+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harmful Attention Seeking: Cutting

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Harmful Attention Seeking: Cutting

So this has been something that has come up a few times in other topics of the past that I have been thinking about lately, for some odd reason. So I figured I would make a thread about what was on my mind.
    To start this off, my primary question is do you think people that are seeking attention in harmful ways should be given help or need help?

Cutting is a form of self mutilation and is very serious, definitely not something that should be ignored or encouraged in any form. I have noticed though that it seems to be blooming into something quite popular and normal. It seems everywhere I go someone is showing off the "cuts" on their arm to crowds of people. These are the type of people who are seeking attention, they aren't cutting themselves because they are depressed or for any of the other common reasons most people do it. Most people think this is just harmless and alot of people actually even think it is cool and start doing it themselves, but in all actuality, it's neither of those. Cutting yourself for attention takes help away from the people who really need it most. I am talking about the people who are the verge of suicide and may not be able to get into a clinic to see a doctor because someone who isn't really depressed is taking up their spot. I am not saying that everyone who comes to a psychologist or mental health doctor doesn't really need the help...all I am saying is...I think that some people need it worse than others and that there are certain people out there who don't really need it at all but get it anyway because they want the attention. I am not really sure if people who are seeking attention need professional help and if they do then by all means I hope they get it, as long as it doesn't stand in the way of people who are practically about to jump off a bridge in the blink of an eye.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Harmful Attention Seeking: Cutting

Yes some people do just to get noitced like some people would do a thing to make there friends go cool it happens and alwasy will some things i wouldnt do but theres alot of things i would do not to be noticed but for fun and some people would be like show off but some things you do to impress some you do for fun.

§-Breakdown-§ Breakout Champion, Bubble Popper Champion Akura13 may be famous one day Akura13's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, I hate it when people cut themselves just for the attention. It's so rediculouse! Why in the world would anyone risk their lives just for attention? Cutting yourself is very harmful and, in seriouse cases, can kill you. I wish people would stop doing that and learn to atract attention some other way.

Phantasmagoria Lives On In The Hearts Of Their Fans, Japanese AND English!
    "Because it's okay to hide your tears." - LM.C (Lovely Mocochang)

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

yea i dont think its right either.
    but you never know in some ways doing it to get attention can also be a sign of help.
    I know thats not always the case but i can see that someone might use this in order to get people to see that the person does have something wrong with them.

now if its just to make them look cool then no its not alright.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Yes its not right but if your cutting your arms your mostly likly being emo and trying to get peoples attetntion by saing my life sucks.

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GunGrave of Trigun View Post
    Yes its not right but if your cutting your arms your mostly likly being emo and trying to get peoples attetntion by saing my life sucks.
    How is that being "emo"?
    For one emo is a music genre not a way a person can be.
    I don't know what idiot decided to make "emo" a way or a style or whatever, but I am not a fan at all and really wish it would all just disappear into whatever craphole it came out of.

If someone is cutting their arm then they need help and they need it fast...cutting is something that can very well lead to suicide. Cutting is serious buisness, in my eyes it is a beat down form of suicide, you are practically killing yourself slowly. Not only can it lead to suicide but there is risk of infection in the cuts or many other possible things.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

So in other words: those "posers" cutting themselves should stop cutting themselves so that the attention can all go to the real goths and angst-tards who put their heart and soul into their bloodletting and cutting profanity into their arms?

What's the difference?

If an activity is harmful: we should be discouraging it in everyone. It should be a ridiculous outlet for misdirected teen angst, not a sign of depth, inner-pain or superior sorrow.

If you want to slice yourself up: that's fine by me. Just don't expect any sympathy on account of it ^^; You're doing it to yourself... it's hard to then turn around and claim victimhood.

Alcoholism, smoking, and bad driving lead to death far more often than cutting... do we shower attention and concern on our friends who drink, smoke or drive like morons? No... and if we dissaprove of drinking, smoking or bad driving: we most likely treat them like crap when they do :/

Go outside, smoker! You threw up all over my carpet, Wino! Should you really be drinking? You know, those'll kill you! Ugh, he's chain smoking, can we move? Get away, filthy drunk! Screw you a******! *middle finger*

When's the last time you flagged down the guy who cut you off on the freeway to offer him a hug and numbers for driving schools? >_<

Inanity.

Positive reinforcement reinforces negative behaviors.

If a kid throws a temper tantrum in a department store for a toy and gets the toy, you can be sure he's going to have another one the next time he wants something.
    Last edited by tsurara; Mar 17, 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

I see people who actually have mental and/or physiological issues [in their brain] and are practicing in self-mutilation need help. Quick. It's not like they themselves can consciously force their brain to function normally, to release a balanced number of chemicals, etc...

If someone thinks self-mutilation is cool... At first, I thought, "Hey, it's self, long as it doesn't involve anyone else, it's fine." but now I've changed my thoughts. Showing off their cuts to crowds of people? I think it's likely to hav any adverse effects on these crowds, especially youths, who are especially impressionable (developing minds and whatnot).

Public self-mutilation am I saying that right? would only further increase the craze... And I personally dislike the idea of increasing numbers of otherwise productive people cutting theselves.

Self-mutilation by otherwise sane people should be punished, in my perspective. Those who actually have mental disorders simply need help.
    Last edited by abby724; Mar 19, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Little typo. Ugh...
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast