Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 13

Thread: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

  1. #1
    Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Hello, I am a student at a school in tokyo, and I am doing an assignment on making a magazine. I have decided to make a magazine on Anime(Japanese), and I am going to write an article on "Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?" and I need your guys' help. It really would help if everyone that sees this thread to:

    -Say which you think is better, Japanese Anime VS American Animation.
    -Say Why you think it's better.
    -say your favorite anime series (recent)
    -and finally say your Favorite anime music (recent)

    It would really help if you can help me out.
    Thank you very much!!!

  2. #2
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    Better in which context?

    In World Wide Box Office receipts??? (Pixar beats everyone here!!!)
    In traditional hand drawn animation? (Since all the US studios have been more or less shutdown, the Japanese Anime industry wins by default)
    In animation technology? (again Pixar dominates)
    In bang for the buck results (the US Powerpuff Girls move cost $24 million dollars. Hayao Miyazaki's production of Howl's Moving Castle was made with $22 million)

    So there is quite a few benchmarks that the two industries can be measured by... Was there any one in particular you were interested in???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

    Abu Dhabi (Jun 13, 2009)

  4. #3
    Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    Better in which context?

    In World Wide Box Office receipts??? (Pixar beats everyone here!!!)
    In traditional hand drawn animation? (Since all the US studios have been more or less shutdown, the Japanese Anime industry wins by default)
    In animation technology? (again Pixar dominates)
    In bang for the buck results (the US Powerpuff Girls move cost $24 million dollars. Hayao Miyazaki's production of Howl's Moving Castle was made with $22 million)

    So there is quite a few benchmarks that the two industries can be measured by... Was there any one in particular you were interested in???
    In all aspects... or, what YOU think is important in an anime/animation.
    ... It's kinda hard to explain, but I hope you get the picture...

  5. #4
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Not better different.

    When you study writings and plays one of the first thing you learn is that stories are a reflection of the values and culture of the author. Animation reflects the western author, Anime reflects the Japanese author, and both their cultures etc.

    If someone prefers one over the other it is more a statement of their attraction to the values and culture implied therein. Perhaps the growing interest is merely a symptom of a growing disenfranchisement with Western values and *cough* honor.

    ...or it could just be a fascination with the "exotic" and different.

    Personally I am betting on a combination of the two.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

    Peach_follows (Jun 07, 2009)

  7. #5
    Otaku Drifting 2 Champion fiqx is off to a good start fiqx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    i still think that japanese anime are far good than us anime...because i think japanese anime is more creative and fun...well there are some us anime is good but most of my favorite anime is on the japanese anime list...my favorite anime series are bleach,naruto and nana...there are more but i make a short list...

  8. #6
    Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Not better different.

    When you study writings and plays one of the first thing you learn is that stories are a reflection of the values and culture of the author. Animation reflects the western author, Anime reflects the Japanese author, and both their cultures etc.

    If someone prefers one over the other it is more a statement of their attraction to the values and culture implied therein. Perhaps the growing interest is merely a symptom of a growing disenfranchisement with Western values and *cough* honor.

    ...or it could just be a fascination with the "exotic" and different.

    Personally I am betting on a combination of the two.
    I would have to go with what arrianna's stance, however I will have to go into more of the anime view by saying, that unlike most american animation (except disney and pixar) that anime goes more into exploring the emotion of the characters and the story more better then their counterparts. And not to mention, not until recently (lasted 15 years), american animation was targeted more towards children, and anime has a more variety of different targeted audience.

    But I have a question for the student from tokyo, how do you feel about American animation, do you like it, what is your favorite american animation?

    I will answer your ? by saying that I like both, but with anime, it makes it easier with me getting older to watch it because it is seen as exotic, and not seen as a cartoon among my friends (almost like a foreign film). When I was a kid all I watched were disney and WB cartoons and so I still like them because it is a part of my childhood, that is why I can't say one is better then the other.

    As for my favs, I can't really say what my favs are and so I will tell you the ones that I would recommend: When They Cry (thriller), Rahxephon (Drama), Shuffle! (interesting take on Harem genre), Fooly Cooly (Japanese take on Looney Toons (w/o the animal characters)), and Berserk (every guy needs their violence and demon blood orgy in their life). As for music, the Pillows.

    I hope that was helpful, but I hope you answer my question and also ask other Japanese that question so that you get a better understanding of the cultural gaps between the US and Japan in order to see how different we are and not seek who is the better.

  9. #7
    Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I would have to go with what arrianna's stance, however I will have to go into more of the anime view by saying, that unlike most american animation (except disney and pixar) that anime goes more into exploring the emotion of the characters and the story more better then their counterparts. And not to mention, not until recently (lasted 15 years), american animation was targeted more towards children, and anime has a more variety of different targeted audience.

    But I have a question for the student from tokyo, how do you feel about American animation, do you like it, what is your favorite american animation?

    I will answer your ? by saying that I like both, but with anime, it makes it easier with me getting older to watch it because it is seen as exotic, and not seen as a cartoon among my friends (almost like a foreign film). When I was a kid all I watched were disney and WB cartoons and so I still like them because it is a part of my childhood, that is why I can't say one is better then the other.

    As for my favs, I can't really say what my favs are and so I will tell you the ones that I would recommend: When They Cry (thriller), Rahxephon (Drama), Shuffle! (interesting take on Harem genre), Fooly Cooly (Japanese take on Looney Toons (w/o the animal characters)), and Berserk (every guy needs their violence and demon blood orgy in their life). As for music, the Pillows.

    I hope that was helpful, but I hope you answer my question and also ask other Japanese that question so that you get a better understanding of the cultural gaps between the US and Japan in order to see how different we are and not seek who is the better.
    Thank you for the answer.
    well, I do like some american animation. South Park and Family Guy are my favorite(HILARIOUS!!!). I also like the simpsons. I was born in california so I practically was raised with american animation like nickolodean(?)s Rugrats and Jimmy Neurtron. I do like american animation, just most of them are comedy and I don't think have too much depth to the story like Ed ___and Eddy and other stuff. (Alot of them don't even have a true "story", if you know what I mean)
    I met japanese animation about 2and 1/2years ago, (pretty recent), and I didn't know until then that animation can actually have deepness and alot of emotions other that comedy and a bunch of action. I love both, but I think japanese anime has more depth in stories. Not to mention that I like Japanese anime style art for some odd reason. I don't mean to dis the american culture or anything, but...
    You might not want to ask me for "Japanese" thinking things, cuz I'm basically a american mentality guy, soooo...

  10. #8
    Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taikaw View Post
    You might not want to ask me for "Japanese" thinking things, cuz I'm basically a american mentality guy, soooo...
    Yeah, but you live in Japan right? so ask your friends, or the people around you about their feelings about American Animation, that way you can give a more neutral report on the subjected your writing about. Also tell us about what you find out about the Japanese side because that would be something that everyone would want to know about, or at least I would, because like you said, your a fellow Californian so you know what it is like to grow up with American style, so get the perspective of a Japanese growing up with Anime and then them seeing the American style and how it affected them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why do people go crazy over japanese animation?
    By souichiro_arima in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Oct 18, 2008, 08:32 PM
  2. Becoming a Writer for Japanese Animation
    By Jokerman in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 18, 2008, 04:46 PM
  3. American Animation and Japanese Anime
    By Little negi sensei in forum Anime
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jun 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 21, 2007, 09:32 AM
  5. Has japanese anime effected american animation?
    By jaderabbit in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2005, 12:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts