+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

^
    what she said. anyway, the reason it worked with me, is that as a kid my mom explained everything she did to me. everytime she would tell me to do or not do something she told me the reason why. the main reason she still put the leash on me is because i didn't listen because i was a kid.
    i agree, it looks very funny, but its better to be safe. And I had no problem with it at all.
    and i think all parents should explain stuff to their kids.

and quite frankly, i see no harm a leash could cause. and i know because my mom in the mean time has a PhD in psychology.

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

click to show spoiler

Bleh bleh bleh. Your not going to convince me that this is the Best way to go. Ever

Please don't talk about my future kids. I don't even know them. So don't try to generalize me with those that don't care for your silly opinion on this matter. Let's be real. I won't even go into the personal because all it seems you'll do is attack me on that matter.

Leashes are a form on CONTROL!. Catch what I am saying? If you want to generalize anyone you should do it with you and all your friends that believe in it. That is okay I don't mind you. I don't have kids, and no I don't tell women how to raise there kids. It's not my business as far as I am concerned.

Dad's Opinion:

You can only be the best you can be. Holding onto anything or child can only make them more dependent and less independent. I can only say when talking to the youth of today try not only use your experience, but the know how in which you have learned in communicate. I'm older and wiser by the way I talk to others and not how I say it was done by me.

I only say this because you just said my thoughts are worth nothing because I have no children and no experience in this matter. So in this I grab my father. Who's had 5 kids that are all in University. And don't suffer from today's stupid youth trends. I believe he's done well in raising us. So I figure his opinion was something more then I.

I believe since my parents didn't need a leash for me, and I am doing great and my brothers are doing great then it's not needed. Since I believe my parents aren't controlling but trusting and I love them both. I believe there opinions have some say in how I'll raise my kids and a great bringing as they did me. No I was never the kid to yell in the store, or my brothers so I don't believe my kids will be. I understood about image at a very young age. So whatever floats your boat.

Idk did you parents use a leash on you?
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Please don't talk about my future kids. I don't even know them.
    You are the one that brought them up not me. If I am generalizing you it is because you are fitting yourself into a general group by your statements. The "my kids will never" group who don't have any. I am going to be nice and warn you by the way. Those of us who hear "my kids will never" love to watch once you actually have kids. If you're a good friend we will also help your kids teach you what they actually do such as, oh... buying a drum for the friend who claimed that his kid would never be noisy because he would actually discipline them.

Leashes are a form on CONTROL!. Catch what I am saying?
    Completely. You seem to be missing the fact that that isn't a bad thing. After all what is the first thing people say when they are upset about someone else's kids? "Why can't they control them!" You are also missing the fact that control does not automatically = loss of trust, instead when done for the right reasons and with understanding it will increase.

I believe since my parents didn't need a leash for me, and I am doing great and my brothers are doing great then it's not needed.
    Good for you. Now are you saying that everyone else in the world is just like you and your brothers?

No I was never the kid to yell in the store, or my brothers so I don't believe my kids will be.
    Idk did you parents use a leash on you? [/COLOR]
    No, I didn't yell in the store either. The first time I tried my mom walked off and left me to embarrass myself instead of her. To bad you can't do that these days in most places. Worked on me, worked on one of my kids, the other one knew I would never actually leave him so he just waited until I came back to get him them laid back down on the floor and continued where he left off. lol Like I said every kid is different.

I may not have ever needed a leash but when my mother found herself with two little boys catching an international flight you can bet my brothers went on leashes. When you need them you need them.

PS. I am serious about that warning too. In my experience it is the people who say their kids will never ____ or they themselves will never ____ that find themselves with kids that put them right there. You have now been duly warned.

PPS. Your father seems to be a wise man. May I point out however that he said "the youth of today". We are not discussing youth we are discussing children and young ones at that. There is a huge difference and the two should not be treated the same.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Mar 30, 2009)

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

Aw Cmon now I know no ones the same, and not one person lives the same either. Lets just get that out of the way. But I do believe different cultures and values, can cause a child to be raised in different ways. And some beneficial, and others not.

Yea my fathers bright, but then again my father never treated us like kids. I guess you could say I was fast in growing up. Common Scene wise. My father didn't want naive children.

I can see you quoting that wrongly, but I don't mind it. I liked being smart at a young age. A lot of adults weren't fond of it thou. When I say adults I mean non-parents. Always telling me to act like a kid. I really think they meant: "Play stupid for me Please." People gave my parents a lot of crap for it, but some admired our intelligence. Wondering how they could make their kid more Independent like us.

Anywho

I'll take your warning into consideration.

P.S. You naturally stated that you'd tell your kids why your putting them on the leash? If so, if that was what your saying. Then so be it. If you believe they understand that your doing it out of love, and safety, then so be it.

I was naturally stating those kids that don't know, and I see there parents togging at them, and pulling on them. Kid takes off and are caught by a leash short grasp and falls on there butts. The child seems like a animal. These won't stop the nature of where a leash comes from. Yea maybe I shouldn't generalize all the mothers that do it, but I have seen some cases that maybe Child Services wouldn't find spiffy. But then I am not the person to ever break up families. It goes against my morals. Yes I have those sadly.

Let me just say this. Not that I believe in leashes I don't. But if the parent's intentions are good. Okay, but not every mother's intentions are great. I won't generalize all the mothers that do it. But with good come the bad.

I'll leave it at that.

I guess it all comes down to the intentions on the matter.

It seems like I am giving up, but don't think that. Years from now when they are looking back and say how barbaric we were in these times because we couldn't control our children. And leash them down. I can see this getting blown out of proportion. But then who cares about that, at least all the children will be safe. But then again I guess it's not as bad as the micro-chip in your kids hand.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea my fathers bright, but then again my father never treated us like kids.
    Neither did my mother. She hates babytalk and talking down to children so we were always very articulate. I became used to the looks of total non-comprehension from kids my age let alone the adults. She never cared that we weren't the typical kids, we were intelligent and that is more important. She did however use leashes on the rare occasion when they were necessary.

I can see you quoting that wrongly, but I don't mind it.
    Are you sure? Ask your father how old you were when you (and your individual siblings) no longer needed constant supervision? The answer may surprise you.

I'll take your warning into consideration.
    Good for you. Maybe you'll avoid "the curse"then.

I was naturally stating those kids that don't know, and I see there parents togging at them, and pulling on them. Kid takes off and are caught by a leash short grasp and falls on there butts. The child seems like a animal.
    Sounds to me like the leash is working then. Would you prefer the child succeed in running off out of control? If they appear to be like animals perhaps it is because of the child's actions and not necessarily the leash. Do they appear any less animalistic when they run rampant and the parent is forced to chase them down at top speed as if their pet just charged a stranger or wee'd somewhere they shouldn't? I am not saying that you haven't seen it taken to excess only that you may be misinterpreting what you are seeing. One of the biggest problems facing parents these days is people being quick to judge and point fingers anytime you kid does something you are forced to discipline them for. Either the kid is an "uncontrolled spoiled brat" or you are "abusive" for daring to tell them to cut it out. I have watched parents reduced to begging their kids to behave in public because they don't dare raise their voice or give them a piece of their mind for fear of someone pointing a finger at them and accusing them of being "abusive". Discipline and control, especially in public, is not abuse. (Abuse is telling your kids they are stupid, beating them for having an opinion, and other actions like that.) A leash to control a child that would not otherwise control themselves is instead rather smart in contrast to the other option and a daring choice that takes guts when there are people out there so ready to point their finger and judge the parent for it.

As I said before, it is those without children of their own who judge and glare when they see your child on a leash but it is the concerned parents who quietly ask you where you bought it. Think about that for a second. It is attitudes like what you have expressed that force the parents who care to be afraid to ask about something they need. You would think they were hitting you up for illegal drugs or something similar instead.

"psst, where did you buy the leash? You mean it is actually made for children! How much did it cost? Thanks!" *slinks off so no one thinks we actually know each other*

Oh, and most kids don't need a leash by the time they are 6 unless it is a place where the danger of kidnapping or accidents is very high. By that time you have learned to speak children's equivalent of "legalese".

"You may not touch, poke, brush by, nudge or otherwise come in contact with the items on the shelves. Instead you are to put your hands behind you back and keep them there anytime you are not holding my hand. If you break these rules the party of the first part (being I, your mother) will put you in time out the second we get home if not sooner."

I guess it all comes down to the intentions on the matter.
    Yes, yes it does.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Kozoi is off to a good start Kozoi's Avatar
    Thanks

Putting kids on leashes seems like an idiotic idea, you can always hold their hand. Some kids can riot out of control though. Theres a large group of girls aged 6-10 who always throw dirt and stones at me and my dog and I can't do a thing about it because I am like 16 and male. I've been taught not to hit girls but I do feel like reporting them to the police for when they threw mudbombs at my window.

Eh, oh well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3