just to understand what the problems are. And if you lack either, the only thing that is left is the trust in the sources of information...

As an example, you might as well claim that Electricity is a lie! (It's actually channeled MAGIC!) because how many of you can actually prove that electrons exist!!!
    Very true. What makes it worse is that when scientists are debating on it - what are the public supposed to believe? Especially when all the media wants is a top selling story..

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Just little changes isn't going to help though, the majority of global warming is caused from solar radiation, how in the world do we stop something that is effecting every planet?
    Little changes do help, as little changes in the earth's system affect everyone slowly or rapidly, depending on the situation. It's true the Sun is growing larger and hotter, but it isn't in a rapid pace, like it was the seze of a pea yesterday and now it's a size of a basketball today. It's gradual, it will take another century.
    And, it's only affecting the inner planets - Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.
    Not the whole solar system nor the galaxy. Cuz the galaxy is too friggin big O_o

Oh, they can just all become farmers or something huh, in the desert...
    Well, there are some places where you can grow food. But like Gwen said, it's a job for environmental planner

I admit that oil is adding a little to destroy our atmosphere, but when the majority of it being destroyed is coming from outside of the earth, how can we stop something that is effecting the entire galaxy. We can't do anything to stop the sun from emitting radiation.
    It's also the fact that the gases we release destroy ozone layer and cause the thinning of the atmosphere. Keep in mind that ozone is just as thin as 3 sheets of paper or so. So if the sun is emitting radiation, our atmosphere should be able to block about 90%-94% of it. Industrial gases trap that radiation.

Maybe we could design a synthetic atmosphere an experiment on the mars atmosphere, and try to thicken it, and protect the planet from harmful rays, an then see what effects and eco changes happen. Because as we speak it is also experiencing global warming... I guess our burning oil has caused its ice caps to melt too lol.
    That's expensive. WEALLY expensive. Atmosphere has around 5 layers [if I remember correctly] which vary in temperature, density, gases, ions and certain properties. To be able to synthesize this on a global scale and assuming it would work is risky, really risky.
    Although some scientists are releasing synthetic compounds into the atmosphere which aids in the recovery of the ozone layer.

The most we can do is, rather than debating whether it's the sun's fault or our stupidity that's causing the destruction, we can rather do as much as we can to stop it.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

It's real and not a lie. True the Earth does go through a cycle, how ever we are sure as hell not helping anything by accelerating it. As said before even a few degree Temp differences can cause all sorts of problems from milled to extreme. Even a foot of extra water world wide in our oceans will cause massive flooding because when you think of a foot a water world wide one would think no big deal, well you have to realize how many tons of water that is. Even a few degrees of increase or decrees of Temp will have devastating effects on wild life. We Humans can adapt very quickly, how ever many plants and animals can not.
    Now some one asked how exactly does carbon emissions affect our Ozone compared to Solar radiation. Well here is a science lesson for those who do not know. Carbon molecules bond EXSTREAMLY well to damn near any other molecule which is why it’s so versatile, its bonding ability includes bonding with molecules that make our Ozone layer. As it passes through the Ozone layer it takes some of the Ozone with it do to their compatibility to bond with each other. The solar radiation from our sun is deflected for the most part by the Earths magnetic field which is powered by the Earths internal engine, its spinning core. Most of the harmful radiation is reflected around this EM Field and back out into space. How ever some types of radiation can penetrate this field trough light waves where it then comes into contact with our Ozone layer which filters out the rest of the radiation.
    As for the sun causing this, well it has not grown that much, well not enough to cause the problems we see today or in the near future. When it starts being the suns fault is when it starts to get through the Earth EM Field and slowly ripping away at our Ozone layer. But for that to happen the sun must be much bigger which entails it being closer for that to happen. But thats not for another few thousand to a Billian year down the road.
    Last edited by Scourge; Jan 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Thanks

Global warming is true. I'd say that when the population is increasing and the increase or demand for electricity and consumption is high this is part of it aside from the fact that the the atmosphere is thinning out......
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

Devoted Otaku Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i guess there'll allways be to sides of the story, like these people:

After IPCC, 26 scientists speak on global warming

Warm-up for a global-warming law

But it's properbly true about the global warm up, but i hope it's not true and then maybe it would be the world biggest practical joke....

Newbie Zeke Strife is off to a good start
    Thanks

A good way to see if global warming is a lie or not is to see weather patterns, global temperatures, and the sea levels. You keep on hearing blistering cold winters more often and that its getting hotter than usual. Also, you see sea levels rising, check the global map couple decades ago and compare it to now.

made by me ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast