+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interracial Couple Refused Marriage

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Interracial Couple Refused Marriage

Many of you have heard that a local offical refused to wed an interracial couple. This case is so controversial on many levels. First the official claims to not be racist, as many who disagree with interracial couples say they are not. Further more most people in that situation would have just married them anyways.

Many angry man wouldn't marry interracial couple - Yahoo! News

Having found out the hard way that many of the people I held dear disagree with interethnic relations this case tears me. I think that the official is close minded and certainly has problems but he takes a clear stance and refuses to be a hypocrite. Speaking from someone who was in that situation people who make it known that they are against interracial couples seem only a bit better than friends who just refuse to talk to you because you dated an asian woman, even though you lived in Japan which is 99 percent Asian. Somehow even though it is ccovert hatred it is more intense.

The offical must be punished somehow and they will probably be removed from their office, which is only fitting. But you know for ever person who admits they are against this sort of thing there are ten more wh owill not say it.

But it does allow us an oppurtunitiy for some open discussion. What do you think of interrace relations, marriage, and what should become of the official. Sound Off.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Interracial Couple Refused Marriage

My only response to this is that it's 2009 people nearly dawning on the year of 2010, this isn't 1950's Mississippi. People need to take their heads out of their asses and realize that a black man is no different than a white man besides for skin color and if that even matters then why are all of us sensible people still living in this ignorance plagued country?

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a legal problem indeed - but I'm not sure if a preacher/official has the right to refuse service... I think they do. But in any case, it's obviously easier to ignore this official and move onto a new one.

I think what's a bigger problem are those who disagree with interracial relationships- period.
    There are literally thousands of people out there - and they're not just concerned parents who have their old-lingering prejudices. We're also talking about teachers who teach that mixed races are a threat to cultures - young kids/adults who find that dating another race is "risky" and "can be problematic" - and etc.

In fact, there are several of those people here in this forum as well. If y'all can recall a specific topic in the past that asked whether they should continue to date a person who wasn't the same race as them: Remember it good, because that topic has stuck with me since.
    That topic spiraled down to "Oh, but you see, a mixed race child may be a part of a race, but not being 100% pureblood makes them, you know, NOT THE SAME."

Pathetic thing was: Most of you people agreed with that statement. And it's sickening. That's racism, folks. Pure and simple.

The only reason why mixed races don't feel fully part of one part of their race's culture is because they're treated differently by the people of that culture because of their looks or because of some habits they learned from their other culture. In other words: It's the people of the culture that make THEM not a part of it, and it has nothing to do with their blood. It's just racism.

.........the same applies here.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

It appears that the other shoe has started to drop...

Louisiana newlyweds want justice of peace fired - CNN.com
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, my. O_O

I'm not surprised by this, I hate to say. But it bothers me quite a bit.

Which is hideous. In such a horrible world, two people want to have their own little slice of happiness and love... And they can't because someone is trying to tell them what they should do with their personal lives. It's none of that man's business at all what children will be had in any marriage ever!! That's so disgusting on so many levels... If I were in that lady's shoes I would have slugged him, then he would have had a reason to deny me a license. (I wouldn't really do that, but saying it makes me feel better LOL!) Gosh, being married is hard enough without having to deal with stuff like that! V.V

That's not racist... That's pure stupidity. Not even ignorant. Just ... Stupid. I wish my post were a little less "grrr!" and more responsive to the issue, but tell me that's not stupid. Seriously?

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

It appears that the other shoe has started to drop...

Louisiana newlyweds want justice of peace fired - CNN.com
    So he pretty much admits to breaking the law when he said he wouldn't marry interracial couples?
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Anarchy View Post
    My only response to this is that it's 2009 people nearly dawning on the year of 2010, this isn't 1950's Mississippi. People need to realize that a black man is no different than a white man besides for skin color and if that even matters then why are all of us sensible people still living in this ignorance plagued country?
    Yes true but many people will tell you they think that but when it comes to interracial relations they are backwards.

+ Reply to Thread