+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mom Lets 9yr old Ride NYC Subway Alone - Dubbed "Worlds Worst Mom"

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Mom Lets 9yr old Ride NYC Subway Alone - Dubbed "Worlds Worst Mom"

Bull.
    (article in spoiler tags because its just damn huge)
     click to show spoiler

Well, that's not what I was thinking when I first started reading the article, but then I thought back to my own child hood and started remembering what I did when I was all but the tender age of 5.

I had just learned how to ride a bike with out training wheels, and I'd routinely ride by bike over to my school to play on the playground equipment there. The same school I had to take a school bus too. I just looked up the trip on google maps from my old house to that school and its a 40 minute walk.

Then I remembered that I also grew up on a Military base from the age of 6. If you think growing up in a rural area, or a city is unsafe, try an army base where you can easily get lost in the woods (been there), or worse, wonder on to a firing range (stopped at the barbed wire fence).

Then I remembered when I was 10, we lived in CFB Kingston, and there was a community center, and right next to it was a 20 foot cliff we called "Red Rock". Not fenced off, no nothing. Right next to the Community center where kids play. (circled in red in spoiler tag)

click to show spoiler

There were bike trails that led all through there, and most of them were down hill, so we'd race through them (and during winter, we'd do the same thing on our GT snow racers).

So, in hind sight, I did some crazy, dangerous shit when I was a kid. Did I ever get hurt? Hell yeah I did, couple hundred stitches, two broken legs, two broken arms, broken ribs, internal bleeding, crushed eye socket and cracked cheekbone, all that jazz. Not all at once, mind you, but collectively, over 11 years (that was the last time I hurt myself badly)

But you want to know what? I turned out all right. I learned that Pain and danger are facts of life, and they aren't something we should be completely protected from by our parents (obviously we should protect them from the stuff that could kill them). I learned how to deal with it, and what not to do in the future.

There's an old saying "Spare the rod, spoil the child". Most people read that and think spankings or beatings and the like. But like most everything in this world, its open to interpretation. In this case the Rod is life itself, and parents are spoiling their children by protecting them from it.

My name is Phill Green, and I was a 'Free Range Kid', and I turned out all right.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by aceman67; Jun 21, 2010 at 02:08 AM.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mom Lets 9yr old Ride NYC Subway Alone - Dubbed "Worlds Worst Mom"

I think I have never agreed with you on anything on this forum but I must admit I am on the same page with you on this one. Children need to learn the value of independence and initiative.
    Letting a child ride a subway or ferry alone teaches budgeting and perhaps even basic problem solving. Besides, I look at all the stuff I was doing by age seven and there was seldom a day I came home without a cut or broken bone.

Another issue is integrity. How well do people do without supervision? That is an excellent measure of potential flaws in young children. These days you have people getting older without growing up. In my last job I had to deal with many young people and am alarmed at how immature people, who are by all biological and legal definition adults, can be.

@aceman67. You should to copyright the term "free range kid" because I think that might catch on.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    @aceman67. You should to copyright the term "free range kid" because I think that might catch on.
    The mom in question in the article wrote a book called "Free Range Kids"

Newbie Mittens1987 is off to a good start Mittens1987's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what? I wish my mother had done something of the sort with me.

I grew up very, very, VERY sheltered and I feel the consequences of that in my everyday life now that I am older.

I lack confidence and it's kinda funny, I get these weird spasms of "performance anxiety" when doing normal things, such as ordering food or paying for something.

I think he was not too young; the mother gave him supplies...he was prepared and he himself had been asking to be let go. I am not saying that every mother should let go of their child as soon as the child asks for it...but it seems her and her husband thought it through before acting on it.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The kid will grow up stronger because of it.

~mM ... Curiosity killed the cat... Mm~

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I was seven years old and riding public transit by myself in the big city. Not as big as NYC, but Minneapolis is a pretty hustle and bustle city. I turned out okay. Nobody ever tried to kidnap me or touch me--or my sister. We would have to go to Downtown Minneapolis to pick up meds for my mom when she was ill. We were just fine. My mom even would drop us off at bus stops and have us bus to St. Paul for certain latchkey programs back in the day. We're just fine. I think it all depends on your parent and their reasons for having you just on a bus/train by yourself in the big city. We have a train system now and I just seen a nine year old by on the train by himself earlier this afternoon. I almost had a fit, because I have a son, but then I realized that I woulda been that same kid, had we had trains back then. He didn't ride that far anyway.

My point is that a kid using public transportation by himself can be no different than a kid on a school bus, provided he/she knows the way home. Hell, I got lost on the way home from the school bus when I was four or five, because I got off seven blocks too soon, LOL.

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its fine, when your around 9ish, your pretty self sufficient for the most part. However if the kid gets kidnapped/killed/whatever on the Subway, then she would be viewed as the worlds worst mother. And as a mother she would probably regret it the rest of her life. Not in all cases do the situations turn out fine. Would someone want to take that chance, is being independent more important than being safe?

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Otaku keitamoro is off to a good start keitamoro's Avatar
    Thanks

Seriously you had a rough life aceman67 but I understand your pain cause I've experienced some of the same pains as you and yes having your parent protecting you from pain is a cowardly way to face life due to the fact that everyone has experienced pain through many ways I also feel like the 9 year old child who took the subway by himself would be in danger of getting murdered or kidnapped and other serious crimes and having a mom that just thinks you could do something by yourself when you are so young is just the mom that barely cares about you and thinks you are a burden so she leaves you or has something else to do rather then caring about you and your safety.

Thanks

90% of all coddling given to children out of fear of the rest of the world is the fault of the US News Media sensationalizing every bad thing that happens. That is the result of the next 5%, the US woefully weak stance on gun control leading to the highest rate of violent crimes of any country in the world, which leads to an overtaxed and overcrowded penal system which incarcerates rather the rehabilitates, which adds to the problem rather then fixes it.

The last 5%, comes from the truth, the honest biological want to keep the child safe.

The News Media in the states plays on the fears of the masses to make money off advertising during their news programs. Aside from large hit shows that draw ratings, the second largest pay off from advertising comes from people watching the news. And you know what, Sex and Violence sells.

Don't believe me, if you got access to a Canadian television channel where you are, watch a local news broadcast then compare it to your own local station.

You'll see a decided difference.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Mittens1987 (Jun 22, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast