+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Has the USA become a power hunrgy country?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Has the USA become a power hunrgy country?

Quote Originally Posted by kiara View Post
    Although Iraq was perfect for invasion not a war (Congress never ok'd us going into Iraq so therefore theres no war only congress can declare war)
    Try again:
    The Library of Congress:
    H.J.RES.114
    Title: To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq.
    <-link

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie kiara may be famous one day kiara may be famous one day kiara's Avatar
    NY USA hanging out with the teen titans lol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post

oh sorry link does not compute lol according to what you gave me congress gave action to use force in Iraq thats it. Theres was no authorization in that link that I saw to declare war there is a difference between using force and declaring war.

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Some people ask the... silliest questions.

Have you not read the papers and watched the news? The answer lies therein. Yes, it has and it has been for a rather long time.
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

oh sorry link does not compute lol according to what you gave me congress gave action to use force in Iraq thats it. Theres was no authorization in that link that I saw to declare war there is a difference between using force and declaring war.
    Let me just quote you again:
    Although Iraq was perfect for invasion not a war (Congress never ok'd us going into Iraq so therefore theres no war only congress can declare war)
    ...and lets see the name of that resolution again?

Oh yes, "To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq." and it's from Congress. What's more it obviously passed since it: "Became Public Law No: 107-243".

So try again.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Kiara is referring to the legal wording of the document, as it doesn't actually say "declaration of war," (unlike resolutions passed to join WWII, which specifically mention war...i.e, "Declaration of a State of War with Germany.")

WWII Resolutions/Declarations

Pretty much by leaving the phrasing open it allows the U.S more freedom in how they conduct their activities. For example, as much as this is pinned as being a "war," the U.S does not deem captured enemy combatants as "prisoners of war," (which is hypocritical, because if you're at 'war,' then combatants should immediately be P.O.W's). That's why there is a fuss about Guantanamo Bay, because the U.S is not treating the combatants as P.O.W's, and not giving them rights that are guaranteed by the Geneva Convention. It's selective use of the term 'war,' only when it suits their needs...(it's also a means of protecting U.S soldiers from being charged for war crimes by tribunals, because it allows the U.S to keep the process internalized, where the military investigates itself....i.e, the haditha killings).

So, in a sense you're both right. The phrasing of the document was done so in such a way as to say "we're going to war," without saying 'war', while leaving the legal phrasing open to give the U.S more flexing room.
    Last edited by Chubz; Jan 22, 2007 at 11:50 PM.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6