+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: obesity and the media

Newbie AriesFireAngel is off to a good start AriesFireAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: obesity and the media

no offense is taken FLawEdmiNd. i'm even a fat person and i don't take offense lol i agree entirely, in a better world fat people would not exist. we would all be more physically active and we would be more concerned with the types of food and the quantity we eat it in. and yes when you think about it its a mutation, not only do you change on the outside but often the heart becomes enlarged as well, your stomach will expand as large as it needs to become over time, i think the largest amount a human stomach can hold is 6 quarts at its most enlarged state when you think about it thats 24 cups. the average serving size is one cup so that means at some point you can expand your stomach large enough to hold 24 meals at once. if thats not a deforming mutation i'm not really sure what is.
    but yes as i said before i am obese and have been for maybe 5 years. but over the past 2 i have committed full heart and soul into changing myself for the better and so far i'd say i have a lot to show for it. aches and pains i used to have are gone. i have much more energy then i have had in a long time. i just wish i could make other obese people in my life understand what a good change this is. but some are so stubborn, and think that there is nothing wrong with being fat and happy. i just want to scream some times is it really going to make you that unhappy to go for a walk once a day?
    some people are hopelessly flawed

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

I think obesity is out of control because we are conditioned from birth to eat for reasons other than hunger. For instance we eat because we are taught we should eat at a certain time. This gets ingrained in us and never really goes away.

Newbie AriesFireAngel is off to a good start AriesFireAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree that we do become motivated through habits we are taught to eat when we are not hungry. like when you do good in school or at sports your parents take you out for ice cream. eventually we start looking at food as a way to reward ourselves instead of to simply nourish ourselves.
    but i think the core of the problem is still portion control. i mean think about it does any one really look at labels any more to see what a serving size for what they are eating is? i mean when you were a kid and your mom or dad was going to make you ravioli or spaghetti o's they always gave you the whole can right? but there is actually 2.5 servings in that can. from the time we are little we are taught to ignore that label and just eat the whole thing. i mean hell this is a little embarrassing but until a few years back when i started trying to lose weight i have never looked at the back of those cans so i had no clue how many serving were in them, i just never questioned it i suppose. its eye opening

Otaku Lenne may be famous one day Lenne may be famous one day Lenne's Avatar
    Thanks

I do think that the media affects what people think! I have a friends who say they are fat and when I look at them I'm like you aren't fat or anywhere near it! I'd also agree that most but not all people bring this upon themselves.. the eat and eat and never work it off.. then again some people it is genetic.. and in some people they can eat and eat and stay skinny.. Like me I eat very unhealthy fatty foods and candy all day all the time anf have never had a problem.. people tell me I'm thin but rather I'd say I'm average.. I'd say I do work out maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks or maybe once a month.. (basketball for cardio and lifting/ab workouts!)

Newbie BuckTurgidson is off to a good start BuckTurgidson's Avatar
    Thanks

I, for one, believe it's wrong to disrespect people on account of their, uh, corpulency.

But still, that doesn't get them off the hook. If they really cared about themselves, people ought to watch what they eat and what they do throughout their day, rather than hide behind phrases such as "big and beautiful" and "more to love" and find other ways and excuses to justify their undue girth. Nothing seriously objectionable with being fat, it's just plain unhealthy.

Stuffing your face till the cows come home can have very unpleasant consequences, you see. No need for me to elaborate. Also you do yourself a great injustice if you don't get out and work out regularly.

But that's just my opinion... After all, who am I to tell other people what to do with their lives? Whatever floats your boat.

"Everything is permitted, but not everything helps." Wise words, those.
    I ain't got those "speshul" privileges yet so, uh, ignore the cutesy user pic for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2