+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 32

Thread: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

  1. #17
    Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    University of Turku
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    First off, my post was in response ta Mini Dev's post and it seems that u have misinterpreted my point, at least that's the impression I get; I could b wrong. The way he had written his post, left me wit the impression that he thought it was wrong for some1 between the ages of 18 and, let's say, 25 ta b wit some1 over the age of 35 (like let's say for example, Demi Moore and Ashton Kurcher) and that he was comparin' it wit an 18 year old bein' wit a 6 year old. Basically callin' a 35 year old, or older, (like Demi Moore) a pedophile if he or she is carrin' on a relationship wit some1 10 years younger, or more, than them. My point was that if a person is 18, or older, then they r old enough, and mature enough, ta know what it is that they basically want in life and that if carrin' on a relationship wit some1 of more advanced years is somethin' that they feel that they can handle, then more power ta them. I have an uncle and aunt that have a 10 year difference between their respective ages and they have been married for over 30 years.

    And I agree wit ur sayin' that age isn' necessarilly a determinin' factor in maturity (this was the point that I was gettin' at wit my post), but it seemed ta me that u kinda contradicted urself wit the rest of ur point. I jus' could b misunderstandin' ur point, but that's the impression that I've been left wit. But u then said that age is an indicator of how mature a person is, after jus' sayin' that it isn'; do u c where I'm gettin' confused? And I do agree wit u that society needs ta set some age limit and I totally agree wit 18 bein' a fairly accurate number for our society, but that's jus' my opinion.
    You are right that my post was kinda confusing if you don't see my point in it.
    I would have needed to do better clarifycation between mature(physical) and mature(mentaly), and I'm sorry about that.
    And I quoted you and dev just to get point to start, driving etc. But what as said, 10 years ain't a big problem between two adults, like 25 and 35,
    but really a problem and much more if like 8 and 18.
    But just to clarify my point, you took example of 20-50 relationship...
    That can be ok if, i say it again IF, both really now what they hope from it
    specially the younger. From my personal experience I can say that even thou
    society considers 18 year old to be mature enough to decide what he/she wants to do they might be not.
    Physicaly for sure, mentaly...well, I would say it's like 50%/60% situation(maybe/maybe not/something between it).
    I have met too many persons that are not and still try to go in relationships.
    When times I have notised that I have been the one saying "no" cos' I don't want to make them cry.

    Now I beg your pardon about saying it again, lol. Age is number that tells others some info how mature you MIGHT be.
    So I think that I dropped you guys when I was taking example what problems there is if you decide persons maturity just by age.

    But now I would like to answer the second part of question stated in topic, "why people lie their age".
    Well, there is many reason...to get smokes, alcohol and so on. But I have also notised that some might lie their age cos' they are affraid that they would
    loose the one they love if he/she would know their real age. I know, this might sound absurd but I have seen these cases myself, and experienced one too.


    Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

  2. #18
    NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    age is just a number specially in relationship unlike the 18 year old and 6 year old. yea thats different. now if the 6 year old was really like 16 then i dont think it matters.
    i say once a person understands the meaning of being in a relationship then age doesn't matter. of course now if it was a 30 year old with a 16 year old you have questions and stuff but its still only a number. i know my grandma and grandpa are 25 years apart. and i say by all means go on and be together because they love each other. and thats what it means to be in love.

    i am currently in love with an 18 year old and i am 16(soon to be 17) and i know alot of people are like against it because i am underage but its only by like a year a half. i dont see what the problem is. as long as me and dont do anything then there is nothing wrong.

    ~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

  3. #19
    ★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Emerald island (Eire) (Ireland)
    Posts
    1,834
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    yeah i know what u mean why lie about it i liked to my sisters about some of my bf's ages and when they found out there were like OMG hes such and such did u know that and all and I'm like yes

    i don't really believe it or anything but my sis etc don't find it good for 15 to be with a 17-19 year old i dunno why bur personally for me i don't care but for safety reasons u do need to lie about ages

  4. #20
    Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    University of Turku
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes View Post
    age is just a number specially in relationship unlike the 18 year old and 6 year old. yea thats different. now if the 6 year old was really like 16 then i dont think it matters.
    i say once a person understands the meaning of being in a relationship then age doesn't matter. of course now if it was a 30 year old with a 16 year old you have questions and stuff but its still only a number. i know my grandma and grandpa are 25 years apart. and i say by all means go on and be together because they love each other. and thats what it means to be in love.

    i am currently in love with an 18 year old and i am 16(soon to be 17) and i know alot of people are like against it because i am underage but its only by like a year a half. i dont see what the problem is. as long as me and dont do anything then there is nothing wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by equinn View Post
    yeah i know what u mean why lie about it i liked to my sisters about some of my bf's ages and when they found out there were like OMG hes such and such did u know that and all and I'm like yes

    i don't really believe it or anything but my sis etc don't find it good for 15 to be with a 17-19 year old i dunno why bur personally for me i don't care but for safety reasons u do need to lie about ages
    My point proven. Princes, I agree what you said, it's all about understanding relatioship. And that is the mental aspect of growing up, when talking about physical aspect age is everything else than just a number...it really has meaning.

    Btw, happy to see you again equinn.


    Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

  5. #21
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    You are right that my post was kinda confusing if you don't see my point in it.
    I would have needed to do better clarifycation between mature(physical) and mature(mentaly), and I'm sorry about that.
    And I quoted you and dev just to get point to start, driving etc. But what as said, 10 years ain't a big problem between two adults, like 25 and 35,
    but really a problem and much more if like 8 and 18.
    But just to clarify my point, you took example of 20-50 relationship...
    That can be ok if, i say it again IF, both really now what they hope from it
    specially the younger. From my personal experience I can say that even thou
    society considers 18 year old to be mature enough to decide what he/she wants to do they might be not.
    Physicaly for sure, mentaly...well, I would say it's like 50%/60% situation(maybe/maybe not/something between it).
    I have met too many persons that are not and still try to go in relationships.
    When times I have notised that I have been the one saying "no" cos' I don't want to make them cry.

    Now I beg your pardon about saying it again, lol. Age is number that tells others some info how mature you MIGHT be.
    So I think that I dropped you guys when I was taking example what problems there is if you decide persons maturity just by age.

    But now I would like to answer the second part of question stated in topic, "why people lie their age".
    Well, there is many reason...to get smokes, alcohol and so on. But I have also notised that some might lie their age cos' they are affraid that they would
    loose the one they love if he/she would know their real age. I know, this might sound absurd but I have seen these cases myself, and experienced one too.
    In other words, u were pretty much sayin' the same thing that I was, I understand now. The key word in the age factor is a big IF and there r some ppl, who r even as old as 30 or higher, and aren' mature enough ta handle life (I've met a few of those) let alone a relationship. Yet, on the other hand, I've met some underage ppl who were much more mature than some adults. This was one of the points that I was tryin' ta get through ta Mini Dev, that age isn' always a determinin' factor in maturity.

    And I don' think that the second part of ur opinion is absurd, in fact, I agree wit it. It's like Atomik said, what it all boils down ta is the fact that some ppl feel insecure wit their lives, relationships, and ages (even any combination of the 3). Some feel that it too much of a gamble ta b honest wit themselves, let alone b honest wit other ppl; especially the ones that they r carrin' on a relationship wit. They r jus' too afraid ta b true ta themselves, so they're not very true wit others.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  6. #22
    Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York.
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    I'm gonna put mine kinda simply: it's because people are ashamed of the truth and want to get either a possesion or some kind of respect from someone. People lie because they're afraid of the truth. Age is no exception. They don't want you to know certain things about them and hide it by lying their age.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

  7. #23
    Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Under The Sea, Florida
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    Honestly I don't see how you can judge someone by the age of the person they love. To me it is just a number say you take online dating. Do you fall in love with the person or as some say the lie the person makes you believe or do you fall in love because they are supposable a certain age? I'll admit I've been with someone that was old enough to be my father and someone that was twice my age but I was not with them because of their age but because of what they were like. You know the most important things. Some people lie about their age because they don't want to seem old to some other person or if they think their age will affect if someone talks to them or not either it be they are to old or to young. What I don't get is why when your under the age of 18 your not allowed to date someone older but once you turn 18 it doesn't matter how old the person is. Why is that? Either way the people are still going to have the same age difference and either way they will still be together even if they have to keep it a secret.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™


    Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

  8. #24
    Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,096
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

    Re: If Age Is Nothing But A Number, Why Do People Lie About It?

    Well they feel like they are getting old and havent really lived ther life and to makeup for some time they say they are a certain age to make themselfs feel better thats the main reason.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Number 23
    By cantsenditback in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Mar 09, 2008, 09:14 PM
  2. Age Is Nothing But A Number
    By The White Wolf in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: Apr 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
  3. The Number 23
    By Familyguyfan2 in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
  4. Animation Number 1-3
    By mellow maromi in forum AMV's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2006, 07:25 PM
  5. age is just a number?
    By princesslady in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2006, 01:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts