Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Insanity??

Death is the beginning Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Insanity??

Did you know that after a person has token 10 hits of LSD her/she is considered clinicly insan.With that being said i would belive the frist post is true.

Code Name Wind

Otaku Drkduality may be famous one day Drkduality may be famous one day Drkduality's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard_Spriggan
    Insanity can come in many different doeses as well...if u were to go to an asylum and see each person that was instituted then u will see some people that see things, some that talk to imaginary people, some that believe in fictional characters, and even some that are very much sane but have a lust to kill and also a lust to injure others. I myself have been tested because of my swordfighting and was classified as sane but then they tested me when my adrenaline was running and when I was angry and I was then classified as insane...but they called it a type of berserker or something like that because I would only go for those that wronged friends and such and would never attack an innocent person. But still knowing that I go into a state of insanity when I sword fight is kind of scary....
    well i can understand that responce if someone is threatening your friends

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lighting Count
    Did you know that after a person has token 10 hits of LSD her/she is considered clinicly insan.With that being said i would belive the frist post is true.
    I thought it was something more like three, but that's just heresay, I've never actually looked it up.

What I've been trying to say, though, is that 'insanity' has biological causes. Really abnormal behavior = really messed up biology. Like we were discussing before, things like PTSD are not normal. Now let's talk environment and people. Did you know you affect the brain chemistry of the people around you? It's true! Down at the base level of thinking, everything is chemicals and electrical impulses (more or less). These chemical levels go up and down throughout the day depending on what we are experiencing. In the end, though, they always return to normal.

Now, PTSD as a natural response to extended periods of mind boggling stress. How does it happen? Why? When we are in periods of elevated stress, some neurotransmitters are emitted more, others less. But what happens if these chemicals are not allowed to go back down to normal levels for weeks, months, perhaps even years at a time? The brain simply keeps on doing its thing even when the person has returned to 'normal' life. That, in short, is what happens when a person is imballanced.

The same hapens in drug addiction. Drugs work by blocking certain receptors, enabling the release of extra neuro transmitters, or binding to and activating receptors themselves (thus acting like extra neurotransmitters, in a way). Over prolonged periods of use, the brain will simply stop making certain neurotransmitters or receptor blockers, resulting in addiction.

kNowing this, can we simply call a perspective shift, even a radical one, insanity of any sort? Changing your opinion is a type of learning, the 'rewiring' of certain neurons to other areas as your experience grows.

Edit: I guess what I mean here is that learning is different than illness. Even in drastic situations if you learn something or change your opinion about the world around you it is still the adaptive process we know as learning, and that's natural. The side effects, the insanity, comes from the instinctual side of things, our fight or flight responses being 'turned on' for far too long, essentially resulting in what one might call extremely minor brain damage. Not everyone who has gone to war and saw attrocious things came back shell shocked. I think we can safely say that all of their perspectives on reality had changed, but only the ones that had never been given a moment's rest to collect themselves would come back 'insane'
    Last edited by erosennin; May 05, 2006 at 12:28 AM.

Death is the beginning Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    I thought it was something more like three, but that's just heresay, I've never actually looked it up.
    when i said 10 hits of lsd that was just hear say aswell but if it is true i'm insan at lest 20 times over but to myself i really don't fell that insan

Code Name Wind

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Insaniy is when your mind is so stressful that it becomes dangerous. That is why people consider it bad....Or atleast that's my opinion. If you are only stressful, that is not as dangerous to the society as an insane mind.

Newbie henzor may be famous one day henzor may be famous one day henzor's Avatar
    Thanks

google definitions - "define: insanity"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - relatively permanent disorder of the mind

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity - Insanity (sometimes, madness) is a semi-permanent severe disorder of the mind, typically as a result of mental illness.

and more interestingly:

www.psychologyandlaw.com/Definitions.htm - strictly a legal term, not a clinical term, the definition of which varies by jurisdiction. In most jurisdictions, this legal concept means a severe mental illness extant at the time the crime was committed such that the illness substantially impaired the defendant's capacity to understand and appreciate the moral wrongfulness of the act. A small minority of jurisdictions differentiate moral and legal wrongfulness. ...

Newbie Demolisher may be famous one day Demolisher may be famous one day Demolisher's Avatar
    Thanks

Insanity, lunacy, madness, mania, dementia. These nouns denote conditions of serious mental disability or instability. Insanity is one of many types of brain disfunctions. Others call insanity a deranged state of mind. Of course for something to be deranged then its normal state has been compromised. From that we can determine that to be insane is only to have an abnormal mind. A mind that either does not function properly or has been damged to the point that it malfunctions. But this brings up the age old arguement what is normal? Who can determine what the all around human norm is? Human beings are born diverse and grow to be what ever they want so can we ever say that someone is or isn't normal? So with this in mind all I can say is we are all insane. Only we all have our own types of insanity to deal with.
    I don't suffer from insanity,
    I enjoy every minute of it.

www.myspace.com/flawlesslogic
    All marvel at the beauty of Shippo!!

Newbie Lunai may be famous one day Lunai may be famous one day Lunai's Avatar
    Thanks

Wikipedia is my friend

In some views, what is insane by mainstream definitions is not necessarily a disorder of the mind, but may simply be a different way of being that is judged as unacceptable on social or cultural grounds. This is stronger than the meaning discussed aboveā€”in this case, it is implied that what is seen as actual insanity by others is not (and by extension, that there is no mental illness). Since great legal and social consequences are attached to being declared insane (ranging from possibly having one's freedom curtailed by involuntary commitment to escaping punishment by falsely convincing others of insanity), these matters are a source of considerable controversy.

To this day, many define insanity as Benjamin Franklin did: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Obviously, this is a questionable definition from a legal or medical standpoint.

~Thank you, wiki.

Caitlin

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast