+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music and Originality

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Music and Originality

I've probably complained about this several times in different posts, but I want to see what you guys think.

Am I the only one who thinks that people are running out of good lyrics to write when they're makin' new music? Every rap song is about drikin', big rims, super-soakin' ho's, money, makin' it rain and bitin' lyrics and other music from other rappers/artists. Every rock song, these days, is about drinkin', how much someone hates his/her parents, how bad it hurt when a guy's girl left him all those years ago, anti-establishment propoganda (News flash: The establishment paid those guys), etc. R&B kinda faded away. It's now rap music. You can't hear a single song sung by an R&B artist without hearing a rapper behind them.

All the good music with a sense of originality--intellectual property--you never really get to hear, unless you know someone with a massive collection of indie music. Other than that, all music on the radio is the same to me now (unless it was made in the 90's). For example, here's Godsmack: *guitar riffs* "Go away!!" *more guitar* "Don't touch me!!" *guitar* "Get Back!!" *guitar solo* "Go away!!!" (You gotta be there when my friend Phat Phabulous does it while playing his guitar!)

I feel like everything on the radio is so recycled! It's like the movies, you can't go anywhere without seeing a remake of an old classic or hearing a cover song. Am I the only one who's sick of hearing the same crap on the radio every day? What do you think about music currently? If you believe my opinion to be wrong, why?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomik_sprout For This Useful Post:

Sneakyarrow (Oct 14, 2008)

Otaku Sneakyarrow is off to a good start Sneakyarrow's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Music and Originality

I agree completely. It is the main reason I don't/can't listen to rap. While I do like some of the more recent rock songs, it is mainly for their beat. I will admit, it is kind of hard to make something original after decades of music-making. Still, I do agree that they could try to come up with something less offensive to the general populace and something more positive.

Est Sularis oth Mithas
    Going home soon.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

That is why I turned my radio off. There is still good music being made but most of it can't be found there nor is it "popular" at this time.

BRING BACK HAPPY SONGS!!!

What do I mean? The same thing you do. All the popular music these days sing about is little narrow subjects and so if you listen to it you drown in depression and negativity. When was the last time you heard on honest to goodness love song, or a happy everything is good with the world song, or just an I love this place/sport/anything but a party song? If you are going to really enjoy something you need variety or it all just bleeends together and becomes meaningless.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

music is a business, just like everything else, artists these days know that you can crank out a catchy tune, you can be rich. The main-mainstream stuff should only be the front door to any given band. Any band that was heavily influenced by pioneers of the genre are just riding that genre out, and pioneers can't just be around all the time.

We produce a greater variety of music these days than in the past, think about it. classical times, some scales were considered a sin. People played old old country songs, sang drinking tunes, sang church hymnals. Classical symphonies that played in great dancing halls. What do we have now? The old genres are still there, but of course you're not going to find them on the radio, the radio is trying to keep us clued in on today's hits, radio is based off popular demand and highly regional, to expect any given radio station to play a wide variety of genres is simply unfair. They'd go out of business in a heartbeat.

You have to look, that's all there is to it. The happy songs are still there, someone somewhere is working on the next big breakthrough. But listeners, we've got to be patient. Pioneers don't just pop out whenever we want something completely different from anything we've ever heard before. I think we take for granted just how much variety we truly have but simply refuse to look for. We complain that today's music sucks, the topics are narrow and tired, but we never try to find our own music, we expect current artists to just come up with something. I've found that usually they already have, I just have yet to hear it.

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

This is exactly why i either listen to songs from different countries, or to underground/hard to categorize artists.

I prefer artists who make a story in their songs, and if they can make it funny, or thought provoking at the same time, then good for them! Granted i do like some of the rock songs of this day and age, but really there is only a few types i listen to.
    Why hello there!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    The old genres are still there, but of course you're not going to find them on the radio, the radio is trying to keep us clued in on today's hits, radio is based off popular demand and highly regional,
    ..and subjective to what the owner believes will get him sponsors and money. That is why I listen to web radio where I can pick what style of music I want to listen to at the moment instead of someone else's ideal. Occasionally I even find someone new to buy music from. That doesn't change the fact that I have even heard a music industry leader come right out and say that the music now isn't as good as it used to be, that it is hard for current pop artists to carry that kind of quality off, and he was only speaking of a difference of a few decades.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

It's becoming all the same. Practically all rap music I have heard for years now is the same which is why I don't care much for it to begin with, it's the same thing with a different beat but over all it's the exact same thing. Rock has a larger selection to pick from how ever they are mostly focusing on negative, angry, depressed, and anti everything music... Which is called "angry music" by my aunt and I agree with her on that. I have become very picky on who and what I listen to now. My bands of choice are Disturbed, Avenged, Korn, and God Smack. Now all of these bands share very similar jonra of music namely metal, HOW EVER they also throw in different songs that you wouldn’t expect bands like them to play, like Avenged Sevenfold's "Unbound" which is actually a very positive song, or Disturbed's "Curse", God Smacks "Serenity" and believe it or not Korn has a few positive ones as well. Now if some one can bring out a possitive rock and metal songs which several bands I have listen to are very capable of, I would try to get my hands on those ASAP, not just because it's a more possitive persona, but would also be different and a change of pace.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you arrianna, again the business aspect of music is shown prodominately through the radio, I guess what I'm getting at is that whenever people complain about how 'it ain't as good as the good old days,' I have ask why they don't search deeper for something that they like. And if you do find artists that you like without the assistance of radio, what are you complaining about? No one's forcing you to listen to copy/paste mainstream music, we have satellite radio, USB jacks for mp3 players in cars, CDs, I mean unless you go to the club all the time and think to yourself, 'man these tracks are lame,' I don't see why people bad mouth music that they never had to listen to in the first place.

I also think people generalize way too much when it comes to rap music. Clean, good rap exists, you might not find it on the radio, but it is out there. It saddens me that the ghetto rappers make all the other rappers look bad, I guess.

Maybe it's easier for me to say all this because I honestly could care less about the lyrics of some genres. Because let's face it, in a lot of genres of music, the message in the lyrics does not have to be all that important or relevant. I can scarcely understand what fast rappers are saying, I can't make out words when a death metal band is growling, for some genres the insturmental part is simply more important than the lyrics. Why does this have to be a bad thing? Hip-hop's name practically defines what you do when you listen to hip-hop songs, you dance! People don't care about messages when they're dancing, they care about the beat and rhymn. Same with most metal, vocals are often just icing on the cake, the point of metal in concert is to thrash around acting crazy, having a good time. Music with messages still exist, you just have to find them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast