+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meaning or Happiness?

Newbie pablo17 is off to a good start pablo17's Avatar
    Thanks

Meaning or Happiness?

If you had to chose between a life of meaning or a life of happiness, which one would you chose? To further clarify the rules, what if you couldn't have both, and you had to chose between one or the other? This is one of those questions that I often ponder late at night, when I'm alone with my thoughts, memories, and reflections.

For example, let me give you an idea of a life of happiness versus a life of meaning.

Happiness: You meet the boy/girl of your dreams and in them you find your perfect soul mate. Everyone morning you wake up knowing you are loved. Their warm and loving affection makes every problem disappear, because they are a light to your soul. You may not have the most exciting job, and may not be making a huge difference in the world, but you're very happy that you've found the person you've been searching for all your life. The only thing that bothers you is that late at night, you wonder of there's something greater you should be doing.

Meaning: At a very young age, you manage to become a marketing prodigy and make a very large amount of money at a very early stage in your career. While continuing to be a financial genius, you invest in ways to help the world. You cure previously incurable diseases, find ways to greatly decrease world poverty, and the world sees you as a hero. The only problem is, you're afraid to let anyone get close to you because you don't know if they really care about you or if they're just after your wealth and influence. Every night, the last thing on your mind before you drift off to sleep is, "Will I be alone forever?"

So, there you have it. Happiness or Meaning? Which one would you chose and why?
    Hatred is only lost love...

Newbie fellhound001 is off to a good start fellhound001's Avatar
    Phillipsburg,ohio it north west of dayton
    Thanks

Re: Meaning or Happiness?

Meaning because it give you smarts you could make millions or even billion with meaning, i don't care about happiness my life is all that makes me happy.
    PLAYER KILLER

Don't get in my way or I'll kill you!

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

At some point in time everyone has to make those choices. I had made the choice of Happiness over Meaning before in the past. However, Happiness obviously doesn't last forever. Now I'm all for the Meaning.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Newbie LadyJuliaHale is off to a good start LadyJuliaHale's Avatar
    Don't tell me to smile, because I don't know how.
    Thanks

I don't know...I think I'll definitely go for Happiness. Mainly because I'm unhappy right now in my life because I don't have a job or anything that will help me become happy. Happiness definitely sounds more like what I want at this point.
    I'm standing in the dark calling your name, But when you don't answer,
    I realized everyday it's the same.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

What if doing something meaningful is what makes someone happy?

Otaku Vincent has disabled reputation Vincent's Avatar
    Thanks

I would shoot for happiness. Money can't really buy that. Even if I faced finacial troubles, I would have someone right by my side.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

What if doing something meaningful is what makes someone happy?
    Yeah.. not having both just confuses me. (I guess that means I'd live a life of confusion?) A life without meaning would inevitably lead to my unhappiness. And what meaning is there if you can't enjoy (be happy in) your success?
    ... Not Ever Again...

Newbie dorimon is off to a good start dorimon's Avatar
    Thanks

i choose happiness, and maybe that's in some way selfish. i want to always have a reason to smile. but then again, you could consider both selffish in a way. happiness, a whole life of it? seems like too much to pass up. i'm a warm, wants-to-be-loved, loving, happy person who always wants someone my her side whether it's a friend or boyfriend. but if success is what you crave, meaning would be the answer. besides that, meaning means nothing to me without someone to love. money and success are important, but the feeling of happiness overpowers that. . .
    to live alone, is there really any point?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast