+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: halloween (Is it Bad? or Good?)

Newbie Hana_Chann may be famous one day Hana_Chann may be famous one day Hana_Chann's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't see anything wrong with it, I like Halloween, you get to dress up and you get candy ^^ Even in college we celebrate it; they give out candy and snowcones, and we're allowed to dress up ^^
    At one time it was believed to be when the evil spirts walked the earth and by dressing up it scared them away....and gradually it came to be a childrens holiday that still used costumes.

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    That is false and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to be educated.

Please read my previous posts.
    uhhhh yea i get all you sayin but uhhh you arent sure how halloween is originated. no one does., and how did you get that the meaning of trick oir treat was swtarted by boycouts in 1920-1930's? that is false.

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks
    The proper name for the occassion is Samhain (pronounced Sow-en or Sow-een). It's sometimes referred to as the Witches New Year, because our religious year starts/ends with Samhain. The holiday began being called "Halloween" because the Catholic church created All Saints Day (or All Hallows Day) on November 1st, in an attempt to turn people away from the original Pagan holiday. The night before became known as "All Hallows Eve", which then got shortened up to Halloween.

you got part of your facts right on that

If you are concerned about the Pagan nature of October 31st, then you should probably stop celebrating Christmas and Easter, too. Though those holidays have been thoroughly adopted by the Christian religion, they were both originally Pagan celebrations (Yule and Ostara). Halloween is the only holiday that has kept most of its Pagan meanings, without the Christian overtones.

it is a peagan holiday catholics overran it

Many fundamentalist Christian groups stand against the celebration of Halloween because they feel it is associated with demons and Satan. Unfortunately, most (if not all) of their 'facts' are incorrect.

The most common error, is that Halloween is celebrated to honour the Celtic God of the Dead, Samhain. The Celts had no such God. The word "Samhain" more likely came from "samhuinn", which is the Gaelic word for "summer's end". A fitting name, since that is precisely what this holiday is celebrating

So now you know what Halloween isn't, but what does Halloween mean? Well, to Pagans who celebrate Samhain, it is the third and last of the year's harvest festivals. The crops are in, and it's time to relax and prepare for the long winter ahead. Samhain is a time to reflect on the events of the past year, and to remember those who have passed away. It's at this time of the year that spirits travel from this world to the next. Both good and evil spirits.

Many of the symbols and traditions that we see around Halloween today can be traced to earlier times. Carving of jack-o-lanterns probably started with turnips rather than pumpkins, but the idea is the same either way. With the spirits of the dead travelling on this day, people would carve faces into turnips (or gourds or whatever) in order to scare away any evil spirits. The dressing up in costumes was also done to scare off bad spirits.

im sorry but some of your facts are inncorrect. it is not a catholic hiliday it's pagan. it was adopted by catholics. thats what you mean

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Halloween is one of my favorite days of the year! Put on face paint all day, freak ppl out, go to a party.....yeah, Halloween kicks ass!
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks
    i don't understand why this discussion is even going on... why does anyone care what the orrigins of halloween? christmas and easter were NEVER pagan holidays. christmas is the celebration of christs bith and easter is his resurection. as for halloween, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Thanks
    well no duh it was a christian holiday(easter and christmas) but halloween is a pagen holiday.

Newbie CosplayingFangirl may be famous one day CosplayingFangirl may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i belive that christmas and halloween do have SOME pagen history but im a christian and i celebrate christmas and infact i work a halloween store i dont realy think this matters i think even if you are religous as long as you dont think of halloween in thoes ways and you just think of it as getting candy and dressing up then theres no harm! infact you could any day of the year in a costume and go ask for candy XD of corse most people probly wouldnt give it to you lmao and as for christmas i know its the birth of jesus but just random stuff i think have pagen history like christmas trees but we still have one.......i think this dicussion should end!, it all depends on what you belive and think

Thanks
    thats what im saying,. halloween all depends on how you celebrate it. it dont matter the meraning in my opnin eating candy and dressing up for fun to not be yourself for a night is fun.(and it's the only day a girl can look like a hooker for a day) but all this talk about the facts and dadedadeda, i had to correct

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast