+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: God or Blind Nature? (Mind vs Will) 1st Section

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: God or Blind Nature? (Mind vs Will) 1st Section

Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    Yes.
    Based on the evidence shown so far in this debate, it would seem so that both naturalism and theism have say to what the mind does through or without will.

But how about looking at it this way, if one naturalism or theism, had to be more credible than the other, which would it be, and why?

I would say theism would be more credible for the fact that naturalism may only make your body adapt in some cases rather than theism which gives the ability to choose freely of ones actions, rather than through experince.
    i believe that naturalism is a more credible explanation due to the fact that i feel there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power. Because naturalism has proven facts about our brain i find its side of the spectrum to be more believable.
    Why hello there!

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe our minds'/brains' behaviour and potential cannot be explained completely by both naturalism and theism.
    There is something about our unconscious mind that science cannot explain ... yet.

Also, like I said, the reason some people are able to achieve astounding results is not always because they have 'special talents', but rather they [or mostly their minds] perceive reality in a different way. And reality is based on what we expect to be conceivable within the parameters of the factual world we live in.
    Because our brain also has a will, you see. It’s like, the more you train your brain, the more things you will see in a different perspective. And if your mind is happy, it’ll treat your body well, without you knowing it most of the time. I’ll agree with Arrianna, though – “neither excludes the other”.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    i believe that naturalism is a more credible explanation due to the fact that i feel there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power. Because naturalism has proven facts about our brain i find its side of the spectrum to be more believable.
    I believe in this case "theism" does not require a belief in a higher power. The concept is that there is a will or intelligence that transcends the constraints of the body. There are many beliefs that have nothing to do with theology that have come out with reasons that would explain this.

Not to get Jedi on the conversation but... there is definite evidence in a "global consciousness". That information and occurrences can be transmitted to the minds of other animals of the same species without their being present or even in contact. If our minds are plugged into this global consciousness is it so hard to believe there could be another source of our intelligence then merely the physical body?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Not to get Jedi on the conversation but... there is definite evidence in a "global consciousness". That information and occurrences can be transmitted to the minds of other animals of the same species without their being present or even in contact. If our minds are plugged into this global consciousness is it so hard to believe there could be another source of our intelligence then merely the physical body?
    Maybe it's because we are created by the same matter just like the Earth, so it is possible that we are all connected and what happens around us affects us indirectly.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_Grip View Post
    Maybe it's because we are created by the same matter just like the Earth, so it is possible that we are all connected and what happens around us affects us indirectly.
    What kind of matter would that be though? It couldn't be a physical matter as we understand it but perhaps a type of energy matter. Since all things are found to have things like electrical fields etc it would be believable but something that our science is hardly up to really discovering at this time. Perhaps quantum physics can discover it. I believe it but that doesn't make it not "unseen" as of yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    What kind of matter would that be though? It couldn't be a physical matter as we understand it but perhaps a type of energy matter. Since all things are found to have things like electrical fields etc it would be believable but something that our science is hardly up to really discovering at this time. Perhaps quantum physics can discover it. I believe it but that doesn't make it not "unseen" as of yet.
    True. Every matter with mass produces its own gravitational field. And there are several types of rocks/stones that produce their own electrical fields e.g Stonehenge.

And I meant we are created by the same elements as the Universe; such as quarks, electrons, hydrogen, carbon etc ... so it wouldn't be surprising that we are all connected in many ways.

Thanks

I would completely agree. Another thought. Just because we are incapable of measuring something mass currently does that mean it doesn't have any?

Thanks

Do you mean the gravitational field? Because we are able to measure it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast