+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: obesity and the media

Newbie AriesFireAngel is off to a good start AriesFireAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

obesity and the media

now some times this can be a touchy subject but never the less its one i enjoy discussing. many obese and overweight people believe that because the media puts such a negative stigma on being "fuller figured" that its discrimination. that its making normally large people with high self esteem feel like they should be ashamed of their bodies and appearance. and some even believe that the media pressures people into feeling like they have to lose weight in order to be healthy when some believe you can be obese and healthy.

how do you feel about obesity? do you think that obese people are the subjects of discrimination? and is there really such a thing as being obese and healthy?

Newbie Tamahome is off to a good start Tamahome's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: obesity and the media

Well no, I don't believe there is a such thing as being obese and healthy. I know if I were obese, I wouldn't have as much speed and stamina as I do now. Essentially, being obese means you're out of shape.

That being said, it's about how one feels about him/herself. It's just that not many people find obesity very...attractive. How many people do you hear say they want to be obese? I guess you can say they are discriminated against.

Otaku keitamoro is off to a good start keitamoro's Avatar
    Thanks

Obesity is when someone is out of shape and people who are obese shouldn't be discrimination objects cause they could change by doing daily running and other activities.Honestly I don't think that being obese and healthy would be possible because usually obese people wouldn't be able to run as much as an person who is skinny and also that their arteries are going to be clogged more easilly then people who are in shape.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if I can call it discrimination. But it creates a self fulfilling cycle. You get made fun of because of your weight and then you eat out of security and stress issues so you get bigger.

Thanks

its not an argument that they make about being in shape, its more of "i'm over weight and i don't have high blood pressure or take any pills"

but i do thinking its BS all the same. i think they miss the bigger picture, sure you can meet some one who is obese who needs no medication or has any sever medical condition. but thats just one person not every obese person will be so lucky

but at some point you have to own up to yourself about your weight, if you don't like it do something about it, but don't point the finger at the media and cry "well you made me this way!" or "you make me depressed about being this way."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AriesFireAngel For This Useful Post:

Tamahome (May 20, 2010)

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Depends what you call 'obese'. Sure there are those people that are really big and actually do need help.

The people I feel sorry for a those who are just bigger naturally and no matter what they do will always be. Yet due to the so called BMI are classified as over weight.

So yeah I do believe that you can be overweight and healthy (if we are talking about BMI standards here), but obviously there are those that are morbidly obese and need help. (i read this article a while ago if anyone is interested), but i believe it does depend on the person as to what weight it starts becoming un healthy

as for discrimination, no one deserves it, whether they are morbidly obese or not, I mean, some ones health is down to them and there doctor. The media can be horrible some times and I'm curious to know the bad side effects to all the attention of obesity in the media. can we expect to see more eating disorders because people are scared of become big? or even mental issues to all those that yo-yo diet and feel depressed about it? Variety in sizes people..its only natural

Thanks

it is sad for those who's weight has always been heavy all their life. my sister is over weight but all her life she has been that way and she is one of the most physically active people i know. how ever that weight has taken its toll. her back hurts almost every day and her knees are starting to hurt as well. so there are always health concerns. you can't walk around with so much extra weight and it not take its toll.

though i believe the media is trying to take a more positive light upon it. some people call it harsh when they put on shows around the 600 or 500 pound person who is bed ridden but its a wake up call for most people. it shows us where we could end up if we don't at least try to stay active or watch what we eat. no one should ever have to live their life laying in a bed unable to walk under the strain of their own body.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AriesFireAngel For This Useful Post:

Tamahome (May 20, 2010)

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Obesity is a genetically inherited trait or the embodiment of someone's bad habits, I'd also like to point out that there isn't such a thing as a naturally large person unless you're talking about muscle weight.

The other day some idiot tried telling me that obesity was a disease and I ended up telling him the same thing over and over again for ten minutes, that obesity is not a disease but rather, the effects of obesity lead to diseases. No one should consider this a touchy subject because it's a relevant health issue affecting so many people that something needs to be done, though this does feed into the image crisis of this past decade.

People are allowing themselves to be misled into the various social molds that dominate pop culture, from redneck to bohemian people strive to find their identity in the vast sea of stereotypes. Unfortunately obese people literally don't fit in and there's a reason behind that: fat people should not exist. They are a modern mutation of human beings bred by our prosperity which is only escalating. Please, don't take offense to what I say as I'm not discriminating at all, just pointing out the obvious.

Obesity should be treated as the medical threat it is though I doubt it'll happen any time soon. There's no point in sugar coating something so dangerous.
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FLawEdmiNd For This Useful Post:

Tamahome (May 21, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast