+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Married Couple, find out they are twins...

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Married Couple, find out they are twins...

Okay, so heres the story. A married couple from the UK are trying to have children, yet they are unsuccessfull. So they go to get themselves checked to find out why. turns out they were twins seperated at birth.

(heres a link to the story)
    BBC NEWS | UK | Parted-at-birth twins 'married'

Now what i want to discuss was your personal opinions and views on this matter?

Should they seperate despite their genuine love for each other before the discovery of their siblingship?

Is it wrong to love your sibling? (or other relative?)

Should marriage be allowed between relatives?

What about the genetics? (in the making of a child)

How is incest viewed in our society?
    Is it morally wrong?

Or is our world becoming more accepting of incest?

Those are a few of the questions you can discuss, or whatever your heart desires.

Personally, my view on the topic is this....

If you love a person, despite who they might be, (same sex, relative, other ethnicity, etc) i think you should go for it.

Becuase love doesn't discriminate.
    Of course there might be barriers in these type of relationships, its just something these couples have to work through.
    But thats what being a couple is right?

Thats my view.

(and just so everybody knows, the marriage between the twins was considered invalid being pended upon the circumstance that tyhey are blood relatives.)

Thank you.
    Your opinions will be greatly appreaciated.

(oh, just wondering, if anyone would also like to discuss how this may be related to the story Oedipus, views on it and its meanings, and Antigone, the story of children after an incestous relationship:just to add a little icing on the cake...)
    Last edited by Rook; Jan 15, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Adding icing to the cake....

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Married Couple, find out they are twins...

Incest is barred for genetic reasons, not for moral ones. Close relatives bearing children limit gene pools, create more likely conditions for a child to inherit rare diseases or recessive traits, and ocaisionally results in genetic mutation/deformities. If you aren't planning on conceiving children naturally with someone who is a close blood relative, I doubt anyone could find a good reason NOT to support your decision to be with them anyway. And by GOOD reason, I mean a concrete scientific or moral reason.

"It gives me the willies" doesn't really count.

Chances are, we're all the product of quite a bit of incest somewhere down the line. ESPECIALLY if you're a believer of Judeo-Christian religions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

Rook (Jan 14, 2008)

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Married a reletive. now that is just to damn creepy for me. I am serious. Yeah it was done in the past in royal families to keep their blood pure from everyday servents in the romans but its just to damn creepy. How is it right to marry a releative. It is wrong to marry you are related to. The dna is too similar so it is wrong
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cantsenditback View Post
    How is it right to marry a releative. It is wrong to marry you are related to. The dna is too similar so it is wrong
    And how is it right to marry anyone? Last I checked, most marry for love: not out of obligation to our species (we can accomplish the latter with just sex). If anything: marriage ITSELF is what's unnatural.

And you haven't addressed the notion that many married couples never have children: either because they can not, don't want to, or have chosen to adopt. Moreover: should people with AIDS, hemophelia, hepatitis, diabetes, psoriasis and obesity be barred from marriage because they have very high possibilities of passing their conditions on to any offspring they may have?

Seems like a pretty big double-standard borne entirely out of our own tendency to cling to hateful stereotypes of people we've been taught are "abnormal".

Incest is discouraged for a good reason. That doesn't necesarily make it immoral.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

Rook (Jan 15, 2008)

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly hearing that, just makes me laugh. You love someone, marry them, want tohave a child, and find out that you're related to them because you were twins seperated at birth. I mean honestly what are the chances? That's just hilarious.

"Uhh yeah...we've been trying to have kids...and it's just failing."

"Well...after your tests I think it'd be better if you DON'T have children."

"Why is that?"

"You two are actually twins...apparently seperated at birth."

"......That's.....wow.....crap."

Thats how I depict it. And as for them breaking up their union, to hell with that. They fell in love BEFORE they found this out, hell even if they did know before what's soo wrong ith it morally? Geneticall I can see why but hey, they don't need to spawn a kid. You can always adopt. So bleh on this, I find it funny.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't think they should separate, if they don't find it odd to be together themselfes... It doesn't mean you can't love each other, it just means they SHOULD not have children... nothing good can come out of that... That is probably also why mother nature didn't allow them to have children

Marriadge should not be allowed between relatives, but between relatives who have really been relatives for all the time- that would be just moraly wrong I think, you should difference between family love and love love...

These two people never knew they are brother and sister, so I don't understand why they had to cancel their mariage. Of course it's not good for them to have children, because the child might have physical problems, but I don't see a problem otherways... You can't order love... Also- people have been mixing so much that it might be quite hard to find a person you are not somehow related to anyways. And we all still are human and generaly made in the same way (ya, as tsurara said )

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

First of all, I believe that ALL marriage is wrong. LOL.

Naw, but on a serious note, I don't know what I would do if I found out the woman I loved was my sister. >_< Bratling's family used to joke and say things like, "You better hope her daddy ain't your daddy!" People in public used to think we're brother and sister, saying, "Why are you holding her hand?"

I don't think it's okay to marry a relative--maybe a distant, distant cousin; but not someone in your immediate family. I'm not gonna try to disprove it with science; we already know why scientists say it shouldn't happen. But, I just personally think that family should remain family. People get made fun of for havin' "kissing cousins".

On the other hand, love has no laws or limits. If that's what you wanna do, go for it. To each thier own. That's just not my cup of tea.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    And how is it right to marry anyone? Last I checked, most marry for love: not out of obligation to our species (we can accomplish the latter with just sex). If anything: marriage ITSELF is what's unnatural.

And you haven't addressed the notion that many married couples never have children: either because they can not, don't want to, or have chosen to adopt. Moreover: should people with AIDS, hemophilia, hepatitis, diabetes, psoriasis and obesity be barred from marriage because they have very high possibilities of passing their conditions on to any offspring they may have?

Seems like a pretty big double-standard borne entirely out of our own tendency to cling to hateful stereotypes of people we've been taught are "abnormal".

Incest is discouraged for a good reason. That doesn't necessarily make it immoral.
    Sorry but im going to have to disagree with you. It is very much indeed Immoral. In this society and many others its viewed that way. This comes form religious views, and form a medical standpoint. So being a person raised that way, it's personally wrong to me, and I find it sick. I mean if you cant find a mate that aint your Sister/Brother with 6-billion ppl you got problems.

If this happen to me it would end the relationship, and end with me in therapy. I Just don't believe in a relationship with your sibling in no shape or form.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast