+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Net Neutrality

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Net Neutrality

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But is this anything really new??? Comcast cable channels are limited to Comcast subscribers. AT&T IPTV service is limited to AT&T subscribers. And media providers have already extended subscription requirements to satellite dish owners. AOL has been trying to restrict access to its Instant messaging network to AOL subscribers for years now...
    It's not really new but it's not a full realization yet. Would you really not care if 80% of the internet was inaccessable to you? Of course we need ISPs to connect to the internet but that is where the line should be drawn. It is really f-cked up that by 2006 8.6 million homes should of had a fiber optic network but didn't because Internet Service providers went back on what they promised in '96 and kept profit revenue from services that should of been practically free anyway.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now 15 years ago, people were saying the same thing about 'free' TV when HBO started scrambling their signals so that only authorized decoder boxes can view the video. Now with TV, over 80% of what available is only viewable on subscription cable service, yet very few people complain about this. (They do complain about 500 channels with nothing to watch, but thats a different issue) 'Free' high definition TV still exists, (all you need is that digital TV tuner to tap into that digital streaming content, but there is still all those embedded commercials in the video stream...) Cable exclusive shows and channels exists because people are willing to pay good money for them, and the restricted size of their niche audience, and the restrictions of broadcast censorship standards make them impracticable for 'free' TV broadcast. Its easy to see this model being extended for premium network (but not open Internet) access.

As i pointed out before, the costs for upgrading the connections for gigabit broadband access are huge. And with funding shortfalls in local, state, and federal budgets, its unlikely that government will pick up the ball on this. Subscription based service fees appear to be the only solution for funding the required infrastructure upgrade. So it appears that the only choices for gigabit service access is paid subscription service, or none at all. If a broadband media provider thinks they can make money by restricting themselves to single broadband service provider, I say go for it, and let them have their chance...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

As far as I know internet was never very free or neutral in the first place.
    Imagine there being a war between the USA and Europe or China at some point. Most of the servers supporting the internet's data are in the USA as far as I know. I think they'd lock it down in a New York minute.

I think the possibilities of controlling the content on the internet have always been there. Like many projects, it probably started out with the romantic idea of complete internet neutrality but as soon as people realised that there was incredible financial potential they've been chipping away at it non-stop.

P.S. KenX, long time no see man. How you been?

Thanks

Well Of course there is a lot of business driven by websites being bought and sold as well as huge profit sites that stimulate economic growth such as Ebay, Amazon and the like. Sites like these will always be a huge part of electronic business, not to mention it provides jobs. I work for an online company so I know how it is.

But still you gotta think about this and answer:

If there is no more net Neutrality, How would you feel if Sites were restricted? What if Google was an AT&T Exclusive feature? or if Ebay was only available to Verizon users?

Of course it would be sort of bad business for the sites and I'm sure they'd lose on some money, but the way things are sounding It is more than possible that this could be a real thing of the future.

Hassun: Been great man it's just that time again to make my yearly rounds on old sites.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

On the other hand, how would you feel if Big Internet sites such as Google, MSN, Yahoo, and Amazon got a free ride for gigabit access to the home, and avoid contributing to the cost of the network infrastructure. Do you think that the cable and phone companies are going to make the necessary Billion Dollar network upgrade for free... (Gee, I would like to own a business where someone else pays for the operations overhead...) If these highly profitable companies refuse to contribute to the cost of the infrastructure, whom do you think will end up paying for the gigabit connection (That's right, the CONSUMER!!!).
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jun 11, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

To restrict particular sites depending on the provider is a bit of a bitch since most countries have multiple providers. Creating a bit of a mess when you look at it globally.
    In the end it will depend on how good we can protect ourselves against monopolies. Especially when it comes to information. E.g. Imagine News Corp being the only news provider available.
    In an age where information is power that would be a dire situation indeed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    If these highly profitable companies refuse to contribute to the cost of the infrastructure, whom do you think will end up paying for the gigabit connection (That's right, the CONSUMER!!!).
    But the point is the consumer is going to have to pay extra for the new infrastructure ANYWAY. ISPs will be offering the faster internet and more content (ISP exclusive sites for example) but it will still be a seperate package that will only be available if you update your internet package for more money.

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX View Post
    But the point is the consumer is going to have to pay extra for the new infrastructure ANYWAY. ISPs will be offering the faster internet and more content (ISP exclusive sites for example) but it will still be a seperate package that will only be available if you update your internet package for more money.
    Actually, this is the entire crux of the dispute. Should the end consumer pay the ENTIRE costs of the upgraded infrastructure, or should the costs be SHARED with businesses that profit from the improved broadband infrastructure... And this doesn't have to result in broadband provider specific enterprises. (Just like Cartoon Network, which was originally specific to Time/Warner cable networks is now available to other cable network providers)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2