+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on Other Planets

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Life on Other Planets

I say yes, as we just need to find that life form somewhere in the universe, somewhere. It could even be in our own galaxy like mars. Or in a tottaly different galaxy
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Well, this isn't much of a debate . Everyone's agreeing that the likelihood of there NOT being life somewhere out there is insanely small, including me.

The universe we live in is unimaginably huge. As others have mentioned, theres at least billions of other galaxies, each with billions of stars, and each of those likely to have planets of their own. Then you've got all the other pieces of debris floating around space, like asteroids, meteors, moons & so on. If we're the only living things on all these lumps of rock & other garbage floating around space, that'll make us one hell of a fluke!!

There's also another angle to think of too.
    [metal panel]WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT[/metal panel]
    (Sorry, couldn't help it. Blame the Mythbusters...)
    If you pick up any info on the theory designed to explain the universe called "String Theory", you'll more than likely hear them describe the possibility of other realities. I was channel surfing expecting to find music videos when I instead found a show describing how the universe is supposed to work, which kinda got me hooked since there wasn't anything else on.

The part that really stuck in my mind is that there is potentially infinite other realities out there. They describe gravity forming loops of energy, which drift between these universes, with new ones being created every time a variation happens. Say someone drops a water bomb from a higher level onto someone below. In one reality, it hits drenching the victim, while meanwhile a new one is made where they move aside at the last minute & it misses, hitting the person in charge instead. In that reality they dropper gets busted, while in the first the victim has to go home to change.

Now, with all these realities popping up, there's also the possibility we could get visitors from these other realities, where history has taken another path & technology is different. Heck, there's even the chance we could learn to pass into then directly out of one of these realities, allowing us to travel to other planets in our reality in no time. As they say in Event Horizon, the shortest distance between 2 locations is nothing...

OK, I think I've sounded geeky enough to last the year...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Banned CTD High Jump Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Kill Time in Your Office Champion, Slow Motion Champion, Moodys Magical Eye Champion, The Fridge Champion, Dangerous Fishing Champion, Panda Golf 2: Christmas Edition Champion, Driving Mad Champion, Head to Head Champion, Super Headers Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Air Dodge Champion, Chopper Chase Champion, F/A-18 Hornet Champion, Snow Boarding Champion, Spaceman Bob`s Great Escape Champion, Space Cowboy Champion, Rons Free Fall Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Black Dragon Champion, Samegame and Champion, Mayan Mask Champion, 42 Games Champion, Cubedelic Champion, Smaugs Schatkist Champion, Python Champion, Thor Towers Champion Mini Dev is off to a good start
    Thanks

Ok life forms such as us i belive will be found oneday which kinda answers the question for me, yes i do belive their is diffrent life on other planets. Even now scientists have found life on mars, little insects but because there was a short river of water on the planet little creatures were able to surive there. I belive their is another earth, not a parrlel universe or anyhting like that but an earth very similar to this one. It would be strange to meet other people like us. However how do we know how big the universe is? The latest lasers and telescopes maybe so close to the edge of the universe and we don't even know it so techinaclly we cannot answer this question, but my instinct says yes.

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel219 View Post

If you pick up any info on the theory designed to explain the universe called "String Theory", you'll more than likely hear them describe the possibility of other realities. I was channel surfing expecting to find music videos when I instead found a show describing how the universe is supposed to work, which kinda got me hooked since there wasn't anything else on.

The part that really stuck in my mind is that there is potentially infinite other realities out there. They describe gravity forming loops of energy, which drift between these universes, with new ones being created every time a variation happens. Say someone drops a water bomb from a higher level onto someone below. In one reality, it hits drenching the victim, while meanwhile a new one is made where they move aside at the last minute & it misses, hitting the person in charge instead. In that reality they dropper gets busted, while in the first the victim has to go home to change.

Now, with all these realities popping up, there's also the possibility we could get visitors from these other realities, where history has taken another path & technology is different. Heck, there's even the chance we could learn to pass into then directly out of one of these realities, allowing us to travel to other planets in our reality in no time. As they say in Event Horizon, the shortest distance between 2 locations is nothing...

OK, I think I've sounded geeky enough to last the year...

Hardly sounded geeky enough for a year, try talking with absolute Star Wars nerd or DnD nerds, that's when it gets amazing lol.

Anywho, this theory catches my intrest (And usually I detest Scientific "Theories", for to me they do NOT equal up to fact, but that's me, call me a fool but what ever). A way I preceive this theory is of course, using Star Wars in an example, if what you're saying can be true, then in a different "reality" there is something known as The Force, a "Dark Side", "Jedi", "Sith". While to another there can be one but no the either, and another reality can have the many races seen in DnD, but that's just my whole mind relating with fantasy is saying. But also what you describe is saying, that what happens in one reality, something we think of can happen in some alter reality (Such as seeing the girl you "love" but not telling her you love her after knowing her for a while, yet in some other reality you do and things either go good in one reality or bad in the other). If so in a sense I see an edless streem almost of just actions happening linkng together. Hell in sense it's like an "Echo" so to say, like they do with "The Force (I am sorry for comparing Star Wars, I just...yeah...)

Sorry I'm just seeing if I caught on to that correctly, which catches my intrest even if I didn't.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Newbie kumabear76 is off to a good start kumabear76's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel219 View Post

Actually, I think you said it all. It's silly to think that we're it in the universe. As far as the unviersal timeline is concerned, we're suimply a speck of dirt not even on the radar. Humanity has been around for such a small amount of time that when you consider it, how can there not be other civilizations that have sprung up somewhere else? Reality is infinite.

Newbie cheatzero199320 is off to a good start cheatzero199320's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Life on Other Planets

I do belive there are life on other planets, but its funny
    why don't aliens just take over the world already...
    I think that there just waiting for us to destory ourselves
    or for so called "mother nature"to destory us.humans aren't that
    resiliant to the outer areas of space.so the whole point of this is
    humans shall die and aliens will just come back to reap the
    leftovers a.k.a the EARTH...
    (im board)

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Life on Other Planets

Quote Originally Posted by HolderOfTheDarkChalice View Post

that have harsh or lethal enviroments
    but we have those things here on our planet that have
    organisms living in them that are almost lethal for us
    But that can only be harsh and lethal to us wouldn't it? Like when they say that a certain other planet is unable to sustain life, they usually say it's unable to sustain human life. . . yah know what I mean? Some other different life form might be adapted to that kind of enviroment, but since it's lethal for us to actually check it out, we can't be sure. . . . is my answer too confusing?
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheza View Post
    But that can only be harsh and lethal to us wouldn't it? Like when they say that a certain other planet is unable to sustain life, they usually say it's unable to sustain human life. . . yah know what I mean? Some other different life form might be adapted to that kind of enviroment, but since it's lethal for us to actually check it out, we can't be sure. . . . is my answer too confusing?
    No your answer makes a lot of sense, more so then a few others I have read. Think about bacteria, there are hundreds of strains and many of them live in exstreamly harsh enviroments and surviving off of other gasses other then air. There are bacteria that breath methain, other sulfer dioxide and carbindioxid. There is a very high probability that if we do find alien life that it will be single celled orgenisms, but multie celled organisms which are more complex in cell structure can also evolve to live in similar enviroments. But inteligent life I think is much more rair. Evolution does not favor inteligence, evolution favors servivability. A good example is the scorpian. Those things have been here sense life has began. The only thing that has chainged is there size. The largest scorpian today is what, a few inches long? When life was getting started how ever they were the size of a large German Shepard and were amphibious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast