Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lawsuits over religious icons?

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lawsuits over religious icons?

This is as stupid as to whether to change the name "Christmas tree" to the "holiday tree" and "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays".

People just doesn't understand religious tolerance.

Having said that, Christmas is not really a Christian holiday anymore; it's a consumer holiday.
    Quoted for emphasis.

Newbie Esperologist may be famous one day Esperologist may be famous one day Esperologist's Avatar
    Thanks

I am a Christian - Baptist (Independent). If you want clarification on what my particular beliefs are, perhaps I'll figure out the journals thing to put that up.

In my opinion, the tree is not a Christian symbol. Sure, people have given it such symbolizm now, but I do not accept it. (Besides, there are other things given Christian symbolizm that are blatently not.)

Since Christmas is really Christ-Mass, it is just another way of saying church service... it just focuses on the fact that it is a service about Christ. Technically, I go to a Christ-Mass every Sunday.
    However, Christmas is traditionaly considered Jesus' birthday. (Although, he wasn't born in December, from what I understand.)
    A proper symbol is the Nativity (manger scene), though the normaly displayed ones tend to have some inaccuracies, but that isn't important.

Now, when it comes to religious based lawsuits, there are probably situations that it is okay... but usually, I'd say no. Since I don't consider a decorated tree to be a proper Christian symbol, I don't mind other religions protesting it.
    It does look good, and makes public property look better too.

I celebrate Christmas primarily by going to my church's candlelight service that is geared to focusing on the birth and ministry of Jesus.
    After that, we do exchange presents. However, if I should ever get married and have kids, I don't want to do Christmas presents. I'd rather have random presents during the year. I could suddenly come home in April with a board game, a video game and a gorgeous piece of jewlery for my wife... all for no apparent reason.

Well, back on topic:
    Launching a religious lawsuit does more to hurt the religion of the one launching it then it does to the religion under attack.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard about this whole Christmas tree incident a while ago but never really knew the facts surrounding it all. I think that sending threatening messages after something like that is a bit redundant considering taking down all of the trees was over-reacting.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Namida Goddess View Post
    I heard about this whole Christmas tree incident a while ago but never really knew the facts surrounding it all. I think that sending threatening messages after something like that is a bit redundant considering taking down all of the trees was over-reacting.
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 14 days or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    http://www.animeonline.net/faq.php?f...faq_faqposting

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2