Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Obama: Is he a good president?

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Obama: Is he a good president?

Interesting topic.
    Well, to be honest, I won't dig too deep into this 'cause I'm no too much into politics, but some of his comments on education kind of pissed me off.
    Not to mention I get the feeling he doesn't really know what he's doing to be honest. He seems more talk then action, and it's catching up with him now. I agree with Zev with the fact that it feels like he's more in the spotlight for popularity and celebrity status then the country's best interest.
    But..like I said, I'm not into politics. That's just my opinion. I won't say he's the devil, but I certainly am not happy with the situation we'll be in with the debt and that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Utena Tenjo For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Sep 11, 2009)

Banned Blobber Champion, Spiffyspeud Champion, Knockturn Alley Champion, Feed Lindsay Lohan Champion, Satisfaction Champion, Narnia - Rapid Retreat Champion, Matrix Dock Defense Champion, Defend the Attack Champion, Uncover the Imposter Champion, Kong v/s New York Champion, Resident Evil Apocalypse Champion The Beatle is off to a good start
    Thanks

I think somebody should make a pole out of this thread so people can vote so we can tell what most of the site thinks about this subject and some people are scared to tell their opinion so know they would beable to vote.

Newbie Lelouch vi Britannia is off to a good start Lelouch vi Britannia's Avatar
    Thanks

Mostly good!

Passed equal pay for women
    Passed S-chip to cover children's Insurance
    Tried to close Gitmo
    Banned Torture
    Passed a stimulus bill to try and help fix the economy
    Is working on getting a Healt care bill reform passed, so everyone can be insured...
    Picked the first Woman latino for the Supreme Court
    Cut taxes on middle income families

He had broken some very important campaighn promises too, and that is not good!
    Promised to not tax people on Social Security disabiliy, if a couple makes less than $50k per year, that didn't happen.....
    He is not be strong enough or fighting hard enough to pass health Care to have a Public option
    Trys too hard to make the R's happy by being bi-partisan, then they vote no anyway on every thing he tries to pass

I could go on and on, but you get the idea, right??

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch vi Britannia View Post
    Mostly good!

Passed equal pay for women
    Passed S-chip to cover children's Insurance
    Tried to close Gitmo
    Banned Torture
    Passed a stimulus bill to try and help fix the economy
    Is working on getting a Healt care bill reform passed, so everyone can be insured...
    Cut taxes on middle income families

He had broken some very important campaighn promises too, and that is not good!
    Promised to not tax people on Social Security disabiliy, if a couple makes less than $50k per year, that didn't happen.....
    He is not be strong enough or fighting hard enough to pass health Care to have a Public option
    Trys too hard to make the R's happy by being bi-partisan, then they vote no anyway on every thing he tries to pass

I could go on and on, but you get the idea, right??
    There are so many things wrong with this I have no idea where to begin.

"Passed equal pay for women."
    Which will hopefully be enforced.

"Passed S-chip to cover children's Insurance."
    Don't know much about this as this is the first time hearing about it.

"Tried to close Gitmo."
    And now we have all the convicted terrorists IN SIDE the country and go through a much easier and leaniant system that they can get out of and return to their countries as heros and continue their terrorists activities, as several mambers have already been set free and have been known to go back to terrorisom. Way to go Mr. President.

"Banned Torture."
    Water boarding is hardly considered torture as we use it on our troops to toughen them up where they are under no real harm what so ever. Oh, lets no forget the horrific act of blowing cigar smoke in their face. And while we are at it lets completely forget how effective it was at stopping any more attacks on US soil which were all documented when these torture methods were released and how succesful they were.

"Passed a stimulus bill to try and help fix the economy."
    Which didn't do anything.

"Is working on getting a Healt care bill reform passed, so everyone can be insured..."
    Blowing up the best health care system in the world that just needs to be fixed but instead wants to blow that up for a system thats far more expensive and costly then you can immagen where HC will be rashioned, another wordes Gov. can say "no HC for you" and then tax you 20% for not having addiquit health care... Trust me, I can go on for ever on this one.

"Picked the first Woman latino for the Supreme Court."
    Seariously, who the hell cares and why is that important?

"Cut taxes on middle income families."
    And yet are still being taxed.

"Trys too hard to make the R's happy by being bi-partisan, then they vote no anyway on every thing he tries to pass"

I thought this was rather funny as hell. Obama doesnt give a rats ass about what Republicans think, mostly because even though almost all of them are against Obama, but even though Democrats hold 60 seats in the senet which is enough to pass anything he wants if the Democrats all say yes to, but most of Obamas opposition are other Democrats who are getting in his way and it is these Democrats he is trying to get on his side and not Republicans.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch vi Britannia View Post
    Mostly good!

?
    I don't like how this response is worded considering it put that next to good. I have no problem with any 'latino'(seriously, it's ridiculous, is it that offensive to say a real ethnicity like 'Hispanic'?) being voted into office.(Before you freak out, my grandmother's full Hispanic.)
    But when she's so biased that that is what she solely bases her verdict on, I have a huge problem with that.

Voting Sotomayor into that type of legislation didn't branch out racial tension and dilute it, it merely made it more prominent.
    By making a huge deal out of her ethnicity, we made it a problem. Not to mention the fact that she's unbelievable prejudice. So by pointing out over and over that she's 'Latino' and that Obama appointed her, it's impossible to touch her.

You can't criticize her, you can't question her ethics, because if you do, You're suddenly the racist. I don't know much about politics, but I can see a shit storm waiting to happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Utena Tenjo For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Sep 17, 2009)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

There are many different standars to measure history and persidents by. It used to be if a president won a war he was thought of as awesome. Others are only good at economy. We are in a huge military quagmire and have a bad economy. Obama has has both kept a bad economy and has troops in two different countries.

In short the answer is yes he is a bad president I mean come on.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Just pointing out just because some of his promises haven't been implemented yet, doesn't mean He's broken them.

Lets face it, He hasn't even been in office a year yet, and he's still got 3 more years to make good on those promises. Not to mention that because of the recession, it might take some time, or even more then one term in office, to implement the promises.

You cannot expect something big like a taxcut that would effect almost 90% of the population to be put into effect in a presidents first year, especially in the middle of a recession.

And as for keeping the opposition happy? Thats politics. Just because you try and keep them happy, and then they don't do what you want them to do, doesn't mean the act of keeping them happy is worthless.

Let me put it simply: You scratch my back, then you ask me for a favor, but I say no, I'm still going to remember that you scratched my back. Get what I'm saying?

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    There are many different standars to measure history and persidents by. It used to be if a president won a war he was thought of as awesome. Others are only good at economy. We are in a huge military quagmire and have a bad economy. Obama has has both kept a bad economy and has troops in two different countries.

In short the answer is yes he is a bad president I mean come on.
    How can you say that he's a bad president when he hasn't even been in office a year. You just don't understand how the world works. Yes, it sucks that troops are in two different countries, yes it sucks that there's a bad economy. But how is that Obama's fault, and how does those things make him a bad president? Because he didn't pull the troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq immediately after taking office? Because he didn't pull a magical Unicorn out of his ass and made the bad economy into pink butterflies and sugar-faeries? Come ON man, actually think things through before making snap judgments.

You cannot expect a man to fix huge things like Afghanistan, Iraq and the Economy in one year. That is impossible.

Let me explain things too you: Afghanistan and Iraq are not going to be going away anytime soon. If the US pulled out of either of those countries tomorrow, they would descend into chaos and death and destruction would rule the day because of the civil war that would erupt. Then you would have to consider the economic impact: A stable middle east means low oil prices. Remember when the US invaded Iraq how the price of Oil did a high jump? Wasn't too nice was it.

The Economy will only fix itself with time, and the spending of trillions of dollars. Pure and simple, ask any economist.
    Last edited by aceman67; Sep 18, 2009 at 06:31 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Sep 19, 2009)

Thanks

I agree, I definitely am not someone who thinks he can just magically solve the country's mega problems, and I admit he is human and makes mistakes and that. But I will say that even though he's only been in office for that period of time, it's ridiculous how much he has spent. I mean, c'mon.

And I don't expect him to fix the economy to be honest. Politics and Economics are not the same thing, and people need to realize that it's not always up to the President to 'fix' the economy. But paying off the large companies just doesn't stand well with me.
    I truly believe that just like in natural selection it's just natural that businesses fail, and new ones sprout in their place, and that is what is truly going to help heal the economy, not saving the toppling over companies from imminent downfall.
    And so in my eyes, yes, it's too early to judge if he's a good or bad president, but he isn't off to a great start.
    I think that if over the course of 3 years he fully proves me wrong, then I will very happily accept that, but if not...
    Last edited by Utena Tenjo; Sep 18, 2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Damn typos.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast