+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How the US handles the topic of race

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

How the US handles the topic of race

As stated in the title, what's your take on how Americans handle race. There aren't many countries out there that have as much diversity as we do, so I understand it will be hard to compare.

Our country seems to take a policy of "tolerance" instead of acceptance. Instead of celebrating and accepting the existence of different ethnicities, race, nationalities, there is a lot of pretending to be color blind. I feel this is the case. Take our media for example, a lot of them are really sensitive and hesitant when it comes to talking about race. Everyone has to choose their words wisely in order to make sure they don't offend anyone.

So what's your take?? Are other diverse countries doing better than us??

Who can we blame?? [just kidding]

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How the US handles the topic of race

Ok, not to offend anyone on the forum, I'm going to speak practicly here.

Alot of the stereo types that are associated with race, quite frankly, have very solid basis in fact. I see this everyday at my job (I'm a High Speed Internet tech support agent for Comcast Cable Systems). The biggest of which, I'm sad to say is "American's are lazy", but thats off topic, and a rant for another day.

Here's a prime example: "African Americans who live in the "Ghetto" are stupid and use alot of drugs"

Alot of people who do live in those area's more then likely don't, but I'm here to tell you that There are alot of them who do. I'd need an extra pair of hands to count how many calls I've taken from someone who was stoned in the last two weeks. When you can't figure out the difference between a phone cable and an ethernet cable when its explained as "One is bigger then the other", then there's some issues that need sorting out.

I do have to say that there is a problem of racisim in the States, and in the majority of the rest of the world, all I'm saying is that I can understand how someone can be racist when almost every stereotype can readily be narrowed down, quite easily too, to a basis in fact.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    As stated in the title, what's your take on how Americans handle race. There aren't many countries out there that have as much diversity as we do, so I understand it will be hard to compare.

Our country seems to take a policy of "tolerance" instead of acceptance. Instead of celebrating and accepting the existence of different ethnicities, race, nationalities, there is a lot of pretending to be color blind. I feel this is the case. Take our media for example, a lot of them are really sensitive and hesitant when it comes to talking about race. Everyone has to choose their words wisely in order to make sure they don't offend anyone.

I haveta disagree wit u on 1 thing, Legend, the media isn' as sensitive 'bout race as u have been lead ta believe. The media puts on a "face," so ta speak, and pretends ta b sensitive, but if u pay close attention; the media does alot of things that stirs the "racial" pot, if u catch my drift. For example, when it comes ta important issues concernin' our country, Why is it that the media has ta do separate polls for each race instead of doin' one of the country as a whole? Why is it that the media has ta separate what each race thinks 'bout concernin' the important issues in this country? For example, Why does the media haveta say that African-Americans prefer Barrack Obama, while White-American women prefer Hillary Clinton, etc.? When it concerns these issues, The media is very sneaky and subtle. By playin' the diversity of this country against one another the media generates ratings. The media sensitive? As sensitive as a rhino chargin' a truck, but as subtle 'bout it as a panther stalkin' its prey.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Take our media for example, a lot of them are really sensitive and hesitant when it comes to talking about race.
    Well, this is not very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    When it concerns these issues, The media is very sneaky and subtle.
    That is true, however it can be very blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Alot of the stereo types that are associated with race, quite frankly, have very solid basis in fact. .
    I honestly agree with this. And most of the different "raced" people I know agree with this.

My view is America...can treat it horribly, yet in a decent way.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Thanks

I wouldn't say that other countries are doing better. i would say they are just more tolerant but when it comes to media i would say that they still prefer to put people on the covers of the magazines more pale the better which is how they sell whitening products and well i wish people would accpet their skin. but there are still incidents where when people find out that you are not white they equate that to you are not smart. which is i wish they'd stop doing that. I am asian who grew up in the USA and am proud of my heritage.
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

I think so. Not to be rude, but I live in Australia, the Western side to be exact, & I think we do pretty well multi-culturally. Australia is a very multi-cultural country, & we all get along pretty well. Sure, we also get a few idiots which drag their race's name into the gutter, but there's so many more who lead productive lives. We also get the very rare race hate thing happening, but I hear about many more coming from the USA than I hear about locally. Sorry to all those Americans out there, but that's the impression I'm getting over here.

Pretty much we all get along pretty well down here. Heck, the PM recently officially said sorry to the Aboriginal people for what is known as the "Stolen Generation", many Aboriginal children being taken from their parents just because of race back in the 50s I think it was. He made an hour long speech (which my sister still complains about having to watch for school) about how it was wrong to do that to all those children. For those outside Australia you may recognize him as the Aussie guy who went to China & spoke to them in their native language.

Yeah, you could say we're all mates down here...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

As long as we keep focusing one each other's race we'll be doing it wrong.
    If we focus on not offending anyone because he or she is of a different race then we're doing it wrong. Same for getting offended at any perceived stab at your skin colour or something like that.

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

America and Race? Wow, interesting topic I actually want to reply in.

I'm 16 and live in the Suburbs in a very well known city. My family and I are the ONLY African-Americans on the block and for that, we recieve dirty looks and snide comments. America-in my opinion- IS A DAMN HYPOCRITE. Your slogan is "Life, Liberty, and Persuit of Happiness" but people of color aren't entittled to that. The law is fair? Justice is Blind? I don't believe half of the stuff the school system teaches me. Democracy in America? Equality? Maybe for your lighter residents, but certainly not for me.

America is delicate when it comes to race because of past events, but they aren't afraid to sugar coat it in a blanket of vague language no one can understand unless read 2-3 times. America is the land of bigotry and tolerance, not what they teach in school
    My cousin got accepted to Harvard University just yesterday. She scored a 34 on the ACT and a 1508 on the SAT. Because she filled in that "race" bubble and chose AFRICAN-AMERICAN, the school system needs her to take another test to "guantee" she is tolerant and "able" to do the work. I bet the little white kids didn't have to do that.

Oh and Aceman- Sterotypes have a solid basis on fact? So African-Americans are not as intelligent as whites? African-Americans are lazy sons of bi**hes that do nothing but wait on welfare? African-Americans do drugs? African-Americans will always be in poverty?

Also, how do you know all the African-Americans live in the damn ghetto? Can't they live in the suburbs? White kids do drugs too. SO now that they came to work high as a damn kite, they are classified as living in the Ghetto right?

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast