+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: if everything is made from stardust...

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: if everything is made from stardust...

I haven't had the time to read the Wikipedia article, but if I remember correctly one of the ways a star can go novae is when its core becomes iron which is too stable for the star to burn normally. Since it has nothing left to burn it collapses under its own huge weight(the reason a star can stay so big is because it pushes outward while it burns, think of how an explosion bushes out). When the rest of the star collapses in and impacts the iron core it literally bounces off and shoots out into space. That impact to the core squeezes it into even heavier elements and thats how you get elements that are past iron on the periodic table.

Edit: Copper isn't "incredibly abundant", we are just lucky to have some on our planet. If you think of what the rest of the universe is made of everything that we can see is around .5% of everything. A bigger portion, yet still rather small, about 4%, is just atoms that are not configured into elements and are just floating out between stars. Then about 25% is made of something called Cold Dark Matter and isn't even made of atoms. The rest is something called Dark Energy and very little is known about it.
    Last edited by Ishamael; Sep 07, 2007 at 11:05 AM.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Otaku Sasuke Is Emo may be famous one day Sasuke Is Emo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

. If I remember correctly, the ideal Fusion reactions are...

hydrogen + hydrogen = helium
    helium + helium = carbon
    carbon + carbon = iron.

Other combinations can occur, but are not as energetic.

For a stable Fusion reaction, Iron is the most stable nucleus, however, only the largest and hottest of stars can obtain this stable reaction. Smaller (and less stable) stars that try to start the next stage of Fusion often end up blowing up in a Nova, scattering their elements across space. And under extreme unstable conditions (such as the core of an exploding Super Nova), excessive energies can force the Fusion of Iron with other elements, creating heavier then Iron elements

See Supernova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    actually the easiest ones to occur are

H+H=HE
    HE+HE=C
    C+C=SI
    SI+SI=FE

but things can happen like hydrogen+carbon and it makes i think nitrogen or sumthing

as for teh thing with the supernova... i suppose that makes sense so ya question answed

but i still think god exsits

and to ishmal ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ATOMS NOT TO BE AN ELEMENT! ITF IT HAS PROTONS ITS AN ELEMENT!
    Love only if you are willing to hate.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

until some scientific explanation for sure tells us how than i would have to agree with you

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke Is Emo View Post
    and to ishmal ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ATOMS NOT TO BE AN ELEMENT! ITF IT HAS PROTONS ITS AN ELEMENT!
    He not talking about normal 'matter'. One of the greatest discoveries made by the Hubble Space Telescope, (and ranks among the most important astronomical discoveries ever made. It was a enormous shock to realize that modern science has no idea about what the majority of the known universe is made of...) is something that's been called 'dark matter'. The only thing that's known about it is that it has mass (and produces gravity caused by mass), but does not interact with light (therefore 'dark') and can pass through colliding galaxies as if they weren't there. Hubble Telescope observations indicate that there's a lot more of this stuff around then 'matter' as we know it, and other then that, we really have no idea what so ever what this 'stuff' actually is, other then educated guesses (with no evidence or proofs one way or another...)

Dark matter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Sasuke Is Emo may be famous one day Sasuke Is Emo's Avatar
    Thanks

to len miyata

i know he was talking bout dark matter in part of it but look before and he says and i quote:
    A bigger portion, yet still rather small, about 4%, is just atoms that are not configured into elements and are just floating out between stars.
    which is impossible cause an atom must have a proton and if it has a proton it must be a element (possibly undiscoverd)

and to ishmal again you say copper isint incredibly abundant were just lucky to have some? well explain how all the other rock planets weve discoverd have alot of copper too

o and .5% of the universe is still alot! the universe is huge, to put it in perpective think about this

we can see about 1 million "stars" in a small amount of sky at night at any given moment with the naked eye

the majority of those stars are galaxies which have about 200 thousand stars in them which most have planets. We cant even see half the galaxies yet there are over 30 galaxys in the space of a tennis ball if held from 10cm away!

so ya...

in my books thats incredibly abundant and a bit too abundant to be created only in the big bang TYVM!

the one day lawyer/doctor

Sasuke Is Emo
    Love only if you are willing to hate.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke Is Emo View Post
    to len miyata
    ...which is impossible cause an atom must have a proton and if it has a proton it must be a element (possibly undiscoverd)

Sasuke Is Emo
    Oh, so that's what you meant, but not all protons are atoms, and not all nuclei behave as elements or as atoms, see...
    Cosmic ray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Alpha particle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Beta particle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    ~_~;

Another airtight argument for Creationism! Ma~an, how can we silly science-minded people argue with you?! Bananas! Startdust! Oh, and don't forget this one:
    Peanut Butter, The Atheist's Nightmare! - axiomsun.com

God is great!
    To take nothing, make it explode and fling the universe in existence, through billions of years these “particles” which didn’t exist before hand (or then there would have to be another explanation for where “they” came from) float around slamming into each other forming planets and stars.

Then the earth, a beat up collaboration of a rock, just happens to tilt on it’s axis in a gravitational pull around its star at just the right degree to produce a livable atmosphere…Decides to produce life… not just once but theorized thousands maybe millions of times (at a probability less likely to happen once then me putting my pocket watch in a washing machine and turning it on until the watch comes back together and tells proper time I might add) which then spawned and evolved into intelligent life thousands maybe millions more times (see probability reference above) until we have the current world as we know it. All while lacking any ability to “prove” any measure of it?

Yes, darn those whacky creationist and their air tight theories. Science FTW!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I do believe it's time for a good old fashioned science book burning spectacle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast