+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "I'm here for you... or am I?"

Otaku Basketball Champion Shippo101 has disabled reputation Shippo101's Avatar
    Thanks

"I'm here for you... or am I?"

Im reading this funny book.
    The main Character makes a really good point to me.

He says, “Under every good deed theres some sort of selfish intention.”

When you think of this you’re thinking of a huge selfish intention like: Boys gives flowers to girl in hopes of getting laid.

It isn’t always that serious. It can be Minor like: Boy gives girl flowers in hope she likes him more. Or even Girl lets guy borrow book and hopes that he can return the favor someday or borrow a book when she needs it.

Selfish- looking after own desires: concerned with your own interests, needs, and wishes.

So my question is: Do you think under every good deed there is some sort of selfish intention, whether it be major or minor, lingering on the if possibility or not, conscious or unconscious?
    Shippo is determined to become a lvl higher
    I'm a solider of Pen and Paper!
    <3 Atomik_Sprout <3

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

re: "I'm here for you... or am I?"

First (nothing against you or anything) but would it not be considered selfish of you, in good intention mind you, by posting this thread hoping that people will think one way or another. (maybe not) But the underlining point is humans are humans and we have spesific mind sets that we all share in comon (of course there will be those who deviate from these "guide lines" but selfishness is one of them (if you were to blame anyone blame the human society and culture that you were raised in ^_^) (and now to your question)

Do you think under every good deed there is some sort of selfish intention, whether it be major or minor, lingering on the if possibility or not, conscious or unconscious?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and oh why not a little more yes... as I stated before humans are natually greedy by example of their parents, gardians, environment, or culture and as I've said before, don't get me wrong, there is some who are without this (or times when one does an act)

((greed/ selfishness)this is a blessing and weakness)
    death and life are one and the same

3. The Following User Says Thank You to basilisk888 For This Useful Post:

Shippo101 (Nov 01, 2010)

Otaku Basketball Champion Shippo101 has disabled reputation Shippo101's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh I kno I am selfish! I need more posts! ^o^

But I don’t think its how a person is necessarily how someone is raised (it can be) I think it just comes natural. I’ve seen my pastor do some some nice things that have helped her in the long run. I’m sure she was hoping for it. I’d like to think there are some people that do nice things for the sake of doing nice things but not really anticipating getting something from the person they do nice things for… but maybe to get something from the universe(if I make any sense), or get something from someone else altogether.
    Shippo is determined to become a lvl higher
    I'm a solider of Pen and Paper!
    <3 Atomik_Sprout <3

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

(now that I think about this more)
    "I’d like to think there are some people that do nice things for the sake of doing nice things but not really anticipating getting something from the person they do nice things for… but maybe to get something from the universe"

One would like to think (I know I would like to believe that people do nice things just to be nice) But, if a person whould do an act of kindness would they not be getting the sadisfaction of doing a good deed? And if that were true would they maybe go out of their was to do acts of good to get the same sadifaction that they felt before? (I might be right or wrong on this) So in conclusion, if the above questions are true, then all humans no matter who they are act upon greed/ selfishness =( (yuck...)
    death and life are one and the same

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

To answer simply: Yes.

That's just how we, as a culture, are. There are very few people in this world who can answer no to that question, and even those people don't always live so selflessly.

Its a product of our culture, specifically our economic culture. We use a barter and trade system. We give something to get something in return, be it money, favors or anything really.

Most of the time there's nothing wrong with that, Giving a girl a flower in hopes that she'll like him more is ok.

Its when the intentions of what you want in return are not so savory that things go bad. Then it turns into Blackmail, harassment, stalking, or just plain being a selfish dick.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

basilisk888 (Nov 02, 2010), Shippo101 (Nov 01, 2010)

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "I'm here for you... or am I?"

It's hard to answer that question.

Shippo and I were just discussing this the other day. It's hard to say everyone is like that when we all have varying perceptions about other people. There ARE people out there who will do nice things for others and expect nothing in return. I would hope to be like that one day and I DO make an effort to do at least a few good things with no expectation of anything in return. But I can't say I do it all the time. I'd like to think I'm pretty balanced.

As far as others are concerned, I just can't say for sure. One one side of the fence, there are people who you KNOW are just out for self and will do nice things for selfish reasons. Then there are people who do nice things not for selfish reasons, but to hopefully bring themselves and the other person closer in order to improve their relational status. Okay... Maybe it is a bit selfish. But then there are the people who do good things for goodness sake, without any thought about "self". We do have quite a few more people who are "selfish" than those who aren't. But, I'd like to think that not everybody is constantly out for self.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The way you've explained your question I would say yes, though I don't think "selfish" is the right word to use. The word "selfish" implies a negative connotation, selfish is doing things or using people simply for yourself. Even if the person you used was benefited from you using them, that benefit to the selfish one is just an afterthought which can later be used to justify their actions.

I would say that for every good deed there is a degree of self-orientation. When we look at why we help other people it could be for a huge degree of reasons. The ugliest level of course is selfishness or greed, essentially only doing it because you want to get ahead. Then there is the pure charity, or someone that you would say is selfless.

But let's examine the idea of selflessness. A selfless person does everything they can to help others by sacrificing themselves and their own comfort. Whatever their reasons are however, is paradoxically self-oriented because they're so concerned about themselves NOT being the center of their world, that they do everything they can publicly and privately to avoid being self-concerning, even to the point that they would appear to hate themselves to an observer.

Wikipedia has a couple decent articles on the conversation of selfless vs selfish. Here's some links if anyone is interested:
    Enlightened self-interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Altruism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Selfishness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Nov 03, 2010), basilisk888 (Nov 04, 2010)

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

no one can pass judgment to all for an act that is considered to be wrong from a single point of view for one person. it depends on each individual. it can be good or bad intentions, but truth to the matter of fact-no one really knows. is it really wrong to be selfish for the good of others? really? assumptions and interpretations isn't absolute.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast