+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

Otaku Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

Age isn't just a number to a lot of people. People really care about reputation and their looks. Older people say between 40 and 70 want to be younger. Youngsters, teenagers want to be older, because this is so called "cooler". And to gain this feeling of acknowledge people simply make little lies about their ages. This often goes wrong though, when it finally clicks with someone you just met, you have to revile your hidden true age somehow. Which makes another person think you can't be trusted if you lie about a simple thing as age.

What is a common thing that I've noticed is... people lie more often about their ages on the net then in real life. Why? It's simple... people intend to lie about all kinds of stuff over the internet, because it's easy to do... none direct contact or communication.

I'm not just talking about ages. Also, fake pictures of themselfs, fake genders, fake names, everything's fake fake fake. I've met some people before who are like that... if you tell them you're 19 they'll answer with an age which is nearby the number 19. Awkward as that, but easy to do so over the internet.

Anyway, not here on AO though... I'm not sure about everyone here that's telling the truth. But I know quite sure that most of the AO members are honest and are themselfs. That is one of the reasons that I love it here... members rather hide their identities then lie about it.

|| I forgot that I might see so many beautiful things - Dreamvisions ||

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

No one want to really say how old they really are, people don't want others to know how old they are in reality. some young kids might think "that person is really, really old huh?"
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Otaku FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy View Post
    This weekend ive had this conversation with my neighbour's friend, He told me that age is nothing but a number is how healthy you look for your age. Now i agreed on the health part, but i disagreed on the age thing. If age was nothing but a nimber, why do people lie abouth their ages. If age WAS nothing but a number why do someone go "eww that's disgusting, or that's insane" when a ninteen year old girl and a fifty-something year old man are together? Can love really conquer age?
    So.... is age really nothing but a number?
    And why?
    Well, for a 19 year old and a 50 something year old the major thing that I think of is that the "experience" is different for the two of them. The 50 year old has had a lot of worldly experience and the 19 year old hasn't had hardly any. The man could take advantage. If you were to switch the two around. The woman was older and the man was younger. Most would think that the woman would want to settle down and it would be better, but the 19 year old male wouldn't want to settle down. 19 year olds few 50 something as an old person. Age does make a difference.

Just date in a resonable age group. You'll regret it in the long end. If you're a lot older than the other. You'll die long before them; ha-ha!

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    It's partially a matter of insecurity. There ARE some sickos who will lie about their age just to get in bed with a young girl/boy. I've heard plenty stories and seen some guy get busted for that same sh*t on television once.

wtf?! lol, anyway the way i see it there really isnt a need to lie about your age. you're only as young as you feel. i'm 17 atm, but i sometimes i feel like i'm 67.

but to answer the question, yes insecurity. some people just fear getting old.
    Why hello there!

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

yes insecurity. some people just fear getting old.
    And that is so sad. People should be proud that they have grown older and that they have acquired the wisdom that comes with that age. I can't tolerate an immature person. Even if your older and you still act like a child. Thats why I won't date anyone younger than me. Have to have your head on straight if you want to be with me. And besides no one likes an insecure person unless you want to dominate that person and then its still basically useless. If you are going to grow old be happy about it!

I wonder why no one has mentiones about younger people who lie about being older. That should be discussed here too. I mean it happens all the time, but for totally diffrent reasons than an older person lying and saying that they are younger.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Dev View Post
    Ok firstly age is an important part of life, well younger years. You have to be a certain age limit to drink, drive and smoke and watch films or even play computer games.
    Whether you obay those rules is another matter but if you lie about your age you can get into seriouse trouble and then i doubt that the person
    being done will think age is just a number. Age will often conflict with love as i disagree with you neighbours friend because if you think about it,
    if someone who is 18 is going out with a 6 year old, i am sure there will be questions on perveted people etc. a normal sane humanbeing would
    find that sick would they not? Well this is my point age has many problems between people as you grow older the age barrier between people
    can increase in age up to around a 20 year diffrence these days,
    but when your in school it's like a code that you have to go out with someone in your year otherwise it will be found as "gross" age diffrence
    only matters if the person is really too old for another. So this concludes
    my opinion, yes age is more than just numbers, it's also marked to check if you are responsible and mature.
    and the younger you are the more people will mourn if you die (god forbid)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    First off, one of the main reasons why many would find an 18 year old goin' out wit a 6 year old disgustin' has little ta do
    wit the number of years that separates their ages; it has ta do wit the fact that the 6 year old is a minor and is too immature ta understand the concept
    of a "meaningful relationship." A 50 year old bein' involved, in a relationship, wit a 20 year old is a totally different concept all together, 'cause it's a
    relationship involvin' 2 concentin'; mature adults who fully understand what bein' in a relationship is all about. In this regard, the number of years that
    separates their ages doesn' matter; so long as both adults r fully aware of what it is that they r gettin' inta. If it floats their boats, more power ta them.

And what's this 'bout more ppl mournin' u if u die young than if u die when ur older? It's always been my experience that the same number of ppl, who know
    u, would mourn u no matter at what age u die at. Heck, look at all of the older famous ppl who died and the entire world mourned their loss. I certainly
    hope that when I die, no matter what age I am, that all of my friends and family mourn my loss.
    First of all, I wanted to quote you both cos just about everything is said in these two post, but there is something that I would like to say too.
    Age is actually way more than just a number...for first ~30 years. It shows people that you are really old enough to drink and drive.
    But it also tells them something about your personality, are you still a immature child or adult. Good example of this is the 20-50 relationship you mentioned.
    Even thou number 20 says that she/he is adult and ready to decide his/hers life it is possible that that persons mind ain't ready and mature enough.
    People growup mentaly really different ages, I have seen many 15 and 16 year old boys and girls who are mentaly mature enough to for longlasting relationship with older person,
    but are not allowed. But in the other hand I also know people that are 30-ish and still shouldn't be allowed to form any kind of relationship.
    But mostly age is way more than a number, it's a indicator to us...what we can presume from other person if we know his/her age. You don't presume
    that you can talk about politics, relationships and enviromental policy and stuff at high level and solidly with 15year old girl, but you would sertainly
    presume that you could do that with 50year old.

And what we come up with after all this random "mumbo-jumbo" that no one
    did read properly to understand what I'm trying to say.

Society needs to set some limit to ages so some protection to young people is possible. And they have decided that 18 is the age where most of people are
    mature enough to start taking care of their own business...alcohol, smoke, car and what most important...relationships.

Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    First of all, I wanted to quote you both cos just about everything is said in these two post, but there is something that I would like to say too.
    Age is actually way more than just a number...for first ~30 years. It shows people that you are really old enough to drink and drive.
    But it also tells them something about your personality, are you still a immature child or adult. Good example of this is the 20-50 relationship you mentioned.
    Even thou number 20 says that she/he is adult and ready to decide his/hers life it is possible that that persons mind ain't ready and mature enough.
    People growup mentaly really different ages, I have seen many 15 and 16 year old boys and girls who are mentaly mature enough to for longlasting relationship with older person,
    but are not allowed. But in the other hand I also know people that are 30-ish and still shouldn't be allowed to form any kind of relationship.
    But mostly age is way more than a number, it's a indicator to us...what we can presume from other person if we know his/her age. You don't presume
    that you can talk about politics, relationships and enviromental policy and stuff at high level and solidly with 15year old girl, but you would sertainly
    presume that you could do that with 50year old.

And what we come up with after all this random "mumbo-jumbo" that no one
    did read properly to understand what I'm trying to say.

Society needs to set some limit to ages so some protection to young people is possible. And they have decided that 18 is the age where most of people are
    mature enough to start taking care of their own business...alcohol, smoke, car and what most important...relationships.
    First off, my post was in response ta Mini Dev's post and it seems that u have misinterpreted my point, at least that's the impression I get; I could b wrong. The way he had written his post, left me wit the impression that he thought it was wrong for some1 between the ages of 18 and, let's say, 25 ta b wit some1 over the age of 35 (like let's say for example, Demi Moore and Ashton Kurcher) and that he was comparin' it wit an 18 year old bein' wit a 6 year old. Basically callin' a 35 year old, or older, (like Demi Moore) a pedophile if he or she is carrin' on a relationship wit some1 10 years younger, or more, than them. My point was that if a person is 18, or older, then they r old enough, and mature enough, ta know what it is that they basically want in life and that if carrin' on a relationship wit some1 of more advanced years is somethin' that they feel that they can handle, then more power ta them. I have an uncle and aunt that have a 10 year difference between their respective ages and they have been married for over 30 years.

And I agree wit ur sayin' that age isn' necessarilly a determinin' factor in maturity (this was the point that I was gettin' at wit my post), but it seemed ta me that u kinda contradicted urself wit the rest of ur point. I jus' could b misunderstandin' ur point, but that's the impression that I've been left wit. But u then said that age is an indicator of how mature a person is, after jus' sayin' that it isn'; do u c where I'm gettin' confused? And I do agree wit u that society needs ta set some age limit and I totally agree wit 18 bein' a fairly accurate number for our society, but that's jus' my opinion.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku jazzy9513 is off to a good start
    Thanks

well love can conquer age but age can also conquer love it a 50/50 chance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast