+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martin Luther King Day

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Martin Luther King Day

Wasn't there a point in time when we had today off because it was MLK Day?

Over the past decade or so, I've heard random people tell me that I shouldn't work on MLK Day. That it should be observed as any other national holiday. I've been told to not shop at stores owned by white people, to not buy anything from a white person or even SPEAK to white people on this day.

My question is, what is your opinion of this day? Do you think that MLK was justfied by having a "half-assed holiday" named after him, or do you think that having a day in remembrance is simply enough? Do you believe that Black people should segregate eachother for this ONE day?

I personally think that there are some Black people out there who take this holiday a bit too seriously. Yeah, I think it would be great to have today off! (In fact, 59wayz asked me this morning if I was even working, LOL) It would be cool to know that MLK has a holiday where everything just shuts down; like on Thanksgiving or Memorial Day. But that's not the case.

Let's discuss...

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Martin Luther King Day

i think that it should be like thanksgiving and all the other national holidays because it is in remembrance of the man that helped shape the way the US is today.

I think of this day as a reminder to what the US used to be like and what has become of it.

So yea its important. I say its like the 4th of July.
    cause they are both independence days and MLKD is like the beginning of the blacks being able to become full citizens.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Concerning not associating with White people... I can see where these feelings are coming from, but I just want to point out that segregation of this kind is not what Martin Luther King Jr. was hoping for.

I think having a national holiday celebrated in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. is justifyable. Like P.R. Princes said, this man has shaped America and helped eliminate views that have been part of this country's history for Christ knows how long. If it weren't for him, I probably would've been looked down upon more than I am already. :laughs:

Really, it seems like no one except for really geeky historians truly knows what this man has done, all of his views, and what it was like back then. It seems most of the youth and the general population seem to be more concerned with whether they should go to Vegas or Palm Springs than actually think about the past and history... A shame, really... Making this a major nationalholiday could help knocking in some history into these people.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Otaku BAUTIFULSOUL is off to a good start BAUTIFULSOUL's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Martin Luther King day should be treated as any other important holiday, because it is the one day that kind of represent us black people and how he (MLK) helped white people accept us for who we are not and not to hate us because of our colour.

But i am against the not even talking to white people on that day cause thats just taking us back to how it used to be, which is something i definetly dont want and yes some black people take it a bit too seriously, but i think they take it seriously because they find MLK Day is really important to black people. So i wouldnt be against them when they go a bit over the edge on MLK day.

IF YOU LISTEN CLOSELY, YOU CAN HEAR MY HEART BEATING FOR YOU.
    THIS BEAUTIFUL SIG MADE BY LASURA=D

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Over the past decade or so, I've heard random people tell me that I shouldn't work on MLK Day. That it should be observed as any other national holiday. I've been told to not shop at stores owned by white people, to not buy anything from a white person or even SPEAK to white people on this day.
    Wow, they sure are ****ing up his message he was trying to make. Way to go. This will only make us mad and further separate us.

This is a national holiday folks. All government places are closed, most schools get off here, and there is no mail. Maybe your state just doesn't honor the national Holiday?
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    List of holidays by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States of America
    The United States federal government designates national holidays for federal employees only. State and local governments generally observe these holidays as well as many State Holidays. For a basic list of holidays as seen on a 2008 calendar:

Federal holidays are designated by Congress in Title V of the United States Code (5 U.S.C. § 6103).[1] If a holiday falls on a Saturday it is celebrated the preceding Friday; if a holiday falls on a Sunday it is celebrated the following Monday. Most, but not all states, and most, but not all private businesses also observe a Sunday holiday on the following Monday. It is less common, however, for a state or private business to observe a Saturday holiday on the preceding Friday. Some states and private businesses may observe it then, a few might observe it on Monday, and some might not observe the holiday at all in those years. In particular, banks that close on Saturdays do not observe a holiday when it falls on Saturday.

* January 1 New Year's Day
    * January 21 Martin Luther King Jr. Day (3rd Monday of January, traditionally Jan. 15)
    * February 2 Groundhog Day
    * February 3 Super Bowl Sunday (currently the first Sunday of February)
    * February 6 Ash Wednesday (Christian; moveable based on Easter)
    * February 14 Valentine's Day
    * February 18 Presidents Day (officially Washington's Birthday; 3rd Monday of February, traditionally Feb. 22)
    * March 16 Palm Sunday (Christian; Sunday before Easter)
    * March 17 St. Patrick's Day
    * March 20 Vernal Equinox, Lailatul-Qadr (Islamic; moveable, based on lunar calendar)
    * March 21 Good Friday (Christian; Friday before Easter)
    * March 23 Easter Sunday (Christian; moveable; Sunday after first full moon during spring)
    * March 24 Easter Monday (Christian; Monday after Easter)
    * April 1 April Fool's Day
    * April 20 First day of Passover (Jewish; moveable based on Jewish calendar)
    * April 21 Patriot's Day/Marathon Monday (New England and Wisconsin only) (3rd Monday of April)
    * April 22 Earth Day
    * April 27 Last Day of Passover (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish Calendar)
    * May 5 Cinco De Mayo (Mexican holiday often observed in US)
    * May 11 Mother's Day (2nd Sunday of May), Pentecost Sunday (Jewish; 50 days after Passover)
    * May 26 Memorial Day (last Monday of May)
    * June 14 Flag Day
    * June 15 Father's Day (3rd Sunday of June)
    * June 20 Summer Solstice
    * July 4 Independence Day
    * September 1 Labor Day (first Monday of September)
    * September 2 First day of Ramadan (Islamic)
    * September 22 Autumn Equinox
    * September 30 Rosh Hashanah (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish calendar)
    * October 1 Rosh Hashanah Day 2 (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish calendar)
    * October 2 Eid-al-Fitr/Last day of Ramadan (Islamic, moveable, based on lunar calendar)
    * October 4 Simchat Torah (Jewish; moveable, 22 days after Rosh Hashanah)
    * October 9 Yom Kippur (Jewish, moveable, 9 days after Rosh Hashanah), Leif Erikson Day
    * October 13 Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October)
    * October 14 First day of Sukkot (Jewish; moveable, 14 days after Rosh Hashanaah)
    * October 20 Last Day of Sukkot (Jewish)
    * October 30 Mischief Night
    * October 31 Halloween
    * November 1 All Saints Day, Day of the Dead (Mexico)
    * November 4 Election Day (Tuesday after the first Monday of November)
    * November 11 Veterans Day
    * November 27 Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November)
    * November 28 Black Friday (Friday after Thanksgiving Day)
    * December 5 First day of Hannukkah (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish calendar)
    * December 7 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
    * December 21 Winter Solstice
    * December 22 First day of Hannukkah (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish calendar)
    * December 24 Christmas Eve (Christian)
    * December 25 Christmas Day (Christian)
    * December 26 First day of Kwanzaa (Kwanzaa is celebrated until January 1, 2009)
    * December 29 Last day of Hannukkah (Jewish; moveable, based on Jewish Calendar)
    * December 31 New Year's Eve

Strictly speaking, the United States does not have national holidays (i.e. days where all employees in America receive a day free from work and all business is halted). The U.S. Federal government can only recognize national holidays that pertain to its own employees; it is at the discretion of each state or local jurisdiction to determine official holiday schedules. There are eleven such "Federal holidays" -- ten annual and one quadrennial holiday. The annual Federal holidays are widely observed by state and local governments; however, they may alter the dates of observance or add or subtract holidays according to local custom. Pursuant to the Uniform Holidays Bill of 1968 (taking effect in 1971), some official holidays are observed on a Monday, except for New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. There are also U.S. state holidays particular to individual U.S. states.

In the U.S., most retailers are closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, while they are open all other holidays. Private businesses often observe only the "big six" holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas). Some might also add the Friday after Thanksgiving, or one or more of the other federal holidays.

Most American holidays recognize events or people from U.S. history, although two are shared in common with many other countries: Christmas Day and New Year's Day. For Thanksgiving in the United States, it is on the fourth Thursday in November.

The holiday season in the winter traditionally runs between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, which encompasses the Winter solstice, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa.

Summer traditionally (though unofficially) runs between Memorial Day and Labor Day
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Jan 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    Concerning not associating with White people... I can see where these feelings are coming from, but I just want to point out that segregation of this kind is not what Martin Luther King Jr. was hoping for.

I think having a national holiday celebrated in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. is justifyable. Like P.R. Princes said, this man has shaped America and helped eliminate views that have been part of this country's history for Christ knows how long. If it weren't for him, I probably would've been looked down upon more than I am already. :laughs:

Really, it seems like no one except for really geeky historians truly knows what this man has done, all of his views, and what it was like back then. It seems most of the youth and the general population seem to be more concerned with whether they should go to Vegas or Palm Springs than actually think about the past and history... A shame, really... Making this a major nationalholiday could help knocking in some history into these people.
    You're right! History is very important to our society and MLK helped shape the country in to what it is now. For a group of people to say, "Hey, we're gonna do the exact opposite" on a day for celebrating freedom is stupid. I think that historians should push the importance of the day in to the minds of the uneducated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Wow, they sure are ****ing up his message he was trying to make. Way to go. This will only make us mad and further separate us.

This is a national holiday folks. All government places are closed, most schools get off here, and there is no mail. Maybe your state just doesn't honor the national Holiday?
    I guess not. I know that schools were shut down, but the mail ran and everyone I know--besides my mother who is a teacher--had to work. But I agree with you. MLK did not want us to put ourselves in a position where we had to be segregated. It's pointless to celebrate a holiday if you're not gonna honor the reason it was created.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess not. I know that schools were shut down, but the mail ran and everyone I know--besides my mother who is a teacher--had to work. But I agree with you. MLK did not want us to put ourselves in a position where we had to be segregated. It's pointless to celebrate a holiday if you're not gonna honor the reason it was created.
    I can't believe you got mail. All federal run places like the US post office should have been closed. Like i mentioned in that long post, only federal places are closed. All other businesses determine in they want to be closed are not, and seeing they dont want to lose that almighty dollar they choose to stay open. That is why all the ppl you know are working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I can't believe you got mail. All federal run places like the US post office should have been closed. Like i mentioned in that long post, only federal places are closed. All other businesses determine in they want to be closed are not, and seeing they dont want to lose that almighty dollar they choose to stay open. That is why all the ppl you know are working.
    Yeah, I kinda figured it's on a federal level, but I'm still wondering why I got a bill in the mail yesterday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast