+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 132

Thread: Life on Other Planets

  1. #41
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Not Really, have you heard the theory on folding space? If one were able to do it via a worm hole or artificial means, they could go from one part of the galaxy to the next in an instant.
    Yes, I have, but it's jus' a theory 'cause we currently lack the technology ta b capable of enactin' such a feat. And 'til we do have that technology, we have ta rely on a more traditional method of space travel and travelin' billions of light years would take millions of generations.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  2. #42
    Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 171 Times in 152 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Not Really, have you heard the theory on folding space? If one were able to do it via a worm hole or artificial means, they could go from one part of the galaxy to the next in an instant.
    That's very true, but the problem is the mathematics involved to actually create a worm hole or a hyperspace gate. And even if you do figure it out, the power out put to create it would be mind blowing. But once again that to can be solved, but then here is another problem which is sustaining a worm hole/hyperspace gate. Sending something through would cause it to be incredibly unstable, collapsing on said space craft, ripping it in half. Well your almost there. Say that you can create all of this, the machine to create it, the power source to sustain it, some device to keep it stable to travel through, but here is yet another problem... How the hell would you direct it to get to where you need to be? How would you guide it to spit you out at the right spot with out getting lost? This last one I have an idea, and that would involve creating a worm hole/hyperspace gate. An actual mechanical gate in ring shape large enough to send an object the size of a space ship through. But the thing is you need two of these. One at point A and the other at point B. Just like in Stargate but much bigger.

  3. #43
    Otaku Maskot Kombat Champion Titanofdeath is off to a good start Titanofdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Any where and every where.
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    I dont think there is life on another planet i will say that the the chruch has pretty much gave a good reason there can not be. And when i see that there is life on a nother planet i will just eat my words.

    "Be the change that you want to see in the world." "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. " "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Quote Mohandas Gandhi

  4. #44
    Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 171 Times in 152 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanofdeath View Post
    I dont think there is life on another planet i will say that the the chruch has pretty much gave a good reason there can not be. And when i see that there is life on a nother planet i will just eat my words.
    Oh they have have they, why am I not surprised that they said that. Don’t get me wrong, I am of Roman Catholic faith but even then I bring into question into the meaning of the words and stories because of peoples habit of misinterpreting things.
    Once again it also depends on the church. Now I am not a big church goer my self but I have been to a few Roman Catholic churches in my time, some believe that there is life out there, some do not.
    To those who are saying "See, religion is for the stupid and blah blah blah" Well once again you are wrong and ignorant as those who fallow faith blindly and fallowing what could very well be a misinterpretation by taking it at word value or looking to deep into the meaning and completely missing the point. ANY WAY, back to the topic at hand. A good example of how wrong you are is this. During the middle of the renaissance religion dictated that the Earth was the center of the universe and that the sun revolved around the Earth just like every other planet and stars. We know today that this is completely wrong. But the church and religion said that the Earth blah blah blah. Well guess what, they were wrong, just like they are wrong about there not being life out beyond Earth and our little Sol system. The planet doesnt need to look like Earth to support life. Look at Titen, a lot of the chemical compounds that creat life are there.

    Saturn's Moon Titan
    Last edited by Scourge; Mar 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM.

  5. #45
    Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Posts
    948
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Well, didn't Akura13 & TitanOfDeath ruffle a few feathers. Might as well throw my 2 cents worth in...

    I know he's been banned, but I'll still be nice & reply to his comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akura13 View Post
    Hmph, honestly, I don't think that "other lifeforms" live on other planets. Why do I think this? Because seriously, wouldn't we have found them by now? Or wouldn't they have at least sent a sighn that they were somewhere? I don't think so. Plus, if teher even was otehr life, it wouldn't be in our little solar system, or else we deffinatly would've found SOMETHING by now.
    Essentially, what we are doing now when it comes to looking for life offworld essentially can be compared to a mouse stuck on a small rock in the middle of our biggest ocean, quietly squeaking "Anyone there?". While it's the best we can do for now, we are just one tiny speck, our star "The Sun" barely visible when looking at our galaxy alone, but when you then start to look at all the other galaxy's out there, now the mouse is trying to call out to someone on PLUTO! Though our radio transmissions may go a lot further than a mouse's squeak, it'll be a good while before our transmissions reach anything inhabited most likely, then there's the question of will the transmission be strong enough for them to pick it up...

    I'm not saying it's hopeless, just trying to put some perspective on it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanofdeath View Post
    I dont think there is life on another planet i will say that the the chruch has pretty much gave a good reason there can not be. And when i see that there is life on a nother planet i will just eat my words.
    Like Scourge said, though the church represent God for us poor buggers stuck down here (haven't been to church in ages, but still believe. Still, more sleep would be nice, perhaps I should go to a few masses...), there's still one thing you can't forget about them - they're human. Humans get scared sometime about new ideas.

    If I remember correctly, many people used to have a saying, "If God wanted us to fly, he'd given us wings". Well, I say he gave us the brains to make our own, it's just the people scared to fly who make up most of those who say such things. Similar thing goes with the church & "evil space monsters" in this case. I'd say they got scared of the idea of life forms on anything but the Earth God made in 6 days, so they declared it a foolish idea.

    Please note; I'm not trying to insult any religious people out there, hell I still barrack for the Big Guy, I'm just saying his minions here on earth are human, & as such make mistakes & put personal opinions into their translations on God's lessons. I mean, I remember hearing about this nutter who went around America back during the cowboy era I believe, smashing holy christian statues & other such religious items with his local churches blessings, because he deemed them heretical. They didn't meet his person standards...

    The Madman previously known as Daniel219

    Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to LordCastigator For This Useful Post:

    Scourge (Mar 21, 2008)

  7. #46
    Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York.
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Quote Originally Posted by LordCastigator View Post
    Fair enough. We're all entitled to believe what we want to believe.

    I am curious though, what kind of evidence would you need to see? Would you need a conversation with an alien life form, or would a creditable pic be enough? Hell, would you need to see their home planet for yourself?

    Just curious...

    Excellent question. I suppose, under the circumstances, Give me a form of clear evidence such as a real spaceship or a real alien. For example, I would still NOT believe in them if a person got a picture of a so-said "spaceship" but it doesn't really seem like it's factual. I suppose it just has to look realistic enough? It's rather hard to describe...I'm gonna leave it at a Creditable pic for now. Something that gives me the feeling that it really is an alien. Not a white dot on a picture. I hope that makes sense... If not please say so.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

  8. #47
    Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Posts
    948
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    Quote Originally Posted by dark angel swordsman View Post
    Excellent question. I suppose, under the circumstances, Give me a form of clear evidence such as a real spaceship or a real alien. For example, I would still NOT believe in them if a person got a picture of a so-said "spaceship" but it doesn't really seem like it's factual. I suppose it just has to look realistic enough? It's rather hard to describe...I'm gonna leave it at a Creditable pic for now. Something that gives me the feeling that it really is an alien. Not a white dot on a picture. I hope that makes sense... If not please say so.
    So something that looks so real it's hard not to believe? Sound fair enough, just remember the way technology is going, it's getting easier to make pictures like that. Then again, they might just decide we've advanced enough, then introduce themselves to us...

    The Madman previously known as Daniel219

    Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

  9. #48
    Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wherever the Army sends me. ^_^
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Life on Other Planets

    I understand both your points here, but umm. Im going off the fact that after as long as we have been here i would think that we would have found some sort of "real" evidence. And in my opinion, in order to actually "believe" that there is some sort of alien lifeform, i would need to see it in person. Technology makes it too easy to make a fake photo or video. Hell truthfully even in person you cant say 100% its real. But for myself, i would say, in person.

    +=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. .:Life Cycle:..."Life, Death, and Rebirth" 1/8/08
    By iluvmyloser in forum POTM (Poem of the Month)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 08, 2008, 07:36 PM
  2. A Lonely Life Is The Best Life?
    By HolderOfTheDarkChalice in forum Poems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
  3. Life As You Think You Know It!
    By HolderOfTheDarkChalice in forum Poems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 23, 2007, 09:58 PM
  4. All my life
    By Sincere in forum Poems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 05, 2006, 06:25 AM
  5. do you believe in god or life?
    By hellknight in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2006, 03:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts