+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Stadium or Better Schools??

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Stadium or Better Schools??

Well first of all the Twins sucks anyways, so they don't deserve a new stadium. Just kidding btw. But I really don't think that it is the Twins' fault that your education system is continuing to fail. I mean, even if the Twins stay in Metrodome (is that it?) your education system will not pick up itself.

You guys are pretty much f-ed. Voters can choose not to help them build a new stadium, but if the owner decides to pull out and move the team you guys are going to lose out even more (jobs, money, and chances to host concerts). Adding to what LenMiyata said, I'm from San Francisco and glad they are moving the team. There were so many upsides with a new stadium but the people here are so cheap. As a result the team will be moving 40 miles away bringing along the job and business that were once near the stadium.

In my opinion, it has more upside for education if there's a new stadium over the long run. The biggest problem is most mayoral terms aren't that long, so most mayors don't care about building up for the next person, they just want to save their own ass and not look bad during their term.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Well first of all the Twins sucks anyways, so they don't deserve a new stadium. Just kidding btw. But I really don't think that it is the Twins' fault that your education system is continuing to fail. I mean, even if the Twins stay in Metrodome (is that it?) your education system will not pick up itself.

You guys are pretty much f-ed. Voters can choose not to help them build a new stadium, but if the owner decides to pull out and move the team you guys are going to lose out even more (jobs, money, and chances to host concerts). Adding to what LenMiyata said, I'm from San Francisco and glad they are moving the team. There were so many upsides with a new stadium but the people here are so cheap. As a result the team will be moving 40 miles away bringing along the job and business that were once near the stadium.

In my opinion, it has more upside for education if there's a new stadium over the long run. The biggest problem is most mayoral terms aren't that long, so most mayors don't care about building up for the next person, they just want to save their own ass and not look bad during their term.
    Well, first of all, I'm not worried about concerts. We've got THREE STADIUMS ALREADY! And all the good shows are usually in Apple River, Wisconsin anyway.

And yes, we COULD get more money out of the deal for our state. But this is a Republican state. They don't give an F about the kids--excuse my school pun--otherwise, we wouldn't have lost six to seven schools over the past two years. Not to mention the fact that the new stadium won't be completed until 2010. Which means that our money--loot that could go towards our educational system or even A NEW BRIDGE FOR 35W--is goin' down the toilet.

The Twins are good, but not that good. When they play at the Metrodome, the place never gets full--let alone half full--so why a new stadium? Becuase the Vikings won't share?? They've been sharing that damn arena since I've been alive... Since BEFORE then!! When I was seven, you could've brought up a new stadium for the Twins, and I'd probably poop myself in excitement. But that's when the 'Dome was so packed you couldn't sit down half the time (especially when we made it to the World Series). But now? When our kids get way worse than what we got in school? Hell to the no!

Put our schools back! Give our teachers money! Quit making us buy handsoap!! (No lie, one of my co-workers just told me today that she's got a list of stuff she has to buy for her kid's school shopping and the school said she had to buy tissue and hand soap... What? Our schools can't afford soap???) If you're gonna close down schools, close down the ones with too much money on thier hands. None of the suburban schools are affected by this; it's just the inner-city schools.

They're basically saying, "Who cares if the colored people learn or not?"

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

If they could prove that it'd b beneficial ta the educational system, then I'd agree wit LenMiyata and Legend, but only if. My ques. is, where's all the money gonna come from? I mean, long term, yeah; maybe it may prove beneficial, but what 'bout short term? They're probably gonna have ta make cuts somewhere jus' ta build that stadium. If their educational fundin' is in trouble, then that means that the funds for housin', city maintenance, etc. r probably in trouble too. So how r they gonna get the money? Cuts r gonna have ta happen somewhere and usually the educational programs r one of the firsts on the choppin' block. That's jus' plain wrong! Can' they do somethin' different? Like have a fundraiser or somethin'? If they want the stadium that badly, I sure that there r other methods of raisin' the funds other than always makin' cuts.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    If they could prove that it'd b beneficial ta the educational system, then I'd agree wit LenMiyata and Legend, but only if. My ques. is, where's all the money gonna come from? I mean, long term, yeah; maybe it may prove beneficial, but what 'bout short term? They're probably gonna have ta make cuts somewhere jus' ta build that stadium. If their educational fundin' is in trouble, then that means that the funds for housin', city maintenance, etc. r probably in trouble too. So how r they gonna get the money? Cuts r gonna have ta happen somewhere and usually the educational programs r one of the firsts on the choppin' block. That's jus' plain wrong! Can' they do somethin' different? Like have a fundraiser or somethin'? If they want the stadium that badly, I sure that there r other methods of raisin' the funds other than always makin' cuts.
    Yes there are. The San Francisco baseball park was funded entirely by the owner himself. We were really lucky when the owner decided against moving the team to another city. Now the area around the still-new stadium is crazy with business, tourists, and of course more traffic.

@atomik: When I said concerts, that was just one of the many examples. What I was really refering to is the chance for different events (concerts, conventions, sports events) all of which would bring in money. Ultimately, I know you would feel very strong about this issue, because you are part of a party that is directly affected. But you cannot solely blame it on the stadium. Unfortunately the poor (as Robin Williams said in one movie) has no representation, so all I can say is it is the way it is.

In my opinion, the public school systems all over the country is failing. Pumping more money into it would NOT help. I've attended one of the worse high schools in my city, and being lucky enough to make it out alive (being serious) I am hoping the city does not give these schools anymore money. Those kids can't be helped and giving the schools more money is basically putting money into a shredder.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    In my opinion, the public school systems all over the country is failing. Pumping more money into it would NOT help. I've attended one of the worse high schools in my city, and being lucky enough to make it out alive (being serious) I am hoping the city does not give these schools anymore money. Those kids can't be helped and giving the schools more money is basically putting money into a shredder.
    It would help! Alot, actually. Here in Minnesota, in most cases the schools with the money have the higher graduation rate, they have better classes, they have MORE classes, thier teachers get paid well--which means they have a source of motivation to keep these kids learning--and NO CLASSES GET PULLED.

The only sucky part is that when it comes to be budget time, the inner-city schools get the shaft. None of the schools outside of Minneapolis/St.Paul ever get affected. It's just the "poor, ghetto kids" who get the short end of the stick. I should know! I grew up in "poor ghetto schools" my entire life! I know what goes down in our schools. I used to work for the very same "ghetto" school district. You're just thinking that since they're "bad" kids they can't be helped. It's not really a matter of the kids behavior. It's a matter of parenting and prioritizing when it comes to what the state decides to spend it's money on.

And to prove my point, I'm going all over the North side of Minneapolis and I'm starting a petition against the new Twins stadium. I'll show the government that inner-city parents DO care, and that our schools deserve the good things before anything else. Children should ALWAYS be put first!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    That's the funny part. The last time we had more school buildings than we did children to fill those schools, I was in the fifth grade. That was like 17 years ago!

Yet another reminder of your youth fading.

Anyway. Being a resident of Minnesota.. I have this to say.

We cant even maintain a stable bridge to commute to a new stadium!

We really need to focus on the education of the kids here. Opening more schools so they can spread out a bit. Y'know... not have more than 20 kids to a teacher. We all know, with all the ADD, and ADHD... and what have you.. Kids need all the attention thay can get.

Besides the kids'll be building the bridges of the future.

Perhaps I shouldn't post after the meds kick in....
    ... Not Ever Again...

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

It would help! Alot, actually. Here in Minnesota, in most cases the schools with the money have the higher graduation rate, they have better classes, they have MORE classes, thier teachers get paid well--which means they have a source of motivation to keep these kids learning--and NO CLASSES GET PULLED.

The only sucky part is that when it comes to be budget time, the inner-city schools get the shaft. None of the schools outside of Minneapolis/St.Paul ever get affected. It's just the "poor, ghetto kids" who get the short end of the stick. I should know! I grew up in "poor ghetto schools" my entire life! I know what goes down in our schools. I used to work for the very same "ghetto" school district. You're just thinking that since they're "bad" kids they can't be helped. It's not really a matter of the kids behavior. It's a matter of parenting and prioritizing when it comes to what the state decides to spend it's money on.

And to prove my point, I'm going all over the North side of Minneapolis and I'm starting a petition against the new Twins stadium. I'll show the government that inner-city parents DO care, and that our schools deserve the good things before anything else. Children should ALWAYS be put first!
    So far, I agree wit u atomik, like I said 'fore; whenever a city or state wants somethin', like a stadium, the educational system is the first on the choppin' block. Evry1, and I mean evry1, has the right ta an education, free and unbias. Yet, I've seen it time and again that this is often not the case. We should never give up on the kids of this country, if a school seems problematic, then the city or state should find out what it is that they can do 'bout it. And if pumpin' more money inta the school will help, then that avenue should b taken. Maybe buildin' a stadium will help the economy enough ta help wit the educational system, but our most immediate needs haveta come first; and that's our education. That means that if I had ta choose btwn buildin' a stadium or buildin' a school, the school would come first. The stadium can wait, our education can not.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Thanks

I would have to disagree with you there atomik. I believe that no school will get shafted right out of the gate. Why do certain schools get less money?? Two things, performances and attendance. And I am pretty sure that inner-city school teachers are NOT getting less than their other counterparts. Do you think the NAACP or the teachers' union will just sit there and them underpay inner city teachers?? That is asking for trouble.

Back to what I was saying before, pumping money into schools are not the solution and I do not want my tax dollars to go to a school that is not going to perform. I am not being discriminatory toward inner city kids, but it is generally them that are not getting the job done. Just to add a little credibility to what I am saying I went to a middle and a high school that was attended by a inner city kids.

You can always allude the behavior in middle school to immaturity, but for the same actions to be done in high school is unacceptable. Furthermore, when I first got into my high schools, it was one of the better ones. We had a lot going for us and great teachers. Along the years, the good teachers leave for better schools or have quit the teaching profession altogether. Most of these kids are not "Can't be helped", but they don't want to be helped.

We can pump the same amount of money we are spending on the war right now on schools and I can guarantee it still won't work. How can these students be motivated if they aren't even in class??

Though I admired that you are going to take action atomik, if every city's inner city district has a few more people like you, then there probably won't be "ghettos" at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2