Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: no religions? = a better world?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: no religions? = a better world?

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I'm not responsible for your lack of knowledge. Most people don't practice what they preach the same goes for religions.
    Wouldn't that just prove that it is not the religion but the people at fault however? The problem is not stability of the religion but the instability of humanity. A lack of religion also rather seems to amplify that condition since it removes outside constraints on morality.

.. I'm never to far away.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Wouldn't that just prove that it is not the religion but the people at fault however? The problem is not stability of the religion but the instability of humanity. A lack of religion also rather seems to amplify that condition since it removes outside constraints on morality.

.. I'm never to far away.
    People are using the religion to do wrong. It's kinda like having a gun in the house and you get angry and you shoot your husband. It's not the guns fault you shot your husband but it's a tool you used to do it. I don't really care about that kid's argument about stability. Morality can and does exist without religion.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Morality can and does exist without religion.
    It can, yes, but without the imposition of an outside standard there is also the creation of leeway in the form of moral equivalency. If all morals become equal who says what is right and wrong? The ones who make the laws? To me that is a very scary thing considering that laws are created by whoever has the most power.

In RPG's this attitude is called Chaotic Neutral.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Wouldn't that just prove that it is not the religion but the people at fault however?
    Aah, but non-believers would say that religion was created by people.
    That would make it as inherently flawed as the people.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

The majority of religions preach kindness to one another, and it's the general basis of them. If you had to break down most religions into a single meaning, it would probably be "be nice to each other." But, religion has been used as a tool to achieve power, and has been abused many times over.

Europe owes its history to the church, as it established power rights throughout the countries. Depending on what religion the government of a country chose as its official religion, it could increase the power of the country through alliances.

The political sector of the Roman Catholic Church used to be extremely corrupt back in the middle ages. Now, that's not saying that the religion itself is corrupt. The crusades cost many lives, hidden under the guise of a war of religion.

The reason for the crusades was that Europe had come to a peaceful time, which is a rarity in history. There were no major wars going on, which meant soldiers weren't fighting. Tension was starting to build up, and the Catholic church knew that if they didn't do something, some more wars were going to happen on European turf. So what did the Pope do? He said that everyone should go reclaim the holy land, which meant the majority of soldiers were shipped over to the east, thus making sure no major wars broke out in Europe.

The plan was twofold: #1: It stopped european countries from fighting one another, and #2: It secured more power for the church, as they now had increased land, and controlled the holy land.

It was an obvious abuse of the religion, because the church decreed that fighting over in the middle east would be considered an act of penance by the church. They sanctioned killing others as a means of restoring ones religious rights. But, read the bible, and it immediately says "thou shalt not kill." Plain and simple.

"Purgatory" was created by the church to explain what happened to children who died during birth, or people who died without being baptized. The common belief at the time was if you died without being baptized, you'd immediately go to hell. That seemed pretty harsh, especially when the mortality rate of children was extremely high. So the church created purgatory, in between heaven and hell, where people would go after death for a certain period of time before being let into heaven.

Buuut the church decided to use this for their own means, and if you paid the church extra money, they would guarantee you less time in purgatory, or less time for a deceased family member. Technically they made purgatory into a form of blackmail.

But despite the higher ups being corrupt at the time, the main fundamentals of religion are simply to be a good person. During times people have used religion to gain power, and it has been used as an excuse for wars. But that is not the religion itself.

I don't think the world would be better without religion. Wars would have happened anyways, but people just used and abused religion to secure power.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    "Purgatory" was created by the church to explain what happened to children who died during birth, or people who died without being baptized. The common belief at the time was if you died without being baptized, you'd immediately go to hell. That seemed pretty harsh, especially when the mortality rate of children was extremely high. So the church created purgatory, in between heaven and hell, where people would go after death for a certain period of time before being let into heaven.

Buuut the church decided to use this for their own means, and if you paid the church extra money, they would guarantee you less time in purgatory, or less time for a deceased family member. Technically they made purgatory into a form of blackmail.
    It is widely known (at least I hope it is) that the Indulgence is one of the biggest frauds in Catholic history.

But despite the higher ups being corrupt at the time, the main fundamentals of religion are simply to be a good person. During times people have used religion to gain power, and it has been used as an excuse for wars. But that is not the religion itself.
    It's hard to call the Catholic Church of that time corrupt. It certainly was by today's standards but back in those days the pope was something like a king (or better yet, emperor), immensely powerful and with real armies at his disposal. It's almost incomparable to the pope's power today.

Otaku Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion tammyemily303308 may be famous one day tammyemily303308 may be famous one day tammyemily303308's Avatar
    Thanks

well i have a religion so i don't know what to say actully but if there were no religions we might actully be the same in some ways also religions help us know what we are and what we belive and it also shows that we are different cause of our religion if u didn't have religions we wouldn't have some belifs and most of all we wouln't know what thing that we could or should belive or what we should know. religions play a big role in our lives i really have to say. some religions actully tell us why we are here in this world. my religion,Christianity, tells me a lot of what and why other religons are here or what they do. religions gives us a choice and a special thing that we can belive and thats the most important thing that religions give us

Temari: Naruto's own Wind Charmer.

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that religion is only good at the old ages from probley 1843 and under i guess, where technology aren't that *wide, and when people think that the world is flat, or everything goes around the earth, i think it suits that time, but if they aren't any religion, maybe our tech might be a little higher, but the good thing is now no one really cares about what you say, about religion, if you go to the mall and talk about religion, people might say you are stuiped, but if you say the same thing at 1843, people might beat you up, so i think that now religion believers are less and less since we have discovered so many stuff, and religion should be at a age 40 and up because then you will have more free time, and you think much differently when you were let say my age 14.but anyways its really your choice, sometimes religion is good if you are lost in this world, but i don't think its good when you are comparing religion, and i think that we should respect on what others believe instead of making fun of them like at the old ages.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast