Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Marijuana Debate. Legalize or No?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Obligatory Marijuana Debate. Legalize or No?

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    When what you do, causes harm to others... is when a law should come into play.

I MOST drugs should be legalized.

I am a firm believer in ones right to do with their body what they chose. To medicate themselves with whatever they chose.

The line drawn, is when what you do with yourself and your body.... Starts to spill over into the lives of your friends, family, neighbors.... ect.
    Marijuana use does spill over into the lives of family members just like any other choice people make. Why people persist in thinking they are islands is beyond me. Everything you do effects others and it effects those who love us and are close to us more then anyone else. The ripples of our actions then spread to society itself which is why society has a vested interest in laws against actions that create a drain upon it if not outright negative results.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    I am a marijuana addict. One of few people pot smokers you'll find who would admit to a dependency. I don't believe I abuse it though. However, my boby, my psyche, my brain chemistry... it has all adjusted to regular pot use. Much like a person who gets headaches without coffee. I get a little anxious after a while of not smoking. But I have gone long periods without it. WITH LOTS OF EFFORT. My dependency on marijuana causes little to no harm to my friends, family, or neighbors.
    Addiction Inbox: Marijuana Withdrawal
    "What has emerged in the past ten years is a profile of marijuana withdrawal, where none existed before. The syndrome is marked by irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling. Many patients complain of feeling like they have a low-grade flu, and they describe a psychological state of existential uncertainty—“inner unrest,” as one researcher calls it."
    That is simply part of being addicted not being "adjusted" to it. As for whether it effects others, have you asked them? The family members of people I know who have done pot were more then a little bothered by it and what it did to them though they would rarely admit it and instead pretended everything was fine, until you got them in a private conversation on the subject. Disgust was common if not outright anxiety or anger.

There is a reason that there are services offered for families of marijuana addicts:
    Marijuana Addiction Intervention - Family Help
    Marijuana Anonymous World Services
    Dealing with a Family Member's Marijuana Addiction - OrganizedWisdom Health
    Loving An Addict - Marijuana Support Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EmoNightmareRose View Post
    1. I agree with the above statements from Arianna. (who argues when facts are laid down in front of you?)
    Thank you.
    2. You have to factor in who's taking the drug.
    The problem with that is that it is often impossible to know until after the fact. Someone with an propensity to addiction only needs one "hit" of a substance to get hooked, then it's to late. It is the same with schizophrenia. All studies indicate if you have any tendency toward mental illness the use of marijuana can and will trigger it. Again most often there is no way to know who this is until they try it and find out the hard way. Now you tell me how they are supposed to regulate it just for those who are in "danger" and not everyone else?
    "Marijuana is a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule I drugs are classified as having a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision."
    Incidentally the number of users who is addicted is estimated at 10%. Can you tell me of any other drug, that addicts 1 out of 10 users, yet has/would still get approved for general use?

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusDemon23 View Post
    Isn't this the umpteenth thread of the same subject?
    I smoke weed all day, every day............And I'm sick of this thread being repeated all the time.

Go make a thread on Meth or something.
    Here you go: meth makes you ugly
    Since that was nearly 3 years ago though you'll have to start your own.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

Zev (May 11, 2009)

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Thank you.
    The problem with that is that it is often impossible to know until after the fact. Someone with an propensity to addiction only needs one "hit" of a substance to get hooked, then it's to late. It is the same with schizophrenia. All studies indicate if you have any tendency toward mental illness the use of marijuana can and will trigger it. Again most often there is no way to know who this is until they try it and find out the hard way. Now you tell me how they are supposed to regulate it just for those who are in "danger" and not everyone else?
    That's very true, but like gun control, there should be psychological screening. Honestly, they should have that for all prescription drugs, simply because Valium or Lithium isn't safe around the right person.

But the difference is that pot is not nearly as addictive as the hardcore drugs. Crack after one use means no matter who the person is they will be hooked. Heroin is very similar.
    I've seen someone get forcibly injected(don't worry, the person who did is in jail right now. Drugs are a issue in my family) with Heroin. This person has no psychological flaws and does not have a addictive personality. They were horribly addicted after one small use.

Marijuana addiction is not worse than sleeping pill dependency, anxiety pill dependency, uppers/downers, and other prescription drugs.
    If we need to bash a legal drug. Do Methadone.

Once again, I've witnessed first hand someone with no addictive personality trying to get off of Heroin. So they were advised to be put on Methadone, the legal drug.
    Methadone took 2 years to get off of. Normally people never get off. Never.

It caused highly impaired vision, intestinal obstructions(what they said was worse than the pain of child birth), and continuous indigestion problems to the point of handicap.

Not to mention, the people at the Methadone clinic tried to keep them on it for money. The doctors cheated the patients, and even had outside connections with dealers to try to get new patients. Gave out false information, and more.

And thats at a Legal clinic.

Pot can be a 'gateway' drug to the bad side. But you know what? What if it could help people get off of worse drugs, and the government makes their money too?

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    If the thread is "obligatory" KenX it is just because no one has made the thread for you to have your yearly argument for legalization.
    Duh.

Since we have done this dance before shall I open with the usual myths?
    Yes lets open all your usual "false" claims that you always seem to say is true.
    1. Marijuana use has no effect on future use of other drugs: False
    Early marijuana use increases risk of drug and alcohol problems later in life
    "Some 46 percent reported that they later abused or became dependent upon marijuana, and 43 percent had become alcohol dependent.

The early marijuana users also used other drugs at higher rates, including cocaine and other stimulants (48 percent) heroin and other opioids (14 percent) and hallucinogens (35 percent)."
    (Early being younger then 17.)
    Yes aceman, I checked the recent study but I found the summery to not necessarily say what they claimed. ie. 77.6% of them did follow the gateway pattern and they were unable to revel specific risk factors for the transition. In other words they proved nothing.
    People only fallow the gateway pattern when they realize Marijuana isn't a deadly, physically addictive substance as it is portrayed to be. But I can make the same argument that Cigarettes and Alcohol are gateway substances. I had a friend That went straight from drinking to doing meth. Didn't touch marijuana until afterhe hit up the glass pipe.

2. There have never been recorded incidents of death from marijuana use (cancer, car accident, overdose, etc): Misleading

There has never been a "record" of it because no one has tried to until recently. The recent study on driving found it to be a "bad idea", the one on cancer indefinite, overdosing causes other serious issues. I can claim all kinds of things to be true under that reasoning. "There is no conclusive study so it's harmless." Riiiiight...
    NIDA - Research Report Series - Marijuana Abuse
    "Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke.4 A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and that the more marijuana smoked, the greater the increase.17 A statistical analysis of the data suggested that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.
    Every other word in that study contains the word "may" which in this case is a very powerful word. You see, this Study stacked against other recent extensive studies that show it doesn't, But infact that it has medical benefits.

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com

Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lighted up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

3. There is no effect on regular users of marijuana, they are just like everyone else: False
    Marijuana - InfoFacts - NIDA
    Effects on Daily Life
    Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse. In one study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including physical and mental health, cognitive abilities, social life, and career status.11 Several studies associate workers’ marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers’ compensation claims, and job turnover.
    Let me label the effects of marijuana.

1. Hungry
    2. Lazy

That's it. This study really doesn't help out your arguement at all. Smoking does not take away your ability to Be Responsible. You can be an outstanding worker and still be high. I take some puffs on weed every morning before work, and a couple puff during lunch sometimes. This in no way affects my ability to do and maintain my work. Sometimes even INCREASING my ability. But you know what? I'm not going to say it's the weed doing it, it's me. I feel more relaxed therefore i tend to work faster and concentrate more.

4. It is impossible to OD on marijuana: False
    o·ver·dose
    n.

An excessive dose, especially of a narcotic.

NIDA - Research Report Series - Marijuana Abuse
    "Marijuana users who have taken high doses of the drug may experience acute toxic psychosis, which includes hallucinations, delusions, and depersonalization - a loss of the sense of personal identity, or self-recognition.10,15 Although the specific causes of these symptoms remain unknown, they appear to occur more frequently when a high dose of cannabis is consumed in food or drink rather than smoked."
    I have a friend who did this in high school and spent 2 days strapped to a hospital bed because of it.
    We are not going over this again. You're friend probably smoked weed that was laced with something. Motherf*ckers do it all the time. Your friend should of know what it was before doing it. IF she said it was straight JUST marijuana, I don't believe her. That or she could just be extremely allergic. I have a friend who is allergic to something in marijuana, so he also can't smoke it.

KNown Marijuana Overdoese deaths - 0

5. Marijuana isn't a hallucinogenic. People who hallucinated must have taken something else: False
    Yeah, some marijuana is hallucinogenic, i've had some. Good stuff.

6. Marijuana isn't addictive: False
    Marijuana is frequently referred to as the most psychologically addicting drug there is. Addiction to marijuana stunts emotional and psychological growth and effects the users ability to handle stress. It is also physically addicting now thanks to dealers breeding it for strength.
    This is a common misconception people have when talking about the addictiveness of marijuana.

No Marijuana is not physically addictive.

It is Mentally addictive. There is no one in the history of any study that anyone has had withdraws from THC. People only think they need weed because it just enhances everythign they do in life that it's boring to be sober. I've stopped smoking for 2 months after toking up 24/7 365 for 6 years. After the first 3 days not smoking, it's cake.

7. There is no long term effect of using marijuana, it is safe: False
    Marijuana | Marijuana Addiction and Marijuana Effects
    "A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and schizophrenia."
    Marijuana being linked to Schizophrenia isn't going to help your arguement out when lots of Non-Smokers are diagnosed with schizophrenia everyday.

Information on schizophrenia symptoms, diagnosis, medication

The studies in your links don't take on account that the testees could of had schizophrenia passed down from family.

8. Lastly and my favorite, marijuana needs to be legalized so it can be used for medical purposes: False

"Marijuana is a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule I drugs are classified as having a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision."[/INDENT]
    This is only because proper bills addressing the concern for medical marijuana haven't been taken into consideration by congress yet. But My generation will experience some type of legal marijuana. Oh they will.

When you get down to it marijuana is a drug. Unless you are also prepared to legalize all other prescription drugs to over the counter and allow people to take whatever they want whenever they want the arguments for legalizing marijuana have no foundation.
    No, when you get down to it Marijuana is a plant. And when you happens to set fire to that plant and smoke it you get some effects. ANd those effects are Hungry and sleepy with a heightened sense of Hippy.

Isn't this the umpteenth thread of the same subject?
    I smoke weed all day, every day............And I'm sick of this thread being repeated all the time.

Go make a thread on Meth or something.
    Shut up and get out of my thread.

Post Pt.2

Addiction Inbox: Marijuana Withdrawal
    "What has emerged in the past ten years is a profile of marijuana withdrawal, where none existed before. The syndrome is marked by irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling. Many patients complain of feeling like they have a low-grade flu, and they describe a psychological state of existential uncertainty—“inner unrest,” as one researcher calls it."
    That is simply part of being addicted not being "adjusted" to it. As for whether it effects others, have you asked them? The family members of people I know who have done pot were more then a little bothered by it and what it did to them though they would rarely admit it and instead pretended everything was fine, until you got them in a private conversation on the subject. Disgust was common if not outright anxiety or anger.
    That study is a just a mediocre attack. And is in nothing compared to real withdraws to real drugs (heroin, meth)

Like anything you take there are bound to be some withdraws. The case with marijuana seems to be less hardcore than Cigarette withdraws. Please, Arianna, you should be smart enough to know that there are no real problems with marijuana withdraws as lets say, Heroin withdraws.

But to say withdrawing from marijuana is serious, then I just point and laugh at you.
    Last edited by aceman67; May 11, 2009 at 09:10 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KenX For This Useful Post:

Legend (May 11, 2009)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

That's very true, but like gun control, there should be psychological screening. Honestly, they should have that for all prescription drugs, simply because Valium or Lithium isn't safe around the right person.
    May I point out that you can only screen for prescription drugs which are not "legal" either. There is no screening for alcohol or tobacco other then age and there wouldn't be for any other drug that was legalized either.

Quote Originally Posted by KenX View Post
    Yes lets open all your usual "false" claims that you always seem to say is true.
    You mean your usual denial of established medical fact by those who treat people for both psychological and physical addiction? No worries, I expect it by now.

As for cancer I did mention it was indefinite. Essentially the studies are still in their infancy. Some studies say yes other no some say it depends on the exact location in the lung and on and on... indefinite.

The studies in your links don't take on account that the testees could of had schizophrenia passed down from family.
    On the contrary they mention it as a major concern. It is mentioned frequently as a trigger for people who have a predisposition. A trigger that would have only had a 1 in 7 (if I remember correctly) chance of activating if they hadn't. That is like saying that alcohol had no factor in someone from a family of alcoholics becoming one because others become alcoholics too.

No, when you get down to it Marijuana is a plant. And when you happens to set fire to that plant and smoke it you get some effects. ANd those effects are Hungry and sleepy with a heightened sense of Hippy.
    With potential hallucinations, delusions, and depersonalization, not to mention; irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling when in withdrawals (both psychological and physical reactions).

Every drug came from a plant originally. So did arsenic but I doubt somehow you ingest that regularly.

I will repeat what I have said to you before. When dealing with an addictive drug those who partake in it are not in a position to make an unbiased decision on the subject. Thank you for proving that frequently.

Thanks

You mean your usual denial of established medical fact by those who treat people for both psychological and physical addiction? No worries, I expect it by now.
    I've already disapproved your "marijuana is physically addictive" theory. yes, theory.

MARIJUANA ADDICTION

If you want to see physically addictive, look at a Heroin addict. But don't go peddling it on Marijuana users.

With potential hallucinations, delusions, and depersonalization, not to mention; irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling when in withdrawals (both psychological and physical reactions).
    I fail to see how these are any real threat to anyone let alone it being of any concern. Sounds like someone trying to cut down on cigarettes to me.

I will repeat what I have said to you before. When dealing with an addictive drug those who partake in it are not in a position to make an unbiased decision on the subject. Thank you for proving that frequently.
    Just like those who have never done it or who know people who they say were "strapped in a hospital for 2 days" have biased opinions against it? Yeah, you aren't going anywhere with that.

Face it. Marijuana isn't dangerous. Atleast it isn't anymore dangerous than cigarettes are. Yet cigarettes remain legal despite being obviously linked to Lung Cancer. Alcohol while causing loads of drunk driving deaths remain a capital of industry here in the United states and other parts of the world.

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

May I point out that you can only screen for prescription drugs which are not "legal" either. There is no screening for alcohol or tobacco other then age and there wouldn't be for any other drug that was legalized either.
    Why don't they do it like this then:
    Pot is an under the counter drug only available through picture ID, and after a psychological screening process previous. Meaning either have it licensed,
    and this would then apply to all potentially harmful/addictive legal drugs.

And also, I stress the psychological screening because of the statements of KenX. Yes, from medical and psychological research mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder, anxiety, and even Anti Social tendencies can be tapped through any sort of substance abuse.

Oh and by the way, I'm neither Pro nor Con for this argument. I can still get weed if its legal or not, it's just a question of who's getting the money from it.

Thanks

I've already disapproved your "marijuana is physically addictive" theory. yes, theory.

MARIJUANA ADDICTION
    Old school thought. More recent research has found otherwise for those who are chronic/heavy users especially with the more potent versions available nowdays. If you can keep up to date on the cancer research surely you can keep an eye on that as well. (Oh wait, you still believe that a drug classified as a hallucinogenic doesn't cause hallucinations. ) Besides, what makes you think the physical addiction is the most important part anyway?
    NIDA - The Essence of Drug Addiction
    "Physical dependence is not that important because, first, even the florid withdrawal symptoms of heroin and alcohol addiction can be managed with appropriate medications. Therefore, physical withdrawal symptoms should not be at the core of our concerns about these substances.

Second, and more important, many of the most addicting and dangerous drugs do not even produce very severe physical symptoms upon withdrawal. Crack cocaine and methamphetamine are clear examples. Both are highly addicting, but stopping their use produces very few physical withdrawal symptoms, certainly nothing like the physical symptoms of alcohol or heroin withdrawal.

What does matter tremendously is whether or not a drug causes what we now know to be the essence of addiction: uncontrollable, compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. This is the crux of how many professional organizations all define addiction, and how we all should use the term. It is really only this expression of addiction - uncontrollable, compulsive craving, seeking and use of drugs - that matters to the addict and to his or her family, and that should matter to society as a whole. These are the elements responsible for the massive health and social problems caused by drug addiction."
    Good afternoon.

Why don't they do it like this then:
    Pot is an under the counter drug only available through picture ID, and after a psychological screening process previous. Meaning either have it licensed,
    and this would then apply to all potentially harmful/addictive legal drugs.
    No matter how it is done if distributed as a medical drug it still has to be approved by the FDA after proving it to be reasonably safe. If they can't do that with medical proof it won't happen nor should it. You would think that with so many lobby groups on the bandwagon if it really is as harmless as some people claim it would have been relatively easy to prove by now. hmmmmm....

Thanks

Old school thought. More recent research has found otherwise for those who are chronic/heavy users especially with the more potent versions available nowdays.
    If you can keep up to date on the cancer research surely you can keep an eye on that as well.
    Your NIDA research is based off tests done in the 90s. Where as tests done in the last 10 years just disprove every link you put up there? I think you are the one needed to get up to date.

(Oh wait, you still believe that a drug classified as a hallucinogenic doesn't cause hallucinations. )
    I don't know where you think I said this but it shows how fledgling your research is.

Besides, what makes you think the physical addiction is the most important part anyway?
    NIDA - The Essence of Drug Addiction
    "Physical dependence is not that important because, first, even the florid withdrawal symptoms of heroin and alcohol addiction can be managed with appropriate medications. Therefore, physical withdrawal symptoms should not be at the core of our concerns about these substances.

Second, and more important, many of the most addicting and dangerous drugs do not even produce very severe physical symptoms upon withdrawal. Crack cocaine and methamphetamine are clear examples. Both are highly addicting, but stopping their use produces very few physical withdrawal symptoms, certainly nothing like the physical symptoms of alcohol or heroin withdrawal.

What does matter tremendously is whether or not a drug causes what we now know to be the essence of addiction: uncontrollable, compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. This is the crux of how many professional organizations all define addiction, and how we all should use the term. It is really only this expression of addiction - uncontrollable, compulsive craving, seeking and use of drugs - that matters to the addict and to his or her family, and that should matter to society as a whole. These are the elements responsible for the massive health and social problems caused by drug addiction."
    This quote just proves how harmless Pot is. SO I don't know what your aim was when posting it. Cocaine and Meth, both more harmful than marijuana, said to cause hardly any physical symptoms during withdraw. So this just makes your "With potential hallucinations, delusions, and depersonalization, not to mention; irritability, restlessness, generalized anxiety, hostility, depression, difficulty sleeping, excessive sweating, loose stools, loss of appetite, and a general “blah” feeling when in withdrawals (both psychological and physical reactions)." That much more diluted.

Not to mention the above quote isn't pertaining to any drug in particular but just drug addiction in general.

When said that pot is Mentally addictive is sort of a play on words. WHy do people feel they need to smoke pot? Because it makes doing nothing so much better. Can they stop whenever they want to? Absolutely! They have to to pass drug tests at some point.

No matter how it is done if distributed as a medical drug it still has to be approved by the FDA after proving it to be reasonably safe. If they can't do that with medical proof it won't happen nor should it. You would think that with so many lobby groups on the bandwagon if it really is as harmless as some people claim it would have been relatively easy to prove by now. hmmmmm....
    Deaths from Marijuana v. 17 FDA-Approved Drugs - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Yeah.

Last edited by KenX; May 11, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast