+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LenMiyata

Thread: Japanese delinquents and its American/western counterparts

Newbie Applette is off to a good start Applette's Avatar
    Thanks

Japanese delinquents and its American/western counterparts

Hello.

I'm in the middle of a pet project that requires me to do comparisons between different cultural gangsterism in high schools. So, the Japanese high school delinquents and its American counterparts (you know, the stereotypical American high school bullies you usually see in movies - because I'm Asian and I've never set foot in America before so I wouldn't know if the Hollywood movies did them justice).

What's the difference? How exactly are they different? Did movies/tv series/anime/manga did them justice - if not, then what's different and why so?

I'm very open to discussion so hit me with your best shot - only if you're here just to be rude, then don't. I do not appreciate rudeness.

Nice to meet yo.. er, everybody and thank you for your input!! *bows*

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Japanese delinquents and its American/western counterparts

The thing is, that while I will admit hollywood has done the sterotype some justice, there is no such thing as a 'typical' bully. I mean yeah some get physical, verbal, or even both. But at times bullying can be very subtle, such as an asshole spreading rumors around.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Newbie What-A-Shot Champion, Ele Jumper Champion, Farm Yard Missle Launcher Champion, Big Money Champion, Blitz World War Champion PandiCream is off to a good start PandiCream's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok my earlier answer got the "wait until mod approved thing" and they rarely get posted so.. I'LL RE-POST AND IGNORE THAT! *slams fist*
    But I live in Europe and you said Western which includes Europe.. SO I'LL ANSWER WETHER YOU WANT MY INPUT OR NOT! >;DDDD

Most bullies have ulster accents.. This is true
    Bullies here don't go to school roofs and stare at the sky.. someone did that before
    We're no longer allowed on the roof.. He fell..
    Bullies here don't get in fist fights we get really really really close.. and then we yell and shove! <--- Evolution at it's best
    Then again are stereotypical japanese bullies given any justice in manga/anime?

Italian Tears

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now you have to keep in mind that this is not a 'Apples to Apples' comparison.

One of the common themes in Anime is middle-school students preparing for their all important entrance exams... This is because in Japan, government sponsored education only covers up to the 9th grade!!! After that, all further education must be done at private institutions... This makes it a lot easier to toss high school trouble makers out, with many the problem students never going to HS to begin with... Though this makes issues with teenage biker gangs much more common. The Anime series 'Great Teacher Onizuka (a.k.a. GTO) is the classic example for this...

In the US, government sponsored education is required through the 12th grade, so that makes it difficult for a public school to toss out a student... (Mostly their shuffled between different schools to get them out of the way, with the worst segregated into a specialized school for trouble makers)

Now Hollywood HS Bullies.... the 'Back to the Future' movie series would be the first to come to mind... There was also a TV series called 'Welcome Back, Kotter' about a former delinquent who becomes a HS Teacher returns to his school to oversee a class of 'trouble makers' (comparisons to GTO???)
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Applette likes this.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Applette is off to a good start Applette's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post

Now you have to keep in mind that this is not a 'Apples to Apples' comparison.
    Agreed! And yes, I am aware of that. But thanks for the heads up

Also, those are some very interesting points you've pointed out *nods*

I was thinking somewhere along the lines on 'how they operate', so to speak and the differences in 'techniques' employed... *blinks* Now that I've read the previous sentence again, it sounded... weird, but oh well, you get my meaning.

Thanks for that input, really - that was the best answer I've received so far and I've done quite an extensive survey Hope no further grumbling is in order, Head Mod-sama *giggles behind closed hand*

+ Reply to Thread