Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The "N" word!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

The "N" word!

Ok, I wanna talk about the "N" word. and Im going to try not to type the word in its entirety (using astrisks to repalce the g's), in order to be respectfull. However, for those who don't know what I mean when I say "N" word"... I am posting a wikipedia link (which does have the full out word in it):
    Nigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the "N" word has been used as a racial slur. Esspecially during civil war times, it was commonly used as a derogatory word to reffer to an African American.

Now, The word has been incorporated in to slang terms. Removing the "er" from the end of the word, and replacing it with an "a". The word "Ni**a" has become a part of African American tradition of sorts. To use this word, in its slang form, is fully acceptable among many (NOT ALL) African Americans. But- If the word is used by someone outside the African American culture, it is still considered to be offensive.
    What do you think about that?

I have many opinions on the matter, which hopefully I can add in as the thread evolves.

I will say this..
    This is my father, (holding my youngest son):

He frequently used the "slang" version of the "N" word in my child rearing.

This is me:

I have very pale skin. Long, mostly straight hair. And....
    I feel if I want to use the slang term of the "N" word. Thats my perogative. I view it as profanity. And I have mouth like a sailor at times. However, because of the way I look. I've turned many heads when saying the word around people who dont know my background.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Aug 03, 2007 at 04:15 AM. Reason: E for entire
    ... Not Ever Again...

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The "N" word!

I don't think the n word is acceptable to be said at any time by anyone honestly... its being used to much and I think it should stop. I mean why would you say a word that you tried to fight so much to not be said? I think the word is hateful and downs the African American race; alot of young African Americans are using the word now and days too much... its a regular word like hi. I mean is it too much to ask to stop using the n word?

I honestly wonder why African Americans say such a word to their own race...

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I don't think the n word is acceptable to be said at any time by anyone honestly... its being used to much and I think it should stop. I mean why would you say a word that you tried to fight so much to not be said? I think the word is hateful and downs the African American race; alot of young African Americans are using the word now and days too much... its a regular word like hi. I mean is it too much to ask to stop using the n word?

For the most part, I agree with you.

However, for me, (and I speak only for myself) the word is like profanity. If I were to walk around constantly saying the "F" word. I would sound pretty stupid. Im not sure how saying that would depict my culture, but at the very least I know I'd make myself look bad.

But at 24, if I feel compelled to drop the "F" bomb, I will.
    Same with the "N" word.
    I know I could make better choices, but sometimes... I don't.

Besides, the "N" word was something I was raised around, it became a part of my vocabulary at an early age.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Besides, the "N" word was something I was raised around, it became a part of my vocabulary at an early age.
    And theres the problem... why would you go tossing the n word around a small child so that the child can pick it up and think " hey you know if the adults are using the word so much it shouldn't be a bad word right? "

Like I said people are tossing the word around so much that it has become something that it shouldn't be.

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Thanks

And theres the problem... why would you go tossing the n word around a small child so that the child can pick it up and think " hey you know if the adults are using the word so much it shouldn't be a bad word right? "

Like I said people are tossing the word around so much that it has become something that it shouldn't be.
    My parents both had a colorful vocabulary. They tossed around alot of words. (And getting a dose of profanity is as easy as turning on the T.V.) But, I was always told which words were "the bad words". I was told I couldn't say them.
    I can promise you, in the neighborhood I grew up in... I would have heard the "N" word regardless.

I know its history. I know what it means. I know how it could affect people.
    .... and sometimes... I still say it. My choice, as an adult.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Eh, the N word huh?

Hmm, where do I stand on that? Umm, I don't really care either way, unless it is used in a seriously negative racial comment, statements, insult, and the such. Of course this applies to anything, because I don't care much for being that serious in life.

N word though huh? "Shrug" doesn't do much for me or to me. I don't use it really, but I will if a point is being made or an intelligent debate/conversation is being held. whether or not I am in the presence of a black person won't keep me sheltered. I know the invisible line that exists in certain communities and cultures, states, cities, you name it, and I abide by such standards.

But considering profanity around children to such an extent that it is pretty likely that they will pick it up, doesn't stand with me. Most porfanity just shows a lack of intelligence, and if you use it a great deal around your children, you drop a few notches further. My opinion anyways. Since children are considered a sponge, why start habits at that young an age? My cousin's kid just overcame his habit of saying F word, but that was after a yr half run.

Oh yeah, referring to words as a specific statement for only certain cultures or racists is pretty ridiculous. Of course a race war can go on about it but why bother? For example, if a black person were to use the N word, I have no problem using it either and that is the way it should be in my eyes. If it will just be considered profanity, so be it. I will treat it the same as any other, no exceptions.

I don't care who you are really, and I stand by my actions without regret. Hell, to be honest, just about every black friend or person I have come across has more than a dozen times told me flat out to say it with passion.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you, don't get it either. I mean why use a word so lightly your race hated for so long. You don't see me talking with my friends and family and going, "Hey cracker how ya doing", or "hey Honky how your day going". If this word is this offensive to African Americans, they shouldn't want anyone to say it. Shouldn't matter if it said outside the race or not. It just shows utter disrespect to those who fought to get that word to not be used anymore.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I agree with you, don't get it either. I mean why use a word so lightly your race hated for so long. You don't see me talking with my friends and family and going, "Hey cracker how ya doing", or "hey Honky how your day going". If this word is this offensive to African Americans, they shouldn't want anyone to say it. Shouldn't matter if it said outside the race or not. It just shows utter disrespect to those who fought to get that word to not be used anymore.
    Well, from what I have interpreted from the countless movies I have seen in my life, the N word has been passed down generation to generation in a attempt not to forget. Probably foreseen in the Civil War, after a hundred yrs or so, the word would evolve into something we other races could pass down to our future generations through sitcoms, lifetime flicks, and other television shows.

Never forgetting, acknowledging with amusement after hearing hundreds of comedians referring to the exact same subject again and again, waiting for the day it would soon just become an enjoyable memory.

"Remember that time when the "N" word was passed from tongue to tongue as though it were meaningless profanity?," said the farmer to the lawyer. Together they laugh and laugh.

Yeah, just about what I interpreted, and just about how it is considered today. Some are pissed that it is in use by those who were once referred to as, others don't care, others question why they have to keep quiet even when their ancestors came directly from Ireland or Vietnam.

Funny how life is.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast