+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: media causes.....

Newbie firefly_HotaruChan may be famous one day firefly_HotaruChan may be famous one day firefly_HotaruChan's Avatar
    *looks around* now that you mention it, I'm not sure.
    Thanks

Question media causes.....

We recently discussed this in school. They were claiming the media is the biggest factor in teenage crime/pregnancy/drug abuse/sucide in the US today.

Do you agree with this?

I dont. I believe the problem is not the media. The problem lies within the person. If the person is not mentally stable enough to act on their own without relying on the guidance of movies or song lyrics that is the person's fault....not the singer or actors.

An argument over this topic was that many murderers were avid violent video game players and often listen to ICP and other violent influential music. So many people play these games and have no problems.

The problem lies within the person, but that doesn't mean the media is innocent. The media eggs thier emotionally unstable minds on. ICP and Eminem dont care about this....so they continue with violent lyrics. This continues eroding thier minds until they have no common sense to go on.

The media definitely screws up the minds of teens when it comes to Sex, Drugs, and Suicide. The madia tends to glorify these things, causing teens to believe that they're cool. But, in the end, if the teens are not equipped with the common sense to take these influences in stride then that's not the madias fault.

I'm new at debate. Sorry if this sucked.

everybody...everything....I lost them somewhere....

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: media causes.....

i agree because i have had a few freind's
    that were a few brick's short of a truck load
    to begine with the game or music just helped them
    along over the edge but basicly they were lost sheep
    going by what they interacted with wich is sad.
    but it ultametly there own fault.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Newbie firefly_HotaruChan may be famous one day firefly_HotaruChan may be famous one day firefly_HotaruChan's Avatar
    Thanks

exactly. The viewer/listener ultimately decides what to do with the information they've gathered.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

alright, now let me take this on the other side. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, if you are young, you are impressionable, I don't give a damn who you are. If kids are influenced in a bad way too young, it's going to effect them for life, or at least most of it. The media can come to a child in so many different ways these days, that sometimes not even the parents can do an adequate job of screening it all from them. However, the parents' many focus shouldn't be censoring everything from their kids, but teaching them what's right and wrong. It is a mix of the parents and the media that ultimately effects kids these days...

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    alright, now let me take this on the other side. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, if you are young, you are impressionable, I don't give a damn who you are. If kids are influenced in a bad way too young, it's going to effect them for life, or at least most of it. The media can come to a child in so many different ways these days, that sometimes not even the parents can do an adequate job of screening it all from them. However, the parents' many focus shouldn't be censoring everything from their kids, but teaching them what's right and wrong. It is a mix of the parents and the media that ultimately effects kids these days...
    pretty good summary, couldnt have said it better.

Thanks

Thats very true. CHildren are impressionable and cant help what they see sometimes. But this is mainly focusing on teenagers, who are equipped to choose between right and wrong and are able to sort out the truth from the lies.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

are you trying to say teens aren't young? Teens are just as impressionable, if not more than younger children, again, I don't care who you are. You make the mistake of thinking just because you know more, you can't get a sway of opinion.

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firefly_HotaruChan
    Thats very true. CHildren are impressionable and cant help what they see sometimes. But this is mainly focusing on teenagers, who are equipped to choose between right and wrong and are able to sort out the truth from the lies.
    well, in the case of teens, yes i think the media is a big problem. for example, if they see a actress who is "hot", they will try to lose weight, even if it means throwing up their food. if a boy sees a muscular football player, he wants to be just like him and takes steroids. what the media does for us is shows us what teens think people should look like, act like, etc. and generally teens will go to great lengths to duplicate it. what they dont realise is that every person is an unique individual(see gay marriage thread)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast