+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 22

Thread: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

  1. #9
    Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohtori Academy
    Posts
    693
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 51 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    my mom didn't use it for my sister because she trusted her to stay by her or to be in visiable distance of safety.
    But i'm not joking, Leashes are not a bad thing,
    as said:

    I had one. not because i was a bad kid, but because i was imaginative. and in my world people who kidnapped children took them to a world of adventure and fun.
    So i had a tendency to run off in stores, malls, parking lots. my mom used a leash only for overly crowded places and it was fine. i could explore and look around, but i didn't have to be strapped in/carried and i couldn't be in any situation where i would be harmed.

  2. #10
    Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Inbetween stuff.
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 67 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    call it nativity, but is it crazy of me to think that the parents should be chasing after their kids when they get away, or shouting at them when they're about to do something bad? And if your a decent human being and see a kid about to run into the street, aren't you going to stop them? I find leashes rather silly, if you're in a high population area and are bringing your kid around doing chores and whatnot, I'd have my kid's hand or something. What ever happened to a good scolding? I just don't see the practicality
    Don't you mean "naivety"?

    First off, you can chase after your children - but the fact is there have been many incidents where the parent didn't get to them on time because something very SUDDEN happened. It's not because the kid was too far away, it was usually just because it happened so quickly. Things like a person near you grabbing the child and running for it and he's too quick for anyone to catch, a kid on a bike comes out of nowhere and runs over your child, an angry dog came at the child and attacked it, etc. Things that happen so suddenly that the parent just wished they had a protective bubble around the child.
    A leash does prevent a lot of those incidents.

    Sure, you can hold onto your child, but some children are quite wily and quick. The instant they feel your grip loosen, they'll make a run for it. Or their hands are so slippery it's hard to hold onto their hand, and though you could carry them they whine and cry and bawl because they want to walk. And though you could carry them and just say "deal with it", not every situation requires you to carry the child - and carrying them too much can cause social problems for them. So it's best you don't.

    A good scolding still exists, it's just that people out there are more prone to report "bad parenting". :/ People are all like "ZOMG! WHAT'S HE DOING TO THAT POOR CHILD! SOMEONE CALL CHILD SERVICES!!!"... and those people just spoil their child to no tomorrow as their child becomes the most annoying punk@$$ child anyone's ever met. -_-''

    So yeah, the leash is also there to shut those people up.


    But I do see your point, I have seen some lazy fat@$$ parents who just sit on a bench, holding a leash, as their child runs around in circles like a crazy dog for everyone's amusement.
    There's nothing wrong with the kid looking or acting like a dog, but the lazy parent definitely is a problem. Especially if the parent yells at the kid for just doing ONE THING that annoys them. ...lazy good-for-nothing parents that think their child's just a hassle.
    For those people, they don't deserve a leash - they don't even deserve a child!

    Quote Originally Posted by Genma758 View Post
    its pretty stupid to keep your child on a leesh i wouldnt tolerate it. if a child is on a leeshe it either means that the parent is no good or doesnt know how to treat a child except like a dog and animal that cant be freed once in a while lol. this is stupid thats all i gotta say about it.
    I have no idea what's wrong with treating a child "like a dog". Unless you treat your dog pretty badly.
    If you think you're better than your dog because you're a "higher species", you obviously haven't given enough gratitude to your dog.
    Dogs are dogs and treated like dogs because we made them that way. It was a partnership between wolves and humans to coexist together. They're PARTNERS, not slaves.

    We humans have perverted the idea of what it is to be an animal, thinking all animals should be kept in a cage, fed leftovers, and kicked and beaten when they keep making sounds.
    Animals and humans used to have a special bond together, we partnered up together to get things done. And done right.

    Dogs are no different, if we were to treat children like a person should properly treat a dog, the children actually grow up to be rather sensible. It has been known that "training a child like a dog" (and not in the belittling way) has no real bad side-effects, and can be very effective in future progress for the child.

    I'm tired of people saying that treating a child like a dog is awful, when some children are being treated even less than a dog.

  3. #11
    Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nowhere, Yet Somewhere....
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Kids in leashes are way too easy to laugh at. When parents are so afraid of everything that they must leash their kids, then you know that the terrorists won.

    Hilarious.......way too easily hilarious. Katt Williams said something along these lines in The Pimp Chronicles Pt. 1 on Comedy Central a while back. Has anyone seen it? The way he said it was funnier than how I said it, but the sentiment was there.

    If you don't want your kids to be laughed at, spare the leash. Woof, Woof!

  4. #12
    THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    (6 Months of Sun)
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Parents are just stupid these days. It's like those books about how to raise your kids.

    They think being overprotective will save there kid, but in the way it's only hurting them. To develope some form of trust would be nice as well. My mom told me not to touch that bloody hot stove so many times. I didn't care for her opinion until I did it. I knew she was in it for my best interest. Live a little. Knocking your kids adventure skills at such a young age will only allow them to rebel even at a younger age. Leashes are gross. Nothing like a parent acting like they own there kids. People are so worriesome. I wish they check the stuff they are spraying to clean the house. Yes those flumes can kill a kid.



    Silly people. You can't save your kid from life, what makes you think you can save them from thereself. It's fact. That when my mother would put me in teh crib, I figured a way to break out of it. Mini Jail I call it. From the world.


    Would I do it? = D YES! Because I am just that kinda person.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. K For This Useful Post:

    Dark. (Mar 27, 2009), Legend (Mar 27, 2009)

  6. #13
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    They think being overprotective will save there kid, but in the way it's only hurting them. To develope some form of trust would be nice as well. My mom told me not to touch that bloody hot stove so many times. I didn't care for her opinion until I did it.
    Silly me, you are absolutely right! I should let them be kidnapped or hit by that car speeding by! After all then they will know better. There problem solved (no kid evidently = no problem).

    Yes I am being totally sarcastic but after all if that is what it takes to put it in perspective.

    Look, when I was a kid I didn't put my dog on a leash. After all he was responsible, wouldn't leave my sight, and only chased cars from behind (yes, she learned that one the hard way, just like you are recommending). That didn't keep her from being hit by a motorcycle and breaking her hip when she chased the semi and couldn't hear anything else.

    Let me say it again, children under 8 do not reason like you do. Their cognitive thinking hasn't kicked in yet and they just don't think of things sometimes. Sometimes all it takes is once. Once running into traffic, once wandering off and getting lost, once taking off running and ignoring anyone telling them to stop. Just once and it's over.

    Anyone who thinks that leashing your kids is treating them as less then human has never had to search a public building for a 5 year old for 2 hours because they decided it would be fun to play hide and seek from you. (It's not disobeying it's playing.) I am going to put this bluntly, thinking no kid ever needs a leash is utterly clueless and shows a complete lack of experience. It is usually the single adults who glare at you when you have one but it's the parents who care who slip over and quietly ask where you bought it.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  7. #14
    Otaku Click The Colour Champion darkangel1240 is off to a good start darkangel1240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Halloween Town XD
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Um. That's retarded. wow. All parents are losing it theses days. And, they have to keep there kids on leashes. My god. God. if they wander off somewhere , you have to keep them on leashes or they won't get kidnapped or raped.

    Vampire Freaks☠I am not going 2 be on for awhile... ☠

  8. #15
    THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    (6 Months of Sun)
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Silly me, you are absolutely right! I should let them be kidnapped or hit by that car speeding by! After all then they will know better. There problem solved (no kid evidently = no problem).

    Yes I am being totally sarcastic but after all if that is what it takes to put it in perspective.
    Woah woah woah. Be calm here. Whatever you please to do. Then do so. I mean I may have got lost when with my mom at times, but I always knew my way home. I am just saying treating them like that: Having no understanding of things is just like calling them stupid ! I don't really care how you do it. Great for you if it works. You got your reasons. BUT still is it WRONG. It just makes me think that people are always trying to make parenting easier when its not. As I stand tough love is a "B****" but it's one way to go with things. I mean do the kids know we put them on it for there sake? Oh no like you said anyone UNDER 8 wouldn't be able to understand such. That's silly. I'll give you maybe 3 and under tops. But not 8. I never left my fathers side when he took me out. Maybe sometimes my mom would walk off and forget she left me. Her mistake not mine, but I always knew to go up to the cashier and have her page my mother. Yes a Leash would have prevented that whole thing, but it just made me more independent, and my mother a better mother.

    Anyway

    The only way to Loose a kid is you didn't notice they walked away from you, or you didn't notice you walked away from them. o_O Not the kids doing. So I don't see why they should be punished. It's always the parent. Never the kid. I think you under estimating the a child's mind. They are only out to Play and explore. [In the toy ally]


    Second! Even the best parents can't stop a Kidnapping. Really. Leash or no leash if they want your kid they'll get it. You can have your kid on a leash all you want. They'll shoot you and take the kid.

    Anywho!

    Leashes aren't going to help my kid in the future. Maybe a few bruises missed, but the whole trust thing is gone. At such a young age too. Leashes are a form of control. And love is not Control. It's trusting!
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

  9. #16
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Woah woah woah. Be calm here.
    I was calm. I was just highlighting how ridiculous your statement was. It seems to have gotten a reaction from you even if you have completely missed the point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    I am just saying treating them like that: Having no understanding of things is just like calling them stupid !
    No it is recognizing that they are children. Are you going to tell me that babies don't need to be taken care of? That we can just let them be and they'll behave and take care of themselves? Toddlers? Where is the point that they become "responsible"? Children don't just go from utter dependence to perfectly behaved little angles in one step, it takes time (and some never do). Not recognizing that it is a process is naivety on your part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    BUT still is it WRONG. It just makes me think that people are always trying to make parenting easier when its not.
    No it isn't easy in fact it is the hardest thing you can do if you take the time to do it right. Who are you to decide that something that helps you take care of your child and protect them is wrong? Based on what? Personal experience? You are acting like those people who say "when I have kids they will never ____". Well guess what, we don't teach them to run off or throw temper tantrums in public, they come that way, and yes your kids will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    I mean do the kids know we put them on it for there sake?
    Yes, they do because we tell them. It goes with explaining safe behavior like who to go to if they do get lost. Leashes are not used all the time just when there is extra danger. The explanation is that we love them and don't want anything to happen to them because then we would be sad and miss them. As I said before once the children know it is to protect them they like it because it also means that you aren't going to disappear either and children at that age are very attached to mommy and daddy. The only time they don't like it is when they aren't behaving which is when you need it the worst.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Oh no like you said anyone UNDER 8 wouldn't be able to understand such. That's silly.
    No I said that until 8 cognitive thinking hasn't kicked in so everything is learned by rote memorization. It takes time for them to learn what it means and they can't reason for themselves outside of your instructions. How long it takes depends on the individual child. An example (really happened) would be telling a child not to walk across the street by themselves because they might be hit by a car. Then you find them on the other side of the street getting a ball that rolled over there and they tell you, "but I didn't walk I ran"... and they are serious. You're instructions only said not to walk.

    ...and that isn't silly it is reality.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Maybe sometimes my mom would walk off and forget she left me. Her mistake not mine, but I always knew to go up to the cashier and have her page my mother. Yes a Leash would have prevented that whole thing, but it just made me more independent, and my mother a better mother.
    So your beliefs on the subject is based on the fact that your mother would regularly forget you were there and leave you alone? I honestly feel sorry for you.

    It happens all the time in opposite however, a parent will be shopping and stop to grab some apples from the shelf and turn around and the dang kid has slipped off the instant they weren't looking right at him. Not every kid will do it but some will, who are you to say that the parent is being negligent? Have you ever had to keep an eye on a kid that doesn't stay where they know they are supposed to? Have you ever had to search the entire store, put out a code ADAM to keep someone from kidnapping them, and get all the employees to look with you with your heart pounding in fear the entire time? If you haven't then you simply do not know what you are talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    I think you under estimating the a child's mind. They are only out to Play and explore.
    No I am not underestimating them at all, that is the exact reason there is a problem. There is just some places they should NOT be playing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Second! Even the best parents can't stop a Kidnapping. Really. Leash or no leash if they want your kid they'll get it. You can have your kid on a leash all you want. They'll shoot you and take the kid.
    No they don't, the shootings like you mention is a rare and unusual occurrence. The vast majority of kidnappings occur when your back is turned, the kid has wandered off, or when they are out of your grasp and there is enough space for the kidnapper to get away. Not everyplace is a danger for such things but there are places that are and it is foolish to think that you as a parent can keep that close an eye on them at all times. My in-laws have lost children to kidnappings in Disneyland that were never found. You can bet that when they (or we) go there any child not old enough to be taken seriously if they say they are being taken either stays in a stroller or goes on a leash at all times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Leashes aren't going to help my kid in the future. Maybe a few bruises missed, but the whole trust thing is gone. At such a young age too. Leashes are a form of control. And love is not Control. It's trusting!
    Ah, there is the "my kid won't" statement I was waiting for (from the single person with no kids or experience of their own), as usual though it is completely wrong. It isn't a control issue at all and they trust you even more for it because it means you love and care for them. This is not just opinion this is experience speaking, can you say the same?
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: double negative

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

    Scourge (Mar 30, 2009)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Having kids?
    By equinn in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2008, 02:53 AM
  2. I'm new and silly
    By Lolo Bell in forum Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 09, 2006, 11:04 AM
  3. Silly Nooblet
    By frednoid in forum Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 06, 2006, 03:23 PM
  4. kids
    By anime_8000 in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 21, 2006, 08:04 AM
  5. Silly Questions
    By Legend in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 05, 2005, 10:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts