+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hurray for medical Ethics.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hurray for medical Ethics.

After Dating someone with CP (A very mild form that left her with limited control of her Legs leaving her in a wheelchair), I researched it, and the more severe forms of it leave the person with the mental faculties of a 3 or 4 year old (or younger, and from what I got from the article, this is the case here) coupled with extreme physical disabilities (Paraplegic and Quadriplegic are quite common, even Total or Partial paralysis is possible). The child will almost defenently be cared for by her mother for her entire life, and won't be having children, and if she had the ability to make that choice, her mother wouldn't be seeking to have this done because her daughter would understand what was happening to her body.

I think its the mothers choice.

And another thing, I don't think the mother is thinking about the other side effect of a Hysterectomy: Early Menopause.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Wouldn't it be easier and far less invasive to give the girl a low-dose contraceptive in a way that would limit her periods to only a few a year? As aceman pointed out, a full hysterectomy isn't without it's consequences. And from what I've read, a lot of doctors are advising against hysterectomies in all but the most extreme cases, where there is no other option (for example, uterine or cervical cancer). I think the mother should look at all other possible options before jumping right to a hysterectomy.

"Katie wouldn't understand menstruation at all. She has no comprehension about what will be happening to her body. All she would feel is the discomfort, the stomach cramps and the headaches, the mood swings, the tears, and wonder what is going on."
    So...she would understand a surgical procedure, with all of the possible side effects and complications? This statement doesn't really make her case.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

If the mother is truly look at her daughters best interest she should have looked at other options first and used this as a last resort. I also think the mother is being selfish, but she is in her right seeing her daughter is incapable of making decisions for herself.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the mother have the right to make that decision?.I am half and half on this if she only has cerebral palsy then no she does not have the right to make that decision.Cerebral palsy is not a mental disability but of the body.I knew some one that had cerebral palsy who which had trouble doing day to day things but had no trouble understanding things.

Now if the daughter has a metal disability as well with cerebral palsy then yes the mother should have some part in the decision as well as the rest of the family IMO.But yet there is no statement about the mental capacity of the girl which leads me to believe.The mother is not so worried if her daughter would understand,but more so that the baby might have cerebral palsy as well and she does not what to have to take care of the baby as well.

Which in that case the mother should have no say in what the girl should give up the baby,But yet some other family member should step in and make the right decision.But thats only speculation on my part if the mother is really doing this because she does not want to have to take care of the baby as well.But from what i read its pretty plausible that may be that case.

But i would like to more of the girls mental state.
    Last edited by koga23; Oct 09, 2007 at 12:22 PM.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh there is no way the mother should have the right to make those choices for her daughter. That is a mother trying to take control of everything in her daughter's life. I hope that the law doesn't favor to the mother.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koga23 View Post
    Does the mother have the right to make that decision?.I am half and half on this if she only has cerebral palsy then no she does not have the right to make that decision.Cerebral palsy is not a mental disability but on of the body.I knew some one that had cerebral palsy who which had trouble doing day to day things but had no trouble understanding things.
    See, this is where you're wrong. I too knew someone who has CP, and she is a hell of a lot smarter then I am, but the most severe cases can leave someone severely mentally and physically handicapped. Cerebral means "relating brain". That being said, it can affect a lot more then just motor control over your body.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    See, this is where you're wrong. I too knew someone who has CP, and she is a hell of a lot smarter then I am, but the most severe cases can leave someone severely mentally and physically handicapped. Cerebral means "relating brain". That being said, it can affect a lot more then just motor control over your body.
    Even so there is no true indication in that article of the girls mental state.Other than the mother saying she would not understand,Which could mean a few things the mother is just saying that because she dose not want her daughter to have that baby and having to end up taking care of it as well.

It could also mean the girl is truly incapable of understanding what would be happing if she were to have the baby.But then again we really don't know that from that article.As for the ones that are affected by more then just motor control over your body i would take it are a much smaller number than the ones that have motor problems.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

which is not medically necessary
    This pretty much made my decision. If the operation is not needed, seeing as how the girl isn't in danger if she doesn't get it and it's more for convenience if anything, then the mother shouldn't be allowed to make that decision, even if she has rights over the girl.

Now if it were a life-threatening situation, then the mother should have the right to ask for the operation, but not like this.
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast