+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested in Forum Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Man arrested in Forum Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

Saw this news article on the Gamers forum I frequent, and I thought I'd post it here, and start a debate topic related to it.

First, the article

A German gamer has been arrested near Frankfurt on suspicion of involvement in the death of a British student, Matthew Pyke.

The unnamed suspect is believed to have had a disagreement with Pyke on Wars Central - a forum for fans of the Advance Wars series that Pyke moderated.

Police allege that the 21 year old man traveled to Nottingham, UK, and gained entry to Pyke's flat where he stabbed the 20 year old student to death. Pyke's body was discovered last Friday by his girlfriend, also a site moderator.
    Are people taking the internet and the things people say on it too seriously?

Now, I've seen some pretty epic flame wars on forums... and mostly on 4chan, but to go into another country and kill someone simply over a forum disaggreement is a bit much. And the fact the victim was a Moderator, this does hit close to home.

What do you think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

SweetCandi (Sep 29, 2008)

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Man arrested in Fourm Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

ha, I think you should watch your back ace. You might have a military upbringing but you can't stop a military of forum newbs out to get ya. :P

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie Hostil Spike is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Man arrested in Fourm Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

Thats kinda funny really... The amount of times I've ended flame wars by giving the aggressor my adress and telling em to come sort it out in person xD

If I am to be murdered I really hope its by an angry forum user...

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

some people have serious social problems and let the internet be taken too seriously, but i think in general few people would go to this extreme. I personally think you should never take anything way too seriously because this is likely the thing that'll happen regardless of what you take too serious. Calm the phuck down, people.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Sep 26, 2008)

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Top 10 dangerous jobs. And these are just in the US

Extra: The 10 most dangerous jobs in America - MSN Money

Being a website moderator is international...
    I actually thouhgt that would make it safer... I just cant imagine why someone would travel to another state, let alone country... just to lash out over internet beef? Man........ *remembers all the internet drama I've been involved in* I am surprised I am still here.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Sep 26, 2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Do I rember, or do I remEMber
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Man arrested in Forum Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

this not only happens on forums, but in real life all the time.
    so really its nothing new.

Same thing happened with a 11 yr old, i think its much more shocking.

The 11-year-old schoolgirl murdered her 12-year-old classmate, Satomi Mitarai, in an empty classroom during the lunch hour at Okubo Elementary School in Sasebo. She left Mitarai's body at the murder scene and returned to her own classroom, her clothes covered in blood. The girls' teacher, who had noticed that both were missing, found the body and called the police.

After being taken into custody, she was reported as confessing to the crime, saying "I am sorry, I am sorry" to police, though initially said no motive. Shortly afterward, she confessed to police that she and Mitarai had fallen out as a result of messages left on the Internet. She claimed that Mitarai slandered her.

Sasebo slashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tell u more there and links to articles related.
    Yay-yea?

Otaku SweetCandi is off to a good start SweetCandi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Man arrested in Forum Murder - Are people taking the internet too seriously?

wow! what a scary story..i do think ppl are taking what ppl say on net way tooo seriously.(epsicallly in this case).i mean what ppl say to us ..are just words..they dont really know us..so why take it offensive..maybe this person really have some problems...im curios though of what the mods said too?? what was disagree on ,was it that bad,..to the point where u had to kill someone over it..O.o;;;

Newbie Ralisation is off to a good start Ralisation's Avatar
    Thanks

Insane and ridiculous.I wonder what kind of indescribable argument over some games in the Internet could made the murderer lost all his senses,fly all the way to the moderator's house and kill him.The money,the time...Way beyond taking things very seriously or rather this is taking things seriously to the extreme...worse in the Internet,worst over a game.Surprisingly all the time he spent traveling had not calmed him down at all.And yes...serious social problems.I wonder if this will largely boost the courage of troublemakers.Its game,who know it might be anime next time.Ah well,better not.

Guess there will be lesser Internet(forum) dramas mmm?Maybe,or perhaps one is not enough?Worthy to be sticked

Classic avatar!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast