+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mom Lets 9yr old Ride NYC Subway Alone - Dubbed "Worlds Worst Mom"

Newbie Mittens1987 is off to a good start Mittens1987's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mom Lets 9yr old Ride NYC Subway Alone - Dubbed "Worlds Worst Mom"

I agree with you...

Everyone faces dangers the minute we are brought into this world.

As we grow older, we face new (or the same) dangers that we faced as children.

Adult men are targets for mugging, random assault and even rape.

Teenage girls are often targets for kidnap or rape.

College teens often go missing and are often tricked into scams.

The elderly are abused and taken advantage of....

My point is, no matter what stage you are in your life, you will face dangers. This does not prevent us from going forward and facing the day...at least, it should not prevent any of us.

If you think about it, there are plenty of dangerous situations for children in our own homes. Priests, nannys and teachers have been known to take advantage of children in many ways.

I think letting a child take the subway is the least of our worries, in this world today.

The child wanted to be left alone. The mother talked it over with her husband. The mother provided a map and money and coins for a phone. The mother told the child why she was leaving him, in a department store. It's not like she abandoned him on a sketchy street corner, with no warning and no supplies.

Besides, how many cases have we heard of kids getting taken when the parents are only feet away?

"Stuff" happens, even if you are exceptionally careful. Unless you live in a glass dome...and even then, your dome can be shattered

~mM ... Curiosity killed the cat... Mm~

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

How can she be dubbed "world's worst mom" for something so trivial. How could that be worse than growing up in a broken home with a mother who's addicted to crack?

Frigggin' overprotective SUV driving soccer moms...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hassun For This Useful Post:

Abu Dhabi (Jun 27, 2010)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    90% of all coddling given to children out of fear of the rest of the world is the fault of the US News Media sensationalizing every bad thing that happens. That is the result of the next 5%, the US woefully weak stance on gun control leading to the highest rate of violent crimes of any country in the world, which leads to an overtaxed and overcrowded penal system which incarcerates rather the rehabilitates, which adds to the problem rather then fixes it.
    I agree. The media also has a tendency to blame parents for child abduction and homicide. The people to blame for such things are the felons and a lax legal system. But I disagree with the United States having a high violent crime rate of any country. The only way that the US could be one of the highest is if you don't count countries going through civil wars or something comparable to civil war. In some countries "Killing is negotiating."

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

that Mom has a good head on her shoulders, first and foremost.

She knows her child and what's he capable of, which is a HECKUVA lot more than most parents know (i see it first hand, working at an elementary school and all). Plus, she even talked it over with her husband before letting him try it!! how is that not good parenting? he had a bus pass, extra money, quarters, what the hell else does he need? an f-ing gun?

come on U.S. media! you complain about how kids are wrapped up in drugs, video games, and obesity, but you all freak out when a kid takes public transportation!!

and you, Moms! why aren't you raising your children to take care of themselves!? They can wash their own clothes, they can clean their own rooms, and if they're ready, they can take the damn train by themselves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Abu Dhabi For This Useful Post:

HolderOfTheDarkChalice (Jun 27, 2010)

Newbie Coraline is off to a good start Coraline's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I had that kind of mom. 'World's Worst Mom' is for me someone who dumps kids in rooms full of crack, or leaves toddlers out on the sidewalk without supervision while they go buy booze - pretty much all moms in COPS episodes with that theme in mind gets my vote. In that regard, obsessive controlling soccer moms are only about second to stage moms, imho.

lady ninja - resident knitwit

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

the US woefully weak stance on gun control leading to the highest rate of violent crimes of any country in the world, which leads to an overtaxed and overcrowded penal system which incarcerates rather the rehabilitates, which adds to the problem rather then fixes it.
    Don't you ever get tired of just repeating the usual propaganda? Our Judicial system may be seriously broken but your connection between gun laws and crime rates are seriously incorrect especially considering that since the gun ban in DC was overturned crime rates dropped by 25% in only one year (and a 34% drop in murder). The cities in the US with those high rates you keep complaining of are the ones that have had gun control laws (I say had since the Supreme Court just overturned them and now they all have to scramble for legal ways to restrict guns instead of banning them outright).
    Don't believe me, if you got access to a Canadian television channel where you are, watch a local news broadcast then compare it to your own local station.

You'll see a decided difference.
    Yes, that would be because our news isn't censored by our government. Sure we get more crap as a result but we actually get to hear ALL the news and not just what the government PC machines deems appropriate.

On topic: Every kid is different and so is every city. That sort of thing should be the right of any parent to decide for themselves and none of our business.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm...
    I'm not sure actually how I feel about this. I guess I can't say I really care all that much.

I think it's the parents' business how they raise their children.

However, SHE is the one who told everyone about it. Did she expect to be praised? No. She knew what the reaction would be, so she simply cannot complain about what anyone has to say.

That aside, I am not sure if what she did was wrong or right. My parents raised me to be independent, clever, and logical. They taught me how to think for myself in all aspects of life. They certainly did NOT coddle me. I rode my bike all over town and did stuff on my own all the time. I stayed home for the first time when I was about 9-10. I hiked all through the woods all by myself when I was a kid. I grew up in a very small town, so it's much different out here than in New York. I understand what the mom was doing... The kid is fine, so really... who cares at this point? The kid is proud of himself, anyway!

Regardless of how you feel about the about the situation... The simple fact is that boy could have been kidnapped and all manner of horrible things could have happened to him. It's a horrific possibility that the mother doesn't seem to mention. (I didn't see the interview or read her stupid book, mind you.) It's something to be kept in mind whether you are a child or adult out on your own!

On the other side of the coin... Most of the crimes committed against children are from people they know. Family and family friends. I would know: I was the victim of violence when I was a kid... at the hands of someone I had known for over 10 years. *shrug* Someone he loves and trusts could hurt the kid more than strangers on the bus. That's a fact.

It's certainly not my business per say. But I do hope that the mother realizes she needs to also protect and talk to her child about the these things, and not just let him ride the subway home. You don't have to be paranoid, but you need to be aware and protect yourself and your family.

So yeah... See? I'm sort of all over the place on this. It's not a situation that has a wrong or right answer. :S

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Our news isn't censored by our government. Our populous wouldn't stand for it. I'm offended that you would say that, and I ask for proof of your claim. We don't sensationalize bad news. Every time I watch CNN I see stuff like "Are Escalators safe? Tune in to our special on "Stairway to death". The US Media empire is based on fear to boost ratings and earn money. Don't confuse censorship with journalistic integrity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast