+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "I'm here for you... or am I?"

Otaku mere is off to a good start mere's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "I'm here for you... or am I?"

To be honest I cant truly take this question seriously as a straight forward yes or no enquiry. In all humans are the potential to do good and bad. Also under every situation the prize can be covered with pixy dust or lustred with poison, metaphorically speaking of course, but that truly depends on the person undertaking the deed.

In my judgment, if a deed is done with selfish and spiteful thoughts then that action no matter how sweet it may seem can not be considered good by all means.

If I were to do a good deed I wouldn’t want people to believe I have an underlining thought regarding my treatment afterwards, because I am one that would rather do something nice and not be recognized for it at all. Mostly because I don’t find center attention attractive, and I would rather see people happy even if it underprivileged me. So for me personally the answer would be no I do not believe in any way that every good deed has some sort of selfish intention behind it.

Newbie Rhyaniwhynn is off to a good start Rhyaniwhynn's Avatar
    Thanks

“Under every good deed there's some sort of selfish intention.”

That is the truth, and not just my opinion but factual.

If some one states they are not selfish in any way, there not telling the truth and if they believe it is the truth then they are blinding themselves from seeing it so they wont feel guilty over it.

Selfishness is the core reason for ANY drive or ambition in life, YOU WANT...and YOU NEED is generally selfish in most cases as well.

As for instance...

You want to give some one a million dollars (pretend you have that kind of cash) because there are so poor and you feel sorry for them...selfless right? Wrong! If would make YOU feel good to do that deed correct? Well that's not the only reason you did it, BUT it is PART of the reason, and therefore self gratification aka something for YOURSELF in turn selfish as it did not come to be given with %100 selflessness as you did get some thing out of it.

It makes you smile and feel good about it, no selfishness doesn't have to be big bad greed or such it comes in all levels. No matter what you do if you look at it from all standpoints then you will find that pretty much everything is this way and is inescapable, good or bad doesn't matter really Doesn't make one less of a good person to be selfish in ways, after all it is pretty much in our genes to want and need and yearn for just about anything.

It's a rather complex question and a good one, imo anyone who really doesn't have any drive or dreams or goals aka selfish "I wants" to better their lives or to just have, this is pretty sad to me in my view. I could not imagine not having any dreams and or goals to attain, for me that would rob me of all feeling of life and vigor.

Yes I want to make lots of money, buy and collect motorcycles and ride and modify them, polish them up and park them in a row in my big garage. I want a life where I don't have to worry about the next bill coming in, to be able to relax and indulge in my hobbies and have a much finer quality of life. If all this is selfish, well write me off as a evil selfish sinner lol because I love life and all my wonderful things that make me happy cause I earned them

I would rather see people happy even if it underprivileged me.
    Last edited by Rhyaniwhynn; Nov 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Otaku Sarentai Kyoukan is off to a good start Sarentai Kyoukan's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea i guess so yes.....
    coz good deeds can also be a form of self-gratification and Ive heard that some ppl sink so much in good deeds because they don't really know themselves..or something ..cant explain it in a better way =P

Otaku Brent-Enix is off to a good start Brent-Enix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shippo101 View Post
    Im reading this funny book.
    So my question is: Do you think under every good deed there is some sort of selfish intention, whether it be major or minor, lingering on the if possibility or not, conscious or unconscious?
    I would think so. Maybe not something majorely selfish, but something selfish still. Like maybe doing a good deed for self-fulfillment (not bad, but it's still self-centered).

mmhmm.

Newbie xdeath by midnightxx is off to a good start xdeath by midnightxx's Avatar
    Thanks

well on one is perfect, well ado things for the sake of ourselves. It's human nature. We all have that ''selfish vibe'' sometimes and it just depends on the person. Some make it obvious while others to to fix it.

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

I think there's such a thing as altruism. For example, sacrifice. I'm sure there have been examples of people who sacrifice themselves for the good of others without the promise of religious gratification or anything like that.
    Love has to come first, though. What I mean is that, as another example, when we give gifts to people, we don't always do so with the other person's interest in mind: we may be afraid of social pressures and being sanctioned for not giving a good gift. However, when we truly love, we give with the hope that that gift will be beneficial to the other person, without considering personal motives.
    But let me be clear about what I mean by "love". When I say "love", I mean total devotion to another person (whether or not they reciprocate it) that is unnecessary and maybe even disadvantageous to the lover.
    For the most part, we have selfish intentions because they're logical. It makes sense that, if we do things with our own interest in mind, we will get what we want, and fulfill our needs. However, I really do think that there are cases of completely selfless acts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2