Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Illegal immigration good or bad??

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: illegal immigration good or bad??

I don't know about you, but I don't really want 1 billion people in the country. I just think it would become a little overcrowded, but w/e I guess. Wether or not we can handle that many immigrants doesn't matter, but we're talking about illegals. Let me ask you, what happens if let's say the US population jumps and like 50% or more become spanish. Not that I don't like the spanish, but it would change this country, at least I would think. Spanish might eventually become the official language and so forth. At least in china, those billion are mostly asian right? Sure they have a lot of different groups, but like 90% of the population belongs to one ethnic group there. Our country is divided between so many ethnic groups, I just feel like a balance should be kept, so one doesn't overpower the rest. Hence, we can't just let immigrants come in as they please.

Read this quote from the US cencus: "The US Census Bureau projects that by the year 2050, ethnic minority groups such as African Americans, Hispanic, and Asia and Pacific Islanders will compose almost half of the US population."

I'm part of those minority groups, and I don't mind a mixture in this country. I just don't want one group to become so large that the country has to adapt for them, I think it's fine the way it is (sure it has its flaws, but everyone does).

Newbie Kowa may be famous one day Kowa may be famous one day Kowa's Avatar
    Thanks

don't know about you, but I don't really want 1 billion people in the country. I just think it would become a little overcrowded, but w/e I guess. Wether or not we can handle that many immigrants doesn't matter, but we're talking about illegals. Let me ask you, what happens if let's say the US population jumps and like 50% or more become spanish. Not that I don't like the spanish, but it would change this country, at least I would think. Spanish might eventually become the official language and so forth. At least in china, those billion are mostly asian right? Sure they have a lot of different groups, but like 90% of the population belongs to one ethnic group there. Our country is divided between so many ethnic groups, I just feel like a balance should be kept, so one doesn't overpower the rest. Hence, we can't just let immigrants come in as they please.

Read this quote from the US cencus: "The US Census Bureau projects that by the year 2050, ethnic minority groups such as African Americans, Hispanic, and Asia and Pacific Islanders will compose almost half of the US population."

I'm part of those minority groups, and I don't mind a mixture in this country. I just don't want one group to become so large that the country has to adapt for them, I think it's fine the way it is (sure it has its flaws, but everyone does).
    hmm... I understand but... I really don't think its a competition. there is not a designated group that is trying to over power the rest. we are all here just trying to live and survive the best way we can.

Change is inevitable, and in order for change to occur there must be two opposing (although not completely opposite) forces for it to happen. your view and mine are different, and well i embrace that. but to exist is to change so i embrace change, and i wouldn't mind changing the national language to fit whichever ethnic group stops being ethnic and becomes the majority, whether it be Mexican, Cuban, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, German, Russian. i don't mind because them and I are one and the same.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
    - Edward D, Morrison

You know the funny thing? People say I kinda look like Tenchi ^_^

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

I respect your view as well. And I do agree how all are equal in this world. But if you think about it, america seems to be one of the few power countries having to even think of change due to immigration, unless I'm mistaken. It would be like we are losing touch with our current culture. I mean, my grandmother came over from korea and although she has kept in touch with her old culture she has also adapted to american culture as well. As long as the immigrants can adapt to american culture, then I'm fine with it on that ground, but when america has to change to better adapt with people who are coming here illegally, that's when I think I'll get a little annoyed with it.
    Last edited by deodaclan18; Feb 17, 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Newbie Kowa may be famous one day Kowa may be famous one day Kowa's Avatar
    Thanks

I respect your view as well. And I do agree how all are equal in this world. But if you think about it, america seems to be one of the few power countries having to even think of change due to immigration, unless I'm mistaken. It would be like we are losing touch with our old culture. I mean, my grandmother came over from korea and although she has kept in touch with her old culture she has also adapted to american culture as well. As long as the immigrants can adapt to american culture, then I'm fine with it on that ground, but when america has to change to better adapt with people who are coming here illegally, that's when I think I'll get a little annoyed with it.
    Yes immigrants adapting to American culture is a good thing, but not soo much that their own culture gets erased.

it would only be natural for the two to adapt to each other and create a far more beautiful culture.

The system of gov' was mad to slowly change with the times. trying to keep the status quo or go back to what once was would only cause destruction.

It would be like we are losing touch with our old culture
    I really don't know what this means. *respectfully & humblely* what exactly do you mean by this? um what old culture?
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
    - Edward D, Morrison

You know the funny thing? People say I kinda look like Tenchi ^_^

Thanks

My mistake. I should have said our current culture. Sorry about that.

The whole adapting is good, but there are certain things that I don't agree that america should have to change. For instance, I don't want it to become that my grandkids main language will be spanish, in which case I wouldn't understand them unless I had a translater. That's why I think English should be a set language for our country that immigrants should adapt to. I understand it would be good to accept change and merge the cultures, in a matter of speaking, but some things should be kept the way the are to save a little bit of american culture we have today.

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

but the possibilities of your grandchildren having to learn spanish are slim. do you know how easy it is to forget spanish? 1st generation americans whose parents speak nothing but spanish start to forget it once they get here. and you also have to look at the fact that not all latins are illegal a lot are 3rd 4th and 5th generation americans. but they are still catogorized as hispanic. I think that the fact that the minorities will someday be half of the population is a good thing. because racism and discrimination are always toward minorities and people that others don't understand. but if we all a in a equal playing field then their will be no more discrimination. and we will have a much better understanding of each other. like one big industinguisable nationality.
    every rose has a thorn

Thanks

That could be one way it goes, or things could become more hostile and racism could become even stronger. We might have a split between the ethnic groups for control over the country and what not. Of course this is just one of many outcomes from the 50/50. I know I don't mind change if it comes to be, but there are a lot of stubborn people in this country who will raise their kids to be stubborn as well and such change might not be easily be accepted when it comes.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

I'd have to say on a realistic note, bad. Bad for the illegal immigrants coming to authorized personnel. They could get put in jail or sent back to their own countries, which is worse, seeing how whoever runs their country might punish them for leaving. Now, for those that are illegal here and get away with it, I'd say good. Good for pulling it off and not getting caught. They have the chance to start fresh all over again. It's just a very dangerous situation..

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast