+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lazy Typing

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Lazy Typing

After being a moderator here for a while, I never really noticed the amount of members who do not typing in continuous prose and using the correct spelling of words. It amazes me as to how some people can use "text typing" in every day life. I would rather think it would be important to practise typing properly as it will help with future careers. But when I see people getting a little lazy and not type using the correct spelling it makes me wonder on how good the education system is.

What are your views on this topic?
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lazy Typing

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    After being a moderator here for a while, I never really noticed the amount of members who do not typing in continuous prose and using the correct spelling of words. It amazes me as to how some people can use "text typing" in every day life. I would rather think it would be important to practise typing properly as it will help with future careers. But when I see people getting a little lazy and not type using the correct spelling it makes me wonder on how good the education system is.

What are your views on this topic?
    I think that infractions should be handed out to people who use poor grammar. (I realize that English is not the first language of many members, but it would also help them learn to write correctly.) Grammar is very important. If they were to come to an English-speaking country and spoke the way they type . . . . people would look at them as if they had eight arms and purple hair.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I'm all for writing correctly. In fact, I regularly edit thread titles into more legible English.
    It's just a youth thing I think, the internet generation works with all kinds of crazy spelling methods.

E.g. Iz Itachi kool? y/n,y?

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    Thanks

I edited a members post today who had used words like "Enouf". Surly it would help people learn more if they got used to writing correctly, or is it just my old fashioned way of doing things?

I always tend to try and write in proper English where ever I can, Even in text messages I do unless I have very little time to write one. I can understand using "text typing" on a mobile phone but on a keyboard where you are able to use more that your thumbs. Its just a little crazy to think its not really going to hurt to see people type correctly as your able to use more fingers.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

I know how you guys and gals feel about the correct spelling and grammar.
    and it gets on my nerves because you have to try and decipher what the person is trying to tell you.

so go and give infractions but make large enough to be taken seriously but at the same time small enough not to get banned.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Members shouldn't feel like they're taking an English exam while posting here but a LITTLE effort is not too much to ask is it?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    I think that infractions should be handed out to people who use poor grammar. (I realize that English is not the first language of many members, but it would also help them learn to write correctly.) Grammar is very important. If they were to come to an English-speaking country and spoke the way they type . . . . people would look at them as if they had eight arms and purple hair.
    Grammar IS very important. I know that mine isn't perfect, but I try. I can't stand when people use run-on sentences, or type in all caps. Don't forget the people WHO TYPE IN ALL CAPS! Ugh... Then there's the text typists....

Y'know, the people who like to say things like, "TTYL," or "ty 4 ur hlp". It belittles the English language. It's like they chew it up and spit it out. And lot's of people end up making it a habit, so they can't spell for jack. I think your IQ drops a couple of points when you type that way for longer than five minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Members shouldn't feel like they're taking an English exam while posting here but a LITTLE effort is not too much to ask is it?
    Yes, that is what we hope for members to do. That is why there is a character limit after all. Which I think has helped the quality of the posts here on AO but it still bewilders me to see people who ignore the vowels within words. I know that its easier to type with just the consonants but that doesn't mean its correct grammar and spelling.

It does make me wonder if text typing should be banned, I mean it must not be helping one pass an English exam on grammar and spelling.
    Last edited by Sazzy; Nov 08, 2007 at 01:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast