+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusDemon23 View Post
    Screw that, I'm agreeing with Graffitists everywhere. The only ppl that need paint kept away from them is the huffers. honestly, ppl should be glad gangstas spend all that time tagging things up. Better than them planning a drive-by, right? Or breaking-in those places they tagged and stealing shit.This is another case of making a mountain outta a molehill.
    Sure, there's legal ways to be artistic, but when you can't afford college and so much not into school that you can't make the grades for a grant, what else can you do, right?
    You don't really have to have good grades to do a grant proposal for public art. Hell, you dont have to have grades at all. All you need is a good idea. you need to be able to accurately SHOW your idea and how you plan to go about it. You need previous work samples to prove you have the skill... And lastly (but certainly not least) you need someone who'd be willing to fund you.... Which is the hardest part (aside from getting an approval), but can be done with a little research.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Very amusing thread here.

In most cases graffiti isn't some great work of art created by hidden insecure artists spread across the world. It mostly a bunch of "hidden messages" or garbage which some groups find important to them.

I have to admit that some of those symbols are pretty flashy and sometimes appealing to the eye, but they really don't mean jack to the general public. You can find thousands upon thousands of the simillar patterns across the northern states. Rarely anyone would try to come out and look at them with great interest. Even gangs can look at those and not even shrug in dissapointment.

Nowadays graffiti has lost what ture meaning or effect it had on people; it's merely seen as vandalism and disturbance of the neighbors second coat of paint. Like a lot of things, it has been taken over by fads and lost to an overwhelming amount of crap.

If someone wants to make some artistc or meaningful graffiti, go to the southern states and get permission to do something on their benches and brick walls. Thats just about the only place where spray paint can be acknowleged or taken seriously.

Happened to forget about the Id thing. I don't know much about the lawas where I am at now, but I would probably agree with gwenibe's (below me) thoughts on why you would need ID. Considering being a window for gang bangers and for vandalism, kinda makes me laugh. Kinda pathetically sad how someone would see that as a solution or a serious problem.
    Last edited by Tbaism; Mar 23, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    . I believe graffiti is two seperate things within itself. Art, and vandelism.
    And I agree. Cool let's go paint all over some ones property. It is vandelism not art.

But I do agree that some graffiti is good. It sad to see such talent going to waste on some ones wall who didn't want it there in the first place. Think of the money they could make if they'd only apply themselves to something other than defacing people property. Plus, think of all the creative industries they could get themselves into. I'm not sure that all graffiti is gang related though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    You don't really have to have good grades to do a grant proposal for public art. Hell, you dont have to have grades at all. All you need is a good idea. you need to be able to accurately SHOW your idea and how you plan to go about it. You need previous work samples to prove you have the skill... And lastly (but certainly not least) you need someone who'd be willing to fund you.... Which is the hardest part (aside from getting an approval), but can be done with a little research.
    :nods: Infact at a city here, they got a bunch of kid's who got caught graffitiing and gave them a space to be able to do it, aswell as some postal boxes around the area. And do they have talent and it makes the city looks more lively and cultural. It also attracted alot of people who haven't been caught yet. Infact one of those who were caught was on TV encouraging businesses, local councils to do the same

And as for showing ID for buy spray cans, and having to lock them up, it already happens here, but I don't think the moving reason was for graffiti, I think it was to stop kids from sniffing the stuff

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Graffitti used to be an art, used by people to either show their emotions, prove their creativity, and yeah you get the idea ^_^
    It wasn't supposed to be gangsterous and all. They just took it that way, and now you'll find different types of graffitti, which I can't remember ^^;

Otaku Lotski is off to a good start
    Thanks

Let's see, i think that depends.. Maybe in your place,
    there are only few who's making graffiti on walls.
    If you go to other places especially in
    third world countries, graffiti is everywhere!!
    Kids & Gangs are making the walls or the place like an EVIL place!

In that case, they really should restrict kids to buy
    spray paints, show ID's and all..
    I agree to the City Officials for that.

If you really want to make an art, do it in a competition or
    you make it as a collection to show it off to everyone ..
    In that way, you can call it your WORK of ART.

If you don't like me, it's mind over matter.
    I don't mind and you don't matter

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

my idea of art is, an expression of your heart. Something you feel. Something that is next to blood in your body.

Consequently, i think ALL tagging can be considered art. Down to scrowling down names or slurs. If there is heart in it, then it's art. Even the need for "survival" comes from the heart, and can be considered art.

However, i don't agree with or endorse it. If it cause the hurt and pain and sadness to the comon people, if it defaces public property; then the city has the right to take it down. Regulating spray paint, will make it harder to get, but will not solve te problem. The problem is with gangs themselves....

So, yes take it down... however, i consider it art.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    Well the majority of graffiti out there isn't art.....just drive anywhere in any city, and it's just words/slurs/or insignia's that are painted around. Using a medium that has different colors doesn't make it immediately art.
    Totally untrue! Just because all YOU can see is word and insignias doesn't mean that it's not art. Mind you, there is a HUGE difference between bombs and pieces. You're probably thinking about a bomb. A bomber goes around just spraypainting plain text (although it looks a bit flashy), and a person who pieces is actually doing something artistic. Alot of gang graffiti is just bombs. I do a little bit of both: Bomb and Piece.

....so then are the graffiti artists trying to get a grant by writing on walls? If they can afford to buy spray paint, then they can easily afford to by other art supplies.

Funnily enough, just last monday we had some graffiti painted around where we lived (they decided to write some slurs on our trees, so I had to do some trimming). They also painted up every sign post and flat surface (other than houses) they could find.

I don't see a problem with the ordinance.....I don't know of a SINGLE person that I went to middle school or high school with that needed to buy spray paint for any sort of art. I'm pretty sure the majority of under 18 kids don't use any sort of spray paint for artistic purposes, and those that do are a limited few.
    Yes! You CAN get grants for spray-painting! I worked for a group called Juxtaposition Arts (Peach_Follows, you know who I'm talkin' about). They collect grants, and building owners will pay them to spray-paint murals on their walls. I got paid $1500 just for spray-painting on a grocery store. Now, I do more illegal spray-painting than legal, but I'm no vandal. Vandalism is defined as destruction of public property. I don't destroy shit... I make it pretty! LOL.

I know plenty of people I went to school with that NEEDED spray-paint for their art! Graffiti is an art-form after all, and sometimes that's all one knows, or that's all one grew up around. And there are plenty of kids under 18 who use spray-paint for purely artistic purposes! Limited few, my rear. Juxtaposition Arts recruits about 15-20 new kids a year to teach about spray-painting (as well as other art mediums).

I think that people who hate on graffiti have a very bias and uneducated view on the art-form.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    I have to admit that some of those symbols are pretty flashy and sometimes appealing to the eye, but they really don't mean jack to the general public. You can find thousands upon thousands of the simillar patterns across the northern states. Rarely anyone would try to come out and look at them with great interest. Even gangs can look at those and not even shrug in dissapointment.
    Um. I have to dissagree with this. But maybe only partially, because maybe you're referring to CRAP graffiti, in which case... you'd be right. But for the most part, Graffiti is a tremendously valued form of art. Even in the most esteemed of atisitc communities.
    Its valued in the sense that it is part of an urban CULTURE! And there is plenty of good graffiti! People who dont understand what goes into graffiti may just shrug it off. But If you know what its all I about you learn to QUICKLY respect it. And I know plenty of people who are connoisseurs of GOOD graffiti.
    ... Not Ever Again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast