Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese Anime VS American Animation; Which is better?

Yeah... Its all just.. different. (sometimes).

You do have alot of American stuff that mimics Japanese style. Totally permissable in my opinion, as long as its done well. I get into all of it.

I enjoy watching Japanese anime though.. ... for isolated and specific reasons. Such as cultural references... I think story lines are a little more raw, less emotional. And I like sex and violence... I like well drawn sh*t and or\ kick ass graphics. I just see more of that coming form Japan (in my opinion). However its rare that I get the luxury of enjoying such anime.

So coming form the American consumer/parental standpoint. American animations run through my hands about 30x more so than any anime would. That's just the way it is.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with peach follow and arianna. While a vast majority of the animation I like is anime, that does not mean that Western animation does not have anything to offer. To paraphrase Bricken from Anime Insider, someone who believes that the American version has nothing to offer is as close-minded as someone who refuses to watch anime. Besides you are comparing apples to oranges in a way because in the united states the cultural norm is that animation is for children. But there is An American Tail, Heavy metal, Family guy, and of course the Simpsons, and other examples of american animation that I hold near and dear even decades after they have come out.

Otaku pink_hana may be famous one day pink_hana may be famous one day
    Thanks

for me, i prefer Japanese animation but I think American Animation is far more popular..but I think Japanese animation is the best!!..

"Never tell a man that you love him until he has declared his undying love for you."

Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Yeah, but you live in Japan right? so ask your friends, or the people around you about their feelings about American Animation, that way you can give a more neutral report on the subjected your writing about. Also tell us about what you find out about the Japanese side because that would be something that everyone would want to know about, or at least I would, because like you said, your a fellow Californian so you know what it is like to grow up with American style, so get the perspective of a Japanese growing up with Anime and then them seeing the American style and how it affected them.
    Hey, it's been a LOOONG time since I've looked at this web site. lol
    but to answer your question on what other japanese people around me think about US animation... they don't really seem to care. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think many people that haven't lived in a Japanese environment, seem to get the idea that all/ most Japanese people are fond of and watch anime. Well actually, there are some people in my school who like to watch anime and read manga, but it is such a small population, that I barely get to talk about my views on certain animes(Which is why I came here). So alot of people here
    don't really care for anime/ animation, because it's "Kiddy" to them. Otakus seem to have a really bad image in Japan, and I think it's the same anywhere but... Obviously, people around my age grew up with animes like Naruto, and a little bit of DBZ and stuff, but I guess anime in japan seems to be for kids, especially ones like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece etc. Even for the animes showing at night, they refrain from watching it since its for "Otakus". So, they don't really have a view on American animation either...
    But, alot of the high school girls actually like disney products like Lilo and Stitch pencil cases and Minny Mouse keychains, mainly because girls here like to go to Disney Land a lot for some odd reason. Anyways, sorry I don't have too much info on the views of American Animation from a japanese point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    I agree with peach follow and arianna. While a vast majority of the animation I like is anime, that does not mean that Western animation does not have anything to offer. To paraphrase Bricken from Anime Insider, someone who believes that the American version has nothing to offer is as close-minded as someone who refuses to watch anime. Besides you are comparing apples to oranges in a way because in the united states the cultural norm is that animation is for children. But there is An American Tail, Heavy metal, Family guy, and of course the Simpsons, and other examples of american animation that I hold near and dear even decades after they have come out.
    Thanks for your reply, and I agree to what you say, but sometimes I don't understand the reference of "Comparing Apples to oranges"; who ever said that you couldn't say which one you think tastes better? That phrase only makes sense to me when it's used to explain an error in a sentence in the SATs...

But it's true, American Animation surely does have things to offer like i said in a post before, but to me japanese animation just has a bigger impact on me since it was so sudden when I was exposed to it...
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Oct 18, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum rules located here... Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:

Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2