Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: no religions? = a better world?

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: no religions? = a better world?

Religions are used to answer the infinite mysteries.I guess if there was no religion,there will be no such things as morals and beliefs about the "gods"which are responsible for creation for that is the purpose of some religions.Why do some people want to destroy the world and others wish to preserve it through acts of "justice"?Science cannot answer that for science does not use morals but is based on knowledge.Based on what i said,i believe that with religion,there is such thing as a "better"world.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think religions are the end-all be-all of morals. I'm sure that if there were no religions, we'd still have morals, there just wouldn't be a belief system based on deities.

Here's where there's a bit of a problem though, because if we take christian beliefs about creation into account, we were created by God (I'm not sure what the other creation beliefs are of other religions).

But looking at it from an evolution perspective, all animals interact with one another to survive. Some animals are social beings, creating groups that interact with one another, such as humans. The main point of life (from evolution standpoint) is to procreate and continue the species. If an animal is a social being, the groups work out certain ways to behave in order to insure the continuation of the group. Hunting methods, feeding methods, behavioural methods, all of these are built by the animals in order to insure success. They are in effect morals used to govern the group. No deities involved.

Of course, humans have surpassed this type of living, and now we don't really rely on each other as much in order to survive. It's no longer the survival of the group that we worry about, but the survival of ourselves.

But like I said, the problem with using this as an explanation of morals is that it's bringing in two different systems, both with views as to how we were created...by God, or by natural evolution. which makes this debate a bit of a conundrum.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the video of Assamu Binladen taking credit for the 9/11 attacks is authentic. So yes, we do know who did it. And what was so fishy about the blueprints of the building, exactly? If you hit a building that hard, it's going to come down. An event like that doesn't just effect the part of the building it hits, it effects the entire building. A shockwave from something like a plane hitting a building and then detonating would have to be enormous which would damage the infrastructure, and the fire that followed reportedly superheated the infrastructures of the buildings which weakened those sections and caused them to buckle.

In example of the shockwave thing, if a grenade goes off right next to you most of the time it is not the shrapnel that kills you, but the shockwave impacting your body. It works the same way as a building.

if you watched the clip on 9/11 you can see that after a plane crashed somehow there was a explosion where its not made by the plane, don't you feel fishy about that? and there were random piece falling, and our class made a model, base on the building when the plane crash only the top part should be fell of not the whole entire thing, i was looking at the clip for about 1month, and there were so many fishy stuff that bush did, just like katrina. so i think 9/11 is extremly fishy.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    As long as there have been humans there has been some sort of religion. I think it is a "built in" feature humans have.
    The concept of purpose is a different matter altogether.
    In my experience the concept of purpose goes hand in hand with religion. The entire point of religion is to attempt to answer the questions that just about everyone ends up asking themselves eventually. The Who, What , Where, and Why.

"Who am I?"
    "Where did I come from?"
    "Why am I here?"
    "What happens when I die?"

Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    if you watched the clip on 9/11 you can see that after a plane crashed somehow there was a explosion where its not made by the plane, don't you feel fishy about that? and there were random piece falling, and our class made a model, base on the building when the plane crash only the top part should be fell of not the whole entire thing, i was looking at the clip for about 1month, and there were so many fishy stuff that bush did, just like katrina. so i think 9/11 is extremly fishy.
    Not at all. Obviously your class is not engineers. There is a really good documentary on the subject that goes through the building and destruction of the buildings. It's part 8 of a series on New York and goes through it step by step with engineers who can explain it.

The Center of the World <-link

Check it out. It should answer all your questions.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    In my experience the concept of purpose goes hand in hand with religion. The entire point of religion is to attempt to answer the questions that just about everyone ends up asking themselves eventually. The Who, What , Where, and Why.

"Who am I?"
    "Where did I come from?"
    "Why am I here?"
    "What happens when I die?"
    True, that's why I think a human world without (some form of) religion isn't possible.

Notice:

People, I would like you to keep the 9/11 thread and the no religions thread separate.

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Religion is for the fools who cannot take responsibility for their actions and those who cannot be trusted with the freedom they think they deserve. If one did not have religion, for example, all the idiots who, once they realize there is no God to keep them in line, would simply violate every form of law known to man, from those developed to help govern society all the way to the biggies that come from morality (such as murder, etc).

Simply put, there ARE humans that are more equal than others. They are the ones who can reason and still function with a strict set of laws, knowing only they can hold themselves accountable for their actions. The remainder can only be controlled through a caste system or religion.

However, I favor the third alternative: government controlled breeding based on an individual's heredity.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Religion is for the fools who cannot take responsibility for their actions and those who cannot be trusted with the freedom they think they deserve. If one did not have religion, for example, all the idiots who, once they realize there is no God to keep them in line, would simply violate every form of law known to man, from those developed to help govern society all the way to the biggies that come from morality (such as murder, etc).
    I'd advise you to tone it down a bit. Sure, you may not believe in God or a higher being, and you may go to the ends of the earth believing that, but it doesn't mean that others who don't share your views are idiots or fools. That is practically flaming. There's nothing wrong with standing up for your beliefs, but others have a right to stand up and believe in theirs, and I'm sure that they would willingly follow their beliefs to the ends of the earth as well..

I'll leave with this point, and that is that there are those who claim that science is a religion in itself. Interestingly enough, it makes sense when you think about it. I have a Christmas program to attend to, but later tonight I'll fish up some links for you all.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Er......I gotta say that religion in itself isn't supposed to be some sort of restrictive entity to control actions (though once it becomes a political device it can be), but rather it is a way of explaining the world, like what Arrianna said, and what Silverskater was saying as it being a form of science, and to bring a sense of order.

This order and explanation is done through a deity like 'God' or another religious icon.

You're post is more of a question of man's nature than it is of religion, because you're implying the only thing keeping people from breaking laws is the idea of a 'God,' and that everyone is implicitly evil if not for religion (yet crimes are committed every day, and many people in the world are not religious yet don't commit crimes).

In effect, you're making it sound like religion was created (and governs everyone) by itself, when in fact religion is controlled by the people, not the other way around.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast