+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Vandalism is defined as destruction of public property. I don't destroy shit... I make it pretty!
    No, it is defined as *"the willful or malicious destruction or defacement of property". That means both public and private. And yes, if you spray paint on someone else's wall and they don't want it there and have to pay to have it removed you have defaced it, not to mention trespassed.

Save your art for legal jobs where you don't have to vandalize someone else's property. Otherwise you are no better then the "bombers".

*Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Graffiti is both an art and vandalelism.That's true.Consider all the times that graffiti ever appeared.A majority of those times are in public areas.That is called vandelism and it makes that area a bad reputation.However,graffiti can is an art because it allows the person to express themselves and that be done in areas where they are allowed.Hence graffiti has both good and bad values.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    No, it is defined as *"the willful or malicious destruction or defacement of property". That means both public and private. And yes, if you spray paint on someone else's wall and they don't want it there and have to pay to have it removed you have defaced it, not to mention trespassed.

Save your art for legal jobs where you don't have to vandalize someone else's property. Otherwise you are no better then the "bombers".

*Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    Yo, I don't tell you how to do your job, now do I?

ANYWAY, I've seen very nice pieces on bridges, trains, and buildings withstand a good decade plus before it gets painted over. The spot where all the graffiti artists went to--the very same spot that I claimed as my very own "tag territory"--had went untouched until just this year. That means that I've had a good seven years worth of pieces AND bombs in that area AND within a good seven block radius of that place.

Now, I'm postively sure that people can tell the difference between gang graffiti and artistic graffiti. Now, no matter where I go, gang stuff will get painted over in a HEARTBEAT!! Anything else will stay, unless the property is a house, school/library, or cooporate building. I don't touch shit that I know will have an affect on my community. I paint on things that needed the touch up. Places people will walk by and say, "Wow!" Things that I KNOW that nobody cares about.

Until you touch a can of spraypaint and have the exact same experiences as myself and about ten of my closest friends, you can't say what I should and shouldn't do. And you can't look at graffiti as vandalism, because there are several different types of "vandalism". Hell, ARSON is vandalism!! But you don't see me burning shit down!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yo, I don't tell you how to do your job, now do I?
    My job doesn't involve breaking the law or defacing others property. I am also an artist and greatly enjoy and recognize legal graffiti art. If something needs touching up then ask permission. Do it legally or you are no better then bombers.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    My job doesn't involve breaking the law or defacing others property. I am also an artist and greatly enjoy and recognize legal graffiti art. If something needs touching up then ask permission. Do it legally or you are no better then bombers.

First of all, don't think that I don't have a legit job. I do work. But sketchbooks and painting canvases aren't the only art mediums around here. And I AM better than the toy-bombers, because I have a level of respect for certain properties. I only paint where I KNOW it won't piss someone off. Nobody cares about bridges or abandoned buildings! Trains... You got me on the train part. I had to run from plenty of railroad cops. But that's not the point.

I don't go around painting everything in sight, and I know for a FACT that most people that spray-paint have the same philosophy as me. You can't hate on it, solely because it's illegal. I don't bitch at people for jaywalking. And I don't preach at under age drinkers, so you can't really think that it's cool to discriminate against graffiti artists.

Thanks

You still miss it. I love graffiti art. It's gorgeous and reminds me of air brushed art only bigger (I wonder why ) It's the illegal aspects I don't care for. Partly because it's disrespectful to damage someone else property, and yes it is still damage even when it's artistic, and partly because you have set up a temporary canvas. By painting in an illegal location you not only break the law you doom your art to temporariness. It is only a matter of time till it is painted over by the legal owners. Art should be preserved for the generations to come. Legal wall art often is even if it has to be touched up from time to time. By treating your talents in such a matter you not only disrespect the owners of the properties, disrespect the law, you disrespect your gift as well. An equal crime in my opinion.

So, yes I can hate ILLEGAL graffiti art whether you like it or not.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay, I already made my disgust with this known (see my blog for my view on this), so I want your opinion. The following is an article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune (my local paper):

Mpls. To Tighten Restrictions On Spray-Paint Sales

Minneapolis The Minneapolis City Council is looking at cracking down on graffiti by tightly regulating spray-paint sales.

A council committee has adopted an amended ordinance that would require Minneapolis retailers to keep closer tabs on who's buying spray paint, paint sticks and broad-tipped markers.

City officials see graffiti as a link to gangs and violence.

But retailers balked last year at a council proposal to require them to lock spray paint in cabinets.

Under the amended ordinance, retailers would have to ask for an ID when selling spray paint to young people.

The full Council takes up the ordinance on March 30. Enforcement would begin this summer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is graffiti that bad? I always considered it art. But most people think it's gang related, yet I hardly see any gang graffiti. It's usually a loner, or someone representing their "crew". I've never seen a tag crews fight, unless it was with spray-paint. What do you think?
    ok so i've been doing some research and stuff, an di found that its mostly word art and it has nothing to do with gangs. Gangs just use grafitti becuase it looks cool and things like that. no one cares if its from a gang but there is a diffrence between vandalism when u write like ohh im the best on the wall or u do some crazy word art. Gangs didn't make up graffiti.

Otaku Ritoru-chan may be famous one day Ritoru-chan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Whats funny about this is some companies and even governments pay people who do grafitti to "art" up their buildings and other projects. They did that on a bridge along a bike path where I use to live. I don't think its bad, I use to look for them when the trains would pass when I was driving with my Mom.
    "You know what the trouble about real life is? There's no danger music." -- The Cable Guy
    Photography | @Twitter | Website

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast