Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hurray for medical Ethics.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Hurray for medical Ethics.

I want to see how this turns out:

Mother seeks girl's womb removal - CNN.com

Mother seeks girl's womb removal

LONDON, England -- A mother is seeking to have the womb of her severely disabled daughter removed to prevent the 15-year-old from feeling the pain and discomfort of menstruation.

Doctors in Britain are now taking legal advice to see if they are permitted to carry out the hysterectomy on Katie Thorpe, who suffers from cerebral palsy.

But a charity campaigning for the disabled said on Monday the move could infringe human rights and would set a "disturbing precedent."

Andy Rickell, executive director of disability charity Scope, told the Press Association: "It is very difficult to see how this kind of invasive surgery, which is not medically necessary and which will be very painful and traumatic, can be in Katie's best interests.

"This case raises fundamental ethical issues about the way our society treats disabled people and the respect we have for disabled people's human and reproductive rights.

"If this enforced sterilization is approved, it will have disturbing implications for young disabled girls across Britain."

Katie's mother Alison Thorpe, who lives in Billericay, southern England, said the operation was in her daughter's best interests.

"First of all, this is not about me. If it was about me, I would have given up caring for Katie a long, long while ago," she told GMTV.

"It is about quality of life and for Katie to not have the associated problems of menstruation adds to her quality of life. It means she can continue with the quality of life we can give her now.

"Katie wouldn't understand menstruation at all. She has no comprehension about what will be happening to her body. All she would feel is the discomfort, the stomach cramps and the headaches, the mood swings, the tears, and wonder what is going on."

Thorpe said an operation would be best for Katie, despite the initial pain it would cause.

She added: "The short-term pain and discomfort we can manage with painkillers. We will be able to manage that pain much better than menstruation once a month, when Katie cannot tell us 'I'm in pain.'"

A couple of questions to consider:

1. Should the girl's mother have the right to make that decision?

2. If she does, is womb removal in the girl's best interests?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Hurray for medical Ethics.

WTF, KenX! We thought you OD'd.

Yes the mother still has that right.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

I did, OVER 9000 times. What's up with you man? Shit i don't want to turn this into a chit chat thread since this is vury serius business. I'll make a newbie thread or something.

But anyway, I understand the child with the cerebral palsey (which is serious) getting a hysterictamy and all, but really shouldn't that be a choice of who ever is getting it? This does means no children and all that.

Thanks

What bothers me about it is this part:

If it was about me, I would have given up caring for Katie a long, long while ago," she told GMTV.

"Katie wouldn't understand menstruation at all. She has no comprehension about what will be happening to her body. All she would feel is the discomfort, the stomach cramps and the headaches, the mood swings, the tears, and wonder what is going on."
    This doesn't really sound like caring mother behaviour at all.
    I thought Cerebral palsy was a disease of the body, not the mind? How exactly would she not understand menstruation?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not the parent's right to remove the womb from thier daugher! Cerebal palsy is a physical affliction, if the girl wants to menstrate, let her! That would be like my mom having a doctor cut my penis off so I wouldn't have wet dreams!!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

This isn't new. From what I have read before the mother went to two doctors who agreed that it was in the girls best interest. Evidently the young woman is also mentally incapacitated and incapable of making a legal decision. If she was the surgery wouldn't be needed.

I am of two minds on it. I have been to group homes for mentally retarded people and the people who work with them have told me more then once that their biggest problem is non-mentally retarded people seducing them. They are children mentally and they don't even understand what they are doing let alone why they shouldn't. I can understand how something like that could be a blessing. My concern is simply where you draw the line though.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    This isn't new. From what I have read before the mother went to two doctors who agreed that it was in the girls best interest. Evidently the young woman is also mentally incapacitated and incapable of making a legal decision. If she was the surgery wouldn't be needed.

I am of two minds on it. I have been to group homes for mentally retarded people and the people who work with them have told me more then once that their biggest problem is non-mentally retarded people seducing them. They are children mentally and they don't even understand what they are doing let alone why they shouldn't. I can understand how something like that could be a blessing. My concern is simply where you draw the line though.
    it's just a shame that there isn't really any indication in the article about the girl's mental capacity except the mother saying she wouldn't understand.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i think it's plain out wrong, i was on the fence for a long time...

but what tipped me over is that the families who are asking for operations are ones who no longer want to care about their child, but don't want to kill them "because they still love them" if it was the girl's best interest, then wouldn't she have to understand what's going on in order to form an opinion?

personally, i think it's the mother's best interest of not dealing with her kid anymore...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast