+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Some cities have begun painting over the graffiti, whether it's bad or not, paid for or not. There is some good and/or inspiring art one day, and the next there's nothing but white. Cold, unfeeling white. I think that that is wrong. Now, I was grateful when they covered up the swear words at the children's park by my house, but other stuff really pissed me off.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ritoru-chan View Post
    Whats funny about this is some companies and even governments pay people who do grafitti to "art" up their buildings and other projects. They did that on a bridge along a bike path where I use to live. I don't think its bad, I use to look for them when the trains would pass when I was driving with my Mom.
    actually a lot of companies belive that it looks cool around some movies or just to advertise new products but in order to do so the companies must obtain that peice of land and yes. Other than that, companies dont write cruel or owl language words for graffiti but gangs do and that about the jist of most diffrences. Some graffitis will ahve the persons nickname painted or a curse word of some sort. Adversisments will have the name of the company or product and things that could advertise the product

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, if you wanna get technical, all graffiti--legal or not--is temporary. I've been paid to work on a spray-paint mural, and about a year or two later, the building was torn down to put up a god damned CVS!! I'm STILL mad about that. So it really doesn't matter--either way, your art is doomed for destruction. That just comes with the territory. That's why you find new "canvases". That's the fun part about graffiti. There's always a new challenge, a new canvas, a new escape plan--LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    You still miss it. I love graffiti art. It's gorgeous and reminds me of air brushed art only bigger (I wonder why ) It's the illegal aspects I don't care for. Partly because it's disrespectful to damage someone else property, and yes it is still damage even when it's artistic, and partly because you have set up a temporary canvas. By painting in an illegal location you not only break the law you doom your art to temporariness. It is only a matter of time till it is painted over by the legal owners. Art should be preserved for the generations to come. Legal wall art often is even if it has to be touched up from time to time. By treating your talents in such a matter you not only disrespect the owners of the properties, disrespect the law, you disrespect your gift as well. An equal crime in my opinion.

So, yes I can hate ILLEGAL graffiti art whether you like it or not.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Okay, I already made my disgust with this known (see my blog for my view on this), so I want your opinion. The following is an article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune (my local paper):

Mpls. To Tighten Restrictions On Spray-Paint Sales

Minneapolis The Minneapolis City Council is looking at cracking down on graffiti by tightly regulating spray-paint sales.

A council committee has adopted an amended ordinance that would require Minneapolis retailers to keep closer tabs on who's buying spray paint, paint sticks and broad-tipped markers.

City officials see graffiti as a link to gangs and violence.

But retailers balked last year at a council proposal to require them to lock spray paint in cabinets.

Under the amended ordinance, retailers would have to ask for an ID when selling spray paint to young people.

The full Council takes up the ordinance on March 30. Enforcement would begin this summer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is graffiti that bad? I always considered it art. But most people think it's gang related, yet I hardly see any gang graffiti. It's usually a loner, or someone representing their "crew". I've never seen a tag crews fight, unless it was with spray-paint. What do you think?

No, I think it is not that bad.... what I do think is that is in bad place. The ppl that draw graffiti should have a specific and special place to express their art.... but 'cos no one has provide any..... their expression place is the walls of the street. For me that's an awesome art. To tell those ppl to stop doing them is almost to tell them "Do not breathe"
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout
    Is graffiti that bad? I always considered it art. But most people think it's gang related, yet I hardly see any gang graffiti. It's usually a loner, or someone representing their "crew". I've never seen a tag crews fight, unless it was with spray-paint. What do you think?
    I actually agree with you. I see it all as art. Illegal or not it amazes me what some people can come up with on the sides of buildings or objects. Some people look at graffiti as some low class punk who vandalizes property. Honestly, art is everywhere. There are some murals I've seen in my city and I stand in awe at people's creations. Basquiat did become very famous because of his graffiti works on the side of buildings and other places. He went from a bum to a successful artist. So there are some positives to graffiti. That and it leaves your work annonymous and a beautiful sight for anyone to see.

DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    No, I think it is not that bad.... what I do think is that is in bad place. The ppl that draw graffiti should have a specific and special place to express their art.... but 'cos no one has provide any..... their expression place is the walls of the street. For me that's an awesome art. To tell those ppl to stop doing them is almost to tell them "Do not breathe"
    Well, there are certain places one can go to, where you can paint all day long--LEGALLY. But the only one I know of HERE (It's called Intermediate Arts, for those of you who live in Minneapolis) is too far for me to travel, just to tag on the legal side. I'd rather take my chances with the law, to be quite honest with you. If this state were more supportive of art, in general, I'd have more than one place to go and paint.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Graffiti: Artwork or Gang propaganda??

Well, there are certain places one can go to, where you can paint all day long--LEGALLY. But the only one I know of HERE (It's called Intermediate Arts, for those of you who live in Minneapolis) is too far for me to travel, just to tag on the legal side. I'd rather take my chances with the law, to be quite honest with you. If this state were more supportive of art, in general, I'd have more than one place to go and paint.
    ON agreenment with u yes there is a need of more places and not only that but also with a low cost prices.... If one sees the awesome artists most of the time do not have the enough money to effort a good place for art.
    It is ridiculous that the only place that exists for that is so far away from many ppl..... it should be at least 5 on every state.... or more according to the population of that particular state
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay, I already made my disgust with this known (see my blog for my view on this), so I want your opinion. The following is an article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune (my local paper):

Mpls. To Tighten Restrictions On Spray-Paint Sales

Minneapolis The Minneapolis City Council is looking at cracking down on graffiti by tightly regulating spray-paint sales.

A council committee has adopted an amended ordinance that would require Minneapolis retailers to keep closer tabs on who's buying spray paint, paint sticks and broad-tipped markers.

City officials see graffiti as a link to gangs and violence.

But retailers balked last year at a council proposal to require them to lock spray paint in cabinets.

Under the amended ordinance, retailers would have to ask for an ID when selling spray paint to young people.

The full Council takes up the ordinance on March 30. Enforcement would begin this summer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sooo they want to id on spray paint when spray paint does not need the person to be of age, it does not cause someone to be intoxicated (most times), it isnt used to hurt people. Soooo they want to id to invade personal privacy? How ridiculous and it sounds like it could overlap our constitutional rights.
    Who's to say they won't go to another county to buy? Or to buy online. I dont see how this is hurting anyone. Graffiti is art and gang propaganda, who cares. Instead of limiting paint sales. Why don't they just make a law of what they can't paint on. Like homes, businesses, and schools. But public property is ok? I think graffiti is intriguing.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast